Parent reviews for Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians Poster Image

I really enjoyed this review; it really spoke to me about the importance of someone's heritage. Being of Asian heritage myself, I love this movie. I enjoy seeing an all Asian movie that is comical and makes the whole story about Asia. Though despite all the good things about this movie, it still does not show the rich culture of Asia or help get rid of some of the stereotypes that are associated with Asian Culture. I have two younger brothers that are both in high school, despite them seeing movies with blood and war, I would not allow either of them to watch this movie. This movie despite it not being filled with too much sexual context still has quite a bit. It highlights that sleeping together before marriage is acceptable and normal, it sexualizes bachelor parties and idolizes money. with that, there are some extremely high points for this movie. It stresses the importance of family and how a family is always there for you. Its high lights the importance of being independent and not realizing on a man or woman to make you happy and my personal favorite it pays homage to the importance of elders. I enjoyed reading the review and really loved some of the points you made.

2 people found this helpful.

1 person found this helpful.

Elevates the source material!

My husband watched this on a flight and recommended I watch it. It was a breath of fresh air to watch a large production with all people of color. The Singapore setting is of course lush and beautiful and true to life. And the beginning of the film was delicious to see the look on the hotel employees faces. The regal and always excellent Michelle Yeoh was fabulous throughout. I especially enjoyed how there were moments where the film appeared to veer into stereotypical Asian sentimentality and then would proceed to slap you upside the head with your pre-conceived ideas and assumptions. Akwafina shines as does Ken Jeong...his entrance is spectacular and sets the definitive tone for the film. A film for the bilingual, bicultural, bifabulous.

It was so good

It had bad words but there was positive messages. Also, there was dumplings (Hmmmmmmm). I liked the end scene but no spoilers. I liked the character Astrid. My son Jack loved the movie and he watched it when he was younger!

Funny Rom Com

I watched this with my daughters ages 11 and 14 and they loved it. I was a little concerned because the book was sort of risque but they cleaned it up in the movie. There's an empowered female lead and a positive love story between the two main characters with family drama mixed in.

Cultural Representation BAD

Disappointing in the way asian culture is presented. Inaccuracy...