Parent reviews for Frances Ha

Frances Ha Poster Image

A bit self indulgent with low stakes rewards

Quirky...code word...self indulgent...surprising...code word...challenging narrative structure...intriguing navel gazing...this i agree with. Although I found this film self indulgent, with a challenging narrative structure and an egregious "New York" film I would not say this film is a waste of time. Everyone in the film seems to mean it. Although I winced many times during Frances Ha I did want to see how it turned out. My efforts were rewarded with low grade self actualization. However, I also do not think that film should always make you feel good and this film accomplishes that. It has a stamp of privilege that insists on a "happy ending." Enter at your own risk.

i had high expectations

i thought i would really like this movie, i generally like noah baumbach’s writing. it’s a pretty boring movie in my opinion, but not in the uneventful yet eventful way ladybird does. the best part was adam driver. i was very bored throughout the movie. there were a few funny lines.

Frances dances, but is she happy?

Baumbach has a very distinct style of writing: crisp, fast-paced with enough bluntness to want to pause the film and rewind what the actors just said to make sure they said it! The film isn't so much a story as it is a snapshot of an enthusiastic wannabe dancer whose friend's life seems more and more interesting than hers. It's shot beautifully, with that romantic black and white cinematography, and although it dips maybe too often into hipster territory and coming off as unauthentic, Gerwig anchors the film back to a safe territory with the same likability she displayed in "Greenberg."

Terrible for all ages!

Terrible film! Very inappropriate! Me and my daughter (15) thought this would be a good movie and it isn't! Terrible!

An Anthem for the unmotivated with bad language and sexual irresponsibility

Francis is the most messed up character I've seen in a movie for awhile. If being lukewarm is the greatest sin, then she's guilty. Drifting through life, she is not only unable to care for herself, she cannot care for others either. She is so uncaring and unmotivated, she finds herself homeless and drifts around until she finds someone else to sponge off of. And all the while she is dispensing with seemingly wise guidance for everyone else that is totally ridiculous. Although goofy, she is disarming, and it is hard not to like her. But she is a terrible role model for today's youth. The film contains the crudest language along with frequenty profanity, frank irreverent sex talk, and couples openly living together unmarried.