All parent member reviews for Frankenweenie

Parent Written byalibaba3 October 5, 2012

Kids enjoyed, while parents snoozed

Hubby and I took a nap. Kids 11 (boy), 10 (girl), and two 8 year old girls gave it a B+.

Parent of a 18 year old Written byDanielChoi October 5, 2012

7 years old and up

This movie is creepy but i mean it's not that violence and creepy! So i chose 7 and up.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy October 17, 2012

Ehh...

Personally, I normally enjoy Tim Burton movies, and this one was okay for the first part, but the end was just out there! I didn't like the cat being speared and when it turned into a bat it really scared my son (To be fair, we were watching at IMAX so it jumped out of the screen, probably wouldn't scare him in 2D) We had to watch his dog die a few times and that might really upset a younger audience, especially children who have lost pets or don't know about death yet. Be prepared for lots of questions.
I hated that the whole thing was in black and white. I wouldn't have watched it at IMAX ($17 for my husband and I and $13.50 for my son) if I had known. 3D is so much better with bright colors.
The story was okay.. the love the boy had for his dog was sweet. My son is six and he said he liked it but I wouldn't watch it again. I might consider buying it for him, though.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bylittlewonder1978 October 21, 2012

Tim Burton doesn't disappoint

I thought it was a sweet movie and beautifully done. My five year old enjoyed it but often was afraid. My almost 8 year old daughter thought it was too scary and wanted the animals that became monsters to be reverted back to normal. For sensitive children consider waiting to screen this movie until they are older.

Educator and Parent Written byplinerd October 22, 2012

Warrants discussion, might be tough for compassionate kids.

I'm hesitant to place an age on it because all kids are different. Heck, even my almost 7-year old has responded more favorably to movies where I thought the characters might be creepier.
That said, he 1) started crying out of sadness about 15 minutes before the movie ended because an innocent creature ultimately died (yes, the dog died at the beginning, but we knew he came back to life and all was fine or him...) and 2) that night he said he couldn't get the images of the dead animals out of his head. This was not him just wanting to stay up later. I laid with him and could see his eyes wide open, being very alert and tense.
I said there is a positive message because part of the story is based on doing things with love and for the right reasons, or you might get a bad result. Not sure kids will catch that on their own, but the science teacher mentions it and it seems to apply to the rest of the events (although, interestingly enough, I don't think that philosophy is real in the situation used). Also, there could be a message that being the introvert (which is not viewed as being as good as extroverts in our society) is not a bad thing. That introverts can be successful, kind, etc. Again, it's not obvious and would warrant some discussion.
My husband, who jokes that I always want teddy bears and rainbows (not true, LOL), even said it was a little more graphic than he had expected. Not showing blood or amputated body parts or anything, but the acts of violence were creepier.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals February 5, 2013

Creepy and Gross and Lacking Real Humor or Depth

Dark humor? Fine, we loved Nightmare Before Christmas. This movie was just creepy and gross. The characters were not likable, the message of not grieving and accepting death is definitely questionable, and ultimately it just turns into yet another run and fight movie.

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Great movie,but WHY MUST IT BE IN BLACK & WHITE!?

This was a fun,thrilling,and fun movie.I was at Subway one day,and saw stuff related to this movie,AND the cashier recomended the movie! When I saw it,I like it,but I hated the fact that it was not in color.LAME!

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byGoodWitch November 12, 2012

Really enjoyed this one.

Both of my sons really enjoyed this movie. They also enjoyed other Tim Burton movies (Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride) but didn't care for Coraline (even I thought that one was creepy).

Parent of a 3 year old Written bycbaraw October 27, 2012

Fun, awesome!

Educator and Parent Written bymelodia October 18, 2012

Good movie, just beware of age of viewer

This movie is quite good, but it's too scary for the young ones. There were too many crying kids in the movie theater. I say 11 years old and up only. It's not fun to give any kid a nightmare.

Parent Written byGrandmaMary April 28, 2013

Frankenstein updated for today's kids

Too scary for young children.

Parent of a 3, 8, and 10 year old Written bygentlemomof3 February 20, 2013

weird, a little creepy, but good

I read the other reviews on this site for Frankenweenie before we watched it. I was hesitant because some of the reviews made it sound very violent and scary, but we decided to give it a go because my kids (3.5, 8 and 10) had seen Nightmare Before Christmas, Hotel Transylvania, Corpse Bride and ParaNorman and liked all of those. After watching the movie i could not understand what all the fuss was about! The characters were weird and creepy, but it was so overdone that they were funny, we all just laughed about them while watching the movie. Yes, a dog dies and that's sad, but we have dealt with pet death in our own home before so that wasn't a hard subject. The other animals turn into monsters, but they don't hurt anyone and they're, again, so over the top that they're silly. My 3 year old was slightly scared at a couple points, but she just asked questions and cuddled with me and was fine (note to other parents though - she likes being scared, my older children would not have been ok with this movie at her age as they were more fearful). Overall i think you do need to take your child's personality into account - if they're ok with movies that are a little bit creepy and dark then they'll most likely love this. If they are easily scared or have nightmares, you might want to pass it up.

Adult Written bybroadwaykat October 31, 2012

Frakenweenie Full of Tricks and Treats for Older Kids

This movie is a great Halloween movie for families to watch together because it has lots of adorable fun moments for kids as well as some laughs for adults and isn't too scary. That being said, it is a Tim Burton Movie and has some creepy elements so I would consider how your kids reacted to other Tim Burton movies or creepy fun films like Coraline before you let them watch. Also be warned that while this movie might be a good place to discuss why pets are so special to us, it does contain some sad scenes with pet death that might be harder on more sensitive kids.