Parent reviews for Despicable Me 2

Despicable Me 2 Poster Image

Despicable Me 2 : "Underware" Soundtrack is funny to hear

great movie for the whole family to enjoy Much funnier than the first one, Despicable Me 2 actually has me liking the second installation in a series much better than the original. A lot of sequels add in new characters. Some serve a purpose. Others not so much. This movie adds in new characters that are important. With funnier lines, funnier actions, and tons of minion madness, the movie has us focusing less on Gru's villainy, and more on the love life he never had.

1 person found this helpful.

Scary, violent, inappropriate

I agree with many of the other reviews here, and am disappointed that I couldn't rely on the Common Sense overview - which I have come to trust! Why no mention of the big scary purple monster? A full screen of fangs and roaring is definitely too much for younger or sensitive viewers - I would have expected a heads up from this site. Sexuality, the disturbing drugging and disposal of the female date, general mock violence all really made this not as much fun as I expected. Had to stop the dvd at the monster part, but would have liked to earlier!

1 person found this helpful.

Less than a half hour in and already seen a minion's bikini fall down and another minion grab him where the bikini was

Minions movies, like most Disney movies, profit because even though the movies are (supposedly) directed at kids, they are also entertaining for adults. Therefore, an adult won't mind buying the movie or seeing it in the theater because it doesn't bore the life out of them. Lately though, Disney has been crossing the line when it comes to being appropriate for children. This movie is an example of that. I haven't watched the entire thing but like I said in the title, I wasn't even a half hour into this movie when at a Hawiian themed party one of the minion's coconut bikini fell down and another minion immediately put their hand on the spot that was covered by the coconut cup. This disgusted me. I still haven't finished the movie, but as a parent wondering if this is suitable for my kids, that's all I would need to know. I gave it 2 stars because if you can get over the adult (so called) humor its moderately interesting for a kids movie. This is the rating I would've given it without adult scenes.

Great Movie for all ages

I watched this movie two years ago, and it was amazing! Sure, there was some cartoon violence, like dart guns and stuff, but, I mean, looney tones attack themselves All The Time, so, yeah. All the 18+ reviews are complete nonsense!

More wasted Hollywood talent

Entirely inappropriate for kids under 11. There’s so much violence I have to wonder if the writer is disturbed or out of ideas. It’s magnificently misogynist and tries to make up for this by making the main female character exceptionally violent. One of the main themes is obsessed with dating and does nothing for the ridiculous plot. Even the songs and score are entirely unimaginative. Lazy filmmaking at its best based on a money making formulaic franchise.

A great family friendly movie

I do not believe the things these other parents are saying. Sure there are some violent scenes but they are all displayed comically and nobody ever dies or is seriously hurt. This movie is fine for all ages and is actually quite heartwarming.

Violence warning

Relies on blood-less cartoonified violence for comedy/laughs right from the beginning of the movie. Recommend reading: Pediatrics, 2014, Vol 134(5), Commentary - Escalating Violence in PG-13 Movies, by Jeanne Van Cleave.