All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Terrific but intense mix of love, friendship, fear, sorrow.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCoreyK July 29, 2009

The Best of the Series

PG-13 level peril,scariness, and violence. The kids' acting has improved so much and the story is strong. Sexual innuendo between all of the main characters. Love triangles are a main point in the plot. But there's nothing graphic. Gotta love Ron.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

I luv Harry Potter

a great movie. but I dont think Harry and Ginny should have kissed.

Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN May 21, 2010

May be scary for kids under 10.

Another excellent installment to the Harry Potter series! I can't wait to see the 7th and 8th movies!! It may frighten kids younger than 10 though.

Kid, 12 years old Written bymovielover45 December 31, 2009

A Genuine Masterpiece! Great For Tweens and teens!

I have read all the books and seen all the movies out so far, This film is the best and should be considered a masterpiece! The other movies like the ones 1-4 were good but were just popcorn flicks. The FILMS 5-6 were serious and brooding. This movie is very dark and should have been rated PG-13. This FILM is an amazing masterpiece and should get nomanated for a oscar. This film is also a feast for the eyes and has amazing camera work, David Yates did a tremendous job of making this film the best and most serious film of the series!

Kid, 11 years old Written bymrs.joelycullen4eva July 31, 2009

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST HP MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there is one parrt where harry touches the water in the cave and inferi(zombies)jumps out so that might scare younger kids.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byreddog23 July 21, 2009

Poor adaptation but a must see for Potter fans! Not too scary!

Sorry, this was the worse book to movie adaptation of the series. SOOOOOO much was left out! Many things that the last movies will need to be on target. If you have not read the book - please read it. The title itself was so lamely explained by Snape as "I am the Half-Blood Prince". No background on Snape as a young man at Hogwarts and what has led him to this point in time. It was edited poorly! Too much time spent snogging and not enough battling. The grand fight at the end and Dumbledore's funeral was left out completely. The way D died was not accurately done though I thought they did a great job of showing that Dumbledore believed that Draco was worth saving. The scene in the sea cave with the skeletal mob was a little scary for under 10 but if they have read the books it was scarier in print. Belletrix is just scary but no scarier than any Disney witch. The scene of Katie Bell rising in the air and being possessed was the most frightening scene. In summary the PG rating was boderline but I thought it was appropriate. Parents as always have to judge if they think it would frighten their children. I have a 9 and 12 year old and they were fine. I do hope they get another Director for the last 2 films. This one was very poorly done! We love these characters and we will be there til the end!

Adult Written bychemistmom July 16, 2009

I saw this movie with my 7 and 9 year old today. We LOVED it. I am not one to bring my kids to age inappropriate movies but since we have read the entire series together , they knew exactly what was going to happen. If we had not read the books, I would have previewed this on DVD before allowing them to see it. In comparison to the "Transformer" movie, which was PG 13 ( I have only seen the first and NOT my kids), I would say Harry Potter is very mild. The whole romance thing was a little much for me but I think that it goes over the heads of younger kids ( especially boys)

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl July 25, 2009

Entertaining for tweens but ultimately shallow and empty

As has been noted many times, this book is the most mature and darkest in the series up to that point. However I felt like the movie eliminated all the aspects that made the book marginally acceptable for younger children. The heart and soul, the morality of the novel was simply avoided in the film ... the scene in which Malfoy's mother begs Snape to protect her son was stripped of the emotion that was written into the novel. Dumbledore's explanation of how the power of love and loyalty overcome evil in the world was simply deleted from the film. Malfoy's struggle with good/evil was explored only very shallowly in the film. The one thing the movie stayed true to was Rowling's apparent obsession with alcohol in the 6th book (although the movie deleted the apparently alcoholic Professor, thankfully). I felt like this movie was simply an annoyance to the film makers -- it seemed to be made only because it was necessary to set up the next installment of the series.

By normal teen movie standards, this movie is tame but parents should be aware that there is mild violence (actually fewer "battle" scenes than in the book), and making out and kissing features prominently throughout the movie, as does alcohol. Hagrid and Prof. Slughorn get drunk and Slughorn serves Ron and Harry alcohol.

There is also one particularly scary scene involving zombie-like creatures which is disturbing for younger children. The PG rating really surprised me. I think kids who have already read the book without being scared will be able to handle the movie, but honestly this movie doesn't do justice to the novel. If you really want to understand the mythology of Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort or to have a meaningful discussion with your children about the struggle of good and evil, choices and consequences, and free will, you'd be much better off reading the Half Blood Prince aloud as a family rather than seeing this movie. I feel for the film makers having to adapt a 700 page novel, but this movie is simply too shallow to leave any kind of lasting impression. I left the theater feeling sad about the lost opportunity.

Parent of a 10, 13, and 16 year old Written byblsdwithgirls July 17, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I believe it should have been rated PG-13 again, like the previous ones, but only for a few scenes. I would recommend parents or older siblings see the movie first and then prepare the younger child for the few times they may be startled.
I think this movie is far more cerebral than the past movies and for that it should have gotten a PG-13.

Teen, 15 years old Written byKathyhermy123 July 17, 2009

Amazing film that was incredibly faithful to the book (esp. compared to some of the others in the series, most notably no. 3). A lot of kissing (as well as jealousy issues), and some very scary scenes involving skeletons, homes being attacked, fires, seizures, a character being force-fed a poison, two other poisonings, and a murder. Hogwarts is also attacked, especially scary seeing as it is portrayed as the last safe place in the movie. There are also combinations of love and violence - a girl attacks the guy she likes after she sees him kissing another girl, and a girl hugs her boyfriend after the death of a main character.

Overall, it was a very good movie, but boys will be disappointed by the lack of action, and the shortness of the only Quidditch scene due to its focus on only once character's performance. Instead, the movie focuses on the relationships between adolescents, and between adolescents and their mentors.

Educator and Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byDebbie516 July 16, 2009

Some scary scenes, but not as much as previous Harry Potter films. My 10 year old would have been a little scared with some of the scenes, but my 12 year old was fine. There was some kissing and a small bit of drinking. It was pretty long (almost 2 1/2 hours) so be prepared.

Kid, 11 years old Written bymustlovedogs500 July 18, 2009

I love this movie!

I love this movie! It was very good, and very funny! It may be scary for young kids, and some old kids depending on how you take it, but for most 9 year olds I think that it is fine. You should watch the other Harry Potter movies or read thebooks before you see this one, or you will not understand any of it.

Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bybeckyhall July 17, 2009

Fantastic message, pretty good movie

I took all 3 of my kids to see this. We had listened to the book on CD, and my oldest has read it, so we knew what was coming. Having read the book, I was surprised at the PG rating. However, much of the violence in the book is left out of the film, so I can almost justify the PG. There are scary parts, though, and if you have sensitive kids, they will be afraid even if they know the plot. My 6 year old loved it, but she is fearless. My 10 year old is a sensitive guy, but he loves the series and really enjoyed the film. My 13 year old saw it twice in two days, and I am envious! We have talked a great deal about the good vs evil theme of the series. The final two films will be emotionally intense and somewhat violent. But isn't fighting evil intense and sometimes violent? The good guys are winning, but it isn't easy, and that's the lesson.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009

Kid, 12 years old Written byBig Pappi August 6, 2009

Why Wasn't This PG-13?

this was one of the best potter films yet! there is a lot more kissing in this one though. I thought the violence was strong for a PG movie, but its all to do with spells. fantasy stuff. this one was also pretty creepy. a HIGH PG movie. think twice before brining your 7 year old.

Teen, 14 years old Written byskyheart15 February 11, 2010

Movie not the best, and in appropriate for younger kids, despite PG rating

Lots of love, violence. Suggestive comments that aren't relevent to the plot. Frightening images. Violence, killing. Not appropriate for kids under 8. 8+ should be fine. MOvie not very good compred to books- leaves stuff out, etc.

Teen, 13 years old Written byk-man_922 July 28, 2009

One of the best HP movies so far!

Great film, but don't let the PG rating fool you, this is as dark as the last two PG-13 movies.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymuffin.WOman July 19, 2009

AMAZING!!! but for a more mature audience

this movie was amazing!!! but could be extremely upsetting for kids under 12. in one part a character has a kind of seizure thing-which in itself is scary- and rises into the air and screams. its really scary. and towards the end creepy skeletal dead creatures emerge from a dark lake, lots of them. and a beloved character pleads for mercy while drinking a substance that seems to be killing him. and at the very end a beloved character is killed by a person he trusted. throughout the movie there is a lot of kissing, all involving teens. but thats not too bad. all in all, its an amazing movie, but could be scary and inappropriate for kids under the age of 12.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycheeserules July 15, 2009

Amazing movie!

AWESOME movie. Best in the series so far. Also the darkest, though. But any MATURE kid over maybe 10 shouldn't have a problem. Once again...AMAZING!

Kid, 10 years old November 23, 2012

It should be PG13

This is honestly a great movie! But may you know there are some scenes in this movie that are more PG13 than PG. There's is a little minor sexual scene but nothing bad is shown like breast, of privates.