All parent member reviews for Gran Torino

Parent Written byPlague December 15, 2009

Gran Torino

Masterpiece! A gand movie for the whole family. Its powerful, funny, and moving. In a way, I think Clint Eastwood's character is somewhat a good role model, once you get passed the rude, racist part. He does stand up for this whole family that he has a racial hatred for, and teaches the boy new things, gets him a job, and saves the family from a intimidating and life-threatening gang run by the boy's corrupted cousin and friends. I also think this movie teaches a good moral to always stand up to those who are getting pushed around no matter what race they are, or cultural country they come from. Because no matter what, we are all humans living in the same world. All in all, dont miss this movie.

Adult Written byElsie Broxton January 4, 2010

Heart-breaking and thought-provoking

This movie is surprisingly realistic, and in that it is heart-breaking and almost hopeless. For example:

- One of the most likeable and most positive characters is raped and beaten; her intelligence, kindness, and courage are to little avail in the face the of violence and cruelty of her environment.
- "Doing the right thing" (staying in school, working, supporting family) isn't just ignored by people who don't follow that path -- a young man's peers seek out ways to disrespect and devalue him for making those good decisions.
- A priest who loves God is ineffective in his service and outreach amongst gangbangers.
- A father's failure to be close to his children begets a new generation of dysfunctional families.

This film draws out many serious elements of real life that are pervasive in humans regardless of environment: the racism and cross-cultural suspicion that are at the heart of all of us - our thirst for revenge and retribution - the desire not to be alone - what it means to be a man - the confusion caused by changing times - the burden of guilt from past mistakes - the refugee/immigrant experience - the role of religion.

This movie can help to start conversations on all of these themes; it is worth looking for applications to our own lives, whether they are similar to or completely different from what we see in the movie. It is also challenging to talk about greater perspective and higher power that might have changed the outcome of the story, or to wonder what else could have resolved or affected the conflicts and problems. Families, friends, churches, service groups, community organizations, and other networks would find good fruit in watching this movie and talking about how it relates to both their personal experience as well as their life in community.

That said, it's hard to take in the dozens of racial slurs (some I had never even heard before) and the images of being shot or post-rape/beating. The film also paints a very complicated picture of what it means to be a man; perhaps the Clint Eastwood character's manhood is old and outdated like his 1970s Gran Torino, but it is still appealing despite its obsolescence and problems. It's a film that calls for a mature response, a critical look from a person who can see the shades of gray in life yet also perceive that there is something better out there than the reality of this film's story, and so I don't recommend it for youth.

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bylcross November 22, 2010

Good for 12 and up, with some parental guidance.

My 12-year-old son and I loved this movie. I was hesitant to let him watch it, but was glad that we watched it together. Yes, there is drinking and smoking, and yes, there are tons of racial slurs. None of them are portrayed in the movie as positive things, though. There is some violence, in the movie, but more threats of violence and the depiction of the horrible aftermath of violence than the violence itself. The overall messages of redemption, friendship across racial and generational lines, overcoming one's fears and prejudices, and loyalty, are well worth it.

Adult Written by4Spice October 24, 2009

good movie teens and adults only

graet movie truth is some parts in the movie might make you fill discusted no kids lots of kussing 15 and over

Adult Written byemdash October 18, 2010

I am over 25 and thought it was too violent. I felt the post rape seen was very graphic. Even though they did not show the actual crime, the very graphic imagery was very upsetting. I would not recommend this movie for kids or grow ups. This movie would be especially bad for anyone who has PTSD relating to sex crimes.

Parent of a 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, and 15 year old Written bynikki73 April 25, 2009

I loved this movie! I would watch it agian in a heart beat & let my children ages 13+ watch it. It had a great message & was entertaining.

Adult Written bymildrea July 1, 2009

Great movie, may not be suitable for under 13

An excellent movie, but why pay for it? Click http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=949389 to find out how to get it for free!

Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 27, 2009

Eastwood gives a powerful performance in gran torino

Clint Eastwood stars in this great film about an old drawn out man who i thought needed someone that liked him. He becomes friends with an asain boy who tried to steal his car. The movie is happy, sad, and funny. And for the people that dont like the racial slurs, get a grip! They put that in the movie for humor and to show that he hated those zipper heads! =)

Adult Written bygosyncro March 30, 2009

A must see Eastwood movie, after you're 16

Very good movie, best I've seen in a long time. Yes it's true that Clint's character, as well as many others, were very racist. Some swearing, a lot of modest drinking. I thought most of the story lines and street scenes seemed pretty realistic. At times the movie was actually educational (about Hmong history), funny, heartwarming, and dramatic. It really had it all. This is a movie I want to see again and will quickly add to my DVD collection. I do believe those 15 and under could be a bit too scared by some of the violence scenes because of the realism of how the movie unfolds.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byanduril March 6, 2010

loads of talks afterwards

Adult Written byvancity realtor June 11, 2009

The movie was well done, and told a great story. It explains the old racist guys story. You get to understand that his life experiences, and his burdens turned him into a grumpy racist old man, but deep down he was a very good person who used his grumpy persona to protect himself from every day life and relationships.

I thought Eastwoods character and Ahney Hers character really worked well together. Ahneys character was bright, accepting, and open minded. She brought Eastwood out of his shell. She knew enough history and common sense to tear down his emotional walls. By befriending Eastwood he gained a respect for her people, and built a fatherly relationship with Toah. Toah gained confidence and self respect, and Eastwood was able to have his father-son relationship vicariously through being friends with Toah.

The whole thing about Mexican and Asians being depicted as gangsters is missing the point completely. The gang reference was aimed at youth today. If you want to get offended, the Caucasian kid got depicted as wigger p*ssy. Which brings me to a whole other issue, Caucasian kids that dress in baggy clothes & Jordans arent trying to be black. Maybe if they talk like black folks, but then again your surroundings mold you. Clothing is simply a style. In fact most kids (of all races) today other than Goth or EMO kids, dress in baggy clothes, not to be black, its just a style.

The end of the movie was really touching. Eastwood finally at peace with himself, decided to help free the neighbourhood of gang bangers. He gave his life not only to protect his new friends, and neighbours, but to repent his sin of murdering a 17 year old on the battle field. Even though the Asian elders were not able to communicate their respect, their actions spoke volumes. The movie was an excellent story about forgiveness, acceptance, and racial understanding. I think every family should rent this movie.

Adult Written byMNGR March 13, 2009

Best movie!

This movie is for kids age 15 and up. There is little violence. You see a girl after she gets beaten up but not while she gets beaten up. And you see a guy get shot. There is a lot of racism and cursing but without it the movie wouldn't have as much meaning to it. All around though it was an amazing movie!

Adult Written byManic Bulldog February 15, 2009

Vroom Vroom!

I just watched Grand Torino this evening with my father. We both really enjoyed it. Clint Eastwood brought back his original feelings of power and compassion that I have missed for ohhh so long. The movie was VERY violent and held racist attitudes through out. Life lessons are taught and feelings run rampid all through out the film. Not one for kids. I would say 15 + for this one.

Adult Written bychangster.eminem May 7, 2010

Very Powerful Movie With Powerful Message

Personally, I loved this movie. It demonstrated the prejudice many have against others. It starts off with a grouchy old man who hates Chinese people and their kindness towards his brave action. However, it is as the movie continues that he discovers the true potential of giving people a chance. He loses much of his prejudice against his Chinese neighbors and helps them, returning a long time kindness. Very powerful message is in the movie. Even 12 year olds might be able to see this movie just because of the message solely.

Adult Written bygamenerd323 November 3, 2009

Don't show your kids!

A man is shot with some blood show, several beatings, a older teen is brutaly beatan while being commented on his race and being called a "stupid f--k" with refrence to wartime and gross war time actions. And even a part were a boy is burned with a ciggarete by another teen who is obviously too young too be smoking, this happens another time where a younger girl smokes. Extreme racism and non-stop language plus some violence makes this beutiful new drama very adult.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bySoda Guzzler August 12, 2009

Adult Written bymattatcommonsence August 7, 2009

awesome movie!!!

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byswtpeaami July 25, 2009

This movie is not for children at all. I had a difficult time as an adult woman listening to the offensive language. The "F" word is used repeatedly; and there is constant racial slurs which I find inappropriate for ANY audience. The only highlight is how Clint Eastwood becomes a "father figure" for the boy next door and keeps the youngster from being "dragged" literally, into a neighborhood gang.

Adult Written byJackisthebest June 10, 2009

excessive language

This movie was better than I anticipated.There was a little,well actually a lot of swearing.But,lets face it,by the time a kids 13 they've heard all of them.if you want it go here http://moourl.com/m05ae

Adult Written byPaladin357 March 3, 2012

This is an amazing film

This movie gets a bad rap too often for use of racial slurs, when the main point is to show that racial prejudice is wrong. While the movie is language heavy, teens with enough experience to know better would be just fine seeing this film. It is violent? yes. How violent? Barely. The whole of the film's violence can be contained within six minutes, with the perpetraters recieving due justice from the proper authorities in the end. The main character Walt progesses and learns to let go of his racial prejudice and teaches a young man the values of working hard and that violence should only be a last resort to a problem. There are a couple scenes in a bar, and with Walt drinking, but the focus of these scenes is most definately not the alcohol, having more to do with the conversations than the atmosphere. The acting in this film is superb, and worth while.