Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 11 parent reviews

Sort by:

Film on Self Discovery and Accountability

This movie is often overlooked for it’s compelling messages on what it means to be a true friend and to hold oneself accountable for wrongs committed against friends. It also highlights the fact that secrets and gossip don’t tend to help us and can easily get out of hand. That we should let our ambitions outweigh our ability to connect to others and understanding that most people have motives outside of what they show on the surface, dig deep and learn deeper.

i thought it was alright.

a cute movie about a girl who likes to write. something to keep your brain busy not bad.

Teaches kids a horrible lesson

The movie itself isn't awful, I've seen a lot worse kid movies. What I really hated about it is Harriet herself. She is a really horrible person. She writes the worst things imaginable in her diary (one was about her friend being poor and how she had to pretend they'd dropped money because they couldn't even buy food). She loses her diary one day and that is when everyone finds out just what she really thinks about them. Then she gets her comeuppance but THEN she really gets nasty. The things that she does is completely unforgivable and her friends and they should have never forgiven that little sociopath.

I was hard to sit threw

I don't like harriet the spy

Horrible role model. Agony to watch.

Harriet and her friends behave horribly - name calling, planning to poison the "bad" kids, planning to stink bomb the school play. Harriet herself is rude, talks back to her parents and writes horrible things in her private notebook. When the notebook is read to her friends she becomes the outcast and is bullied in a frightening manner. Instead of apologizing, she wages war against the entire class, becoming a bully herself and a cruel prankster. She does nothing positive until 80 minutes into the movie and even then, her apologies are whispered and pouty and she hasn't really learned her lesson. She has a happy ending, but it's not because she changes her ways or apologizes. In the last 5 minutes, Harriet narrates a bunch of lovely thoughts about accepting others etc.. Too little, too late. She's just been a brat for the whole movie and it's been agonizing watching her. Terrible movie.

One of the worst family movies ever! Painful to watch.

Ugh, this movie was terrible. It just went on and on and I was hoping it would get better but it never did. Rosie O'Donnell was the worst person for the role of nanny. I thought this movie had terrible messages with the bullying that went on. Then the revenge was horrible to watch especially when she was carving the frenemies names in the wooden desk top. Wow! Sorry I let my kids watch it.

Not at all good.

This movie blowed chuncks.The characters are stupid and the jokes are lame.The story is boring as dishwater and the theme song is just ANNOYING! Its just as boring as that horrible show,Hey Dude.Harriet really needs to dump that boy she has a crush on.Please don't watch this movie!

Good story, but you will need to talk to your kids about some things

This is realistic film about a girl who writes nasty personal things in her diary and her friends and classmates find out and all turn against her and bully her. I loved this film and thought the bullying was realistic, but not too intense so that kids could still watch it. The film doesn't initially have a good moral, because Harriet gets revenge on her friends. But she learns from her mistakes. Harriet also goes into the homes of someone and hides and it appears she goes on property she shouldn't be on as well a few times. You may want to talk to your kids about how this is wrong too.

Harriet the Spy crazy or enthusiastic?

Having seen this movie i this movie with my two daughter ages 7 and 9 i think this movie is really good. It made my older daughter want to become a spy. She says she won't go into people's houses like Harriet but she will help put away bad guys. Anyone with a child about 7-11 should have them watch the movie. When i was younger my mother read me the book and i would try to act just like her!