Parent reviews for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Poster Image

Really good movie for kids who can handle it

Much like the 4th Potter book of the same name, Goblet of Fire lets you know from the very beginning that the Potter films aren't for younguns anymore. The film is full of teen drama and romance that wasn't nearly as prevalent in previous Potter films. Lots of focus on relationships and jealousy, and suggestive comments are made about/between students. One female character (a ghost) shows blatant sexual interest in Harry and attempts to watch him nude while bathing. A bitter jealousy-fueled feud between Harry and Ron leads to some bickering and the occasional (mild) swear word. The film is also darker, grittier, and bloodier than previous Potter films with dark and foreboding themes as Voldemort's evil forces make their resurgence and cause destruction in their wake. A sporting event is razed to the ground by a group of Voldemort's soldiers with widespread destruction and implied civilian casualties. In each of the TriWizard Tournament tasks, characters are injured, kidnapped, and have their lives threatened by magical beasts and dangerous locations. Harry is injured and tortured by enemies as he is restrained and hopelessly surrounded by bad guys. Three characters are killed by bad guys (2 of them on-screen). The deaths are caused by magic and are therefore bloodless for the most part, but one of the scenes is particularly jarring: A boy is killed on-screen by an adult in the last act of the movie in a very visible manner and close-ups of the boy's body are shown multiple times, complete with an overwhelmingly grief-stricken father sobbing over the body near the end. The scene is relatively quite disturbing and might stick in your little ones' minds. All of that being said, the movie is good! Another entertaining installment in the Potter franchise. The film's pacing can be pretty slow in the middle with lots of focus on teen drama and the TriWizard Tournament. These parts feel like they don't have much bearing on the overarching story with Voldemort and the bad guys which becomes the main focus towards the end. The action scenes look good with lots of convincing special effects and choreography that help bring them to life. As always with Potter films, the soundtrack is stellar and fits the scenes quite well. Same goes for the locations/setting choices. After 3 previous Potter films, all of the teen actors/actresses are seasoned performers and they all give great performances, although some of them still retain a bit of youthful awkwardness but it doesn't interfere too much. All in all, it's a really good film if you think your child can handle it. I remember watching this as a 9-year-old child in 2005 and being pretty emotionally jarred from the last act of the film. Quite similar to the way my 8-year-old nephew reacted when he got to the end very recently. At the end of the day, always consider what you think your kid can handle and use your judgement, but generally speaking, I wouldn't show this to kids under 11.

2 people found this helpful.

Good summary of the book, starts the transition to more tween topics

If you've read the book, you know it is a long one. The movie does a good job of summarizing - aka going quickly through the main storylines of the book. If you're a purist, you would likely prefer to have two movies instead of one. For younger kids, there are some sections that will likely go over their heads. Specially around romantic relationships. For those same kids, the scary scenes might need to be fast forwarded or muted with your voice over (thinking about the senes with Voldemort). Our kids are younger (6,7) and it was okay. However, not alone.

Holy smoke- terrifying!

I hardly watch tele or films, so I guess I'm not so desensitised. Geez, didn't like it at all. Brutal. Unnecessary. I'm not remotely religious, so I'm not damming it on those grounds, so my worry is the psych of the kids. People say all the great things kids can learn from Harry facing adversity, but I think people are sadly a little less selective about what they absorb as influence, in so far as: as animals we see, then we do, and there is some really aggressive nastiness in this film. Nah, really skip, I don't think this needs to be in anyones head. I'm a woose and found it upsetting, and distressing to think so many small people have swallowed it. Kia kaha.

Not for christians

Murder, magic, witchcraft, the occult, strong violence, ghosts, spirits. Most occult movie made for children. Avoid.

not rated for age

Very different than the others

This Harry Potter didn't take my breath away. The effects were great as usual, but I personally didn't like the storyline. (I haven't read the books btw) Obviously the movie has to follow the books that have been prewritten, but I was disappointed with how the movie started. It doesn't start at the house where Harry grew up and I've come accustomed to some laughter with the antics he has there. It made for a very different feel, darker. I also found the sexual attraction the kids had to be rather offensive for what to me is a movie/book meant for kids! Why couldn't they stay YOUNG kids? LOL Aside from that, it was ok. I'm not sure I'll have this one on my shelf when the dvd's come out. Very dark and not as entertaining as the other movies. I was somewhat disappointed.

Great, but language, and one sad death

Incredible but words like “bloody h*ll,” “p*ss off,” and “d*mn.” SPOILER WARNING: The end with Cedric’s death is disappointing, but not too bad.

Potter gets PG-13 treatment from here on out

This was my first PG-13 movie! For Fantasy violence, frightening images, and scenes of Dumbledore speaking CALMLY. “HARRY YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE!?”