Parent reviews for Dora and the Lost City of Gold

Dora and the Lost City of Gold Poster Image

TERRIFYING

I was so scared during the opening scene that I dropped my popcorn! It's a great plot and there's not really any bad language. Apparently Dora wants to mate some people which is kind of weird. Other than that it's a great movie. Boots sounds like a Chainsmoker but he is so cute though.

1 person found this helpful.

My kids, 7, 10, 14 watched it,

In the movie, there is a conversation about mating, one teen ager says ' don't talk to me about mating' and they joke about it back and forth. Which idiot thought, hey let's put a conversation about matting in a movie 7 or younger kids might watch?

1 person found this helpful.

Exploring=good, treasure hunting= bad

I appreciate so much the overarching theme that being an explorer is exciting and being a treasure hunter is problematic. That alone felt like an important palette cleanser for our 7yo with all the other media out there that doesn’t address that treasures belong to someone/ communities and should be respected and left alone. I also enjoyed how Dora modeled not losing herself to peer pressure, how she resists mean girl culture (and wins over the rival girl, who becomes a friend) and the incorporation of Spanish (of course) and Quechua. (There’s a great Latino USA podcast episode where the Dora actress speaks about learning Quechua from her abuela.) All that said, our 7yo is a super scaredy-cat and I was shocked she could handle this. It helped that I watched this movie on my own first and then would pause to let her know that they were about to be kidnapped and that everyone was gonna be ok, etc (and that in general, no one actually gets hurt or dies in the movie). And she was truly ok and never had to close her eyes. My partner and kid and I all really enjoyed this movie and laughed so much. This is a special one.

Naked ADULT man

I find it disappointing and disgusting that a grown adult male is naked in this movie. The movie absolutely did not need that scene. It’s a movie rated for kids. NOT NEEDED AT ALL!

Hahwysygsshsysysysy

YOU GET NO MORE DORITOS

Not for kids

Great movie! But with the guns, kidnapping, acid trip, bullying and general inappropriateness, I would not let kids under 12 watch this. The movie was really funny and out of the box. We really enjoyed it

It's an adventure movie! says my five year old

It was great movie. Not too scary. My favorite part was when they became the cartoon.

Great movie!

This movie is a great movie to watch with your whole family or for your kids to watch on their own. It is real life adventures and fun. Our kids loved this movie it’s a must watch for sure!

Hilarious Movie

I found this movie genuinely funny and interesting, I was impressed time and time again during the movie! People rating this very low obviously are missing a spark of joy in their lives to not have enjoyed this even a bit. The movie set up points and followed through! I think that the audience is young adults who grew up with Dora, I'm 22 and I saw it with college friends and we laughed out loud at so many scenes. It's at it's core a kids movie so don't expect it to be your favorite movie ever but it is funnier and more interesting than it has any right to be. There are cringy moments, of course, it's about a cringy time in a person's life, high school. I was so impressed though at how it handled it's messages, not hitting you over the head like a lot of kids movies these days. It's not the most original and some of the set pieces can look out of place and some parts are just hard to watch but it is very fun and definitely worth some time. Overall I'd say go in with no expectations and get taken for a fun ride. Recapture some of your youthful enjoyment of movies where plot points are hidden in plain sight and you feel like you're putting the story together with Dora and her friends.