All member reviews for Hoosiers

Parent of a 11 year old Written byFanner50 January 22, 2011

Good film about a person who sticks to what he believes under tremendous pressure from the towns people to do things differently. Kids play hard and fair, with a few transgressions. The coach has a temper and it gets him into trouble, but there is remorse and improvement. Very positive movie. Filming is well-done and beautiful. Might be a little slow for under 11 yr olds, but the games are exciting and tense.

Adult Written byjowoho April 9, 2008

A Classic Tale of the Underdog

The story of a coach with a troubled past and an unmotivated team who like to do things their way.

Adult Written byMovieluver101 August 6, 2011

Great but ehhhh for 10 and under

Okay... So I agree with all the other comments, that this is a four or five star movie. I agree. But when I watched this with my 9 year old son who is a BIG sport lover, I felt that some of the parts that just put a chill through your spine. Not the chill that you get in Black Swan but the chill for a kids movie. I thought the language was not necessary and I also felt that emotionally and just seeing it that my son was not ready to learn about the mans achool problems and why he was tipsy, and so on. No sex...just the teenage kisses on the cheek. I think that this is a great movie but maybe the points and morals are a little too strong for younger kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBlackandYellow February 18, 2011

Sickness in the movies

i thought it was okay.. i play basketball and i loved the basketball in the movie.. but at points it was hard to follow and boring. but if you watch it with your kids you are to hhave a good time. and if you look past the basketball games and how good the players are you are sure to find a message worth searching for.

Adult Written byCyclone411 January 16, 2009

Breathtaking

I'm not sure at what age this movie would be engaging for a kid. Perhaps earlier for a sports enthusiast kid. But this is an awesome movie that really captures a feeling and a sense of place and time. Having lived in southern Indiana, I can confirm the passion for basketball - it's a core of small town life. The game scenes are also beautifully shot and very exciting. And the redemption message is powerful.

Kid, 11 years old Written byIgorTheGreatPickle January 29, 2011

Great Sports Movie!

Great movie. Get's intense at the end, but overall, great for 8 and up!

Teen, 14 years old Written bymjs_track December 15, 2011

Heartwarming Story

I think that Hooisers is a great movie for every sports lover and team. The story tells of a banned college coach since served in the Navy for the past 10 years. When his old friend offers him a job as basketball coach of the Hickory Huskers, many of the townspeople critize his new ways of coaching. I loved the effect of Jimmy Chitwood's decision to play basketball after the father-like figure of his former coach dies, in order save Coach Dale's job. The only issues I have for it are the Alcohol refrences, profanity, and violence. The assistant basketball coach, Shooter, has an alcohol addiction which becomes a issue for the team, and one of its key players. Like most sports movies, motivated and angry coaches can throw out profanity when upset about a decision. There are several fights withen the movie and the coach was fired from is old position because of his striking a athlete on his college team. Overall, I thought it was a great movie for older children and adults.

Kid, 10 years old March 31, 2012

Good Review

This movie is great but one thing that suprised me was they didnt put down anything for drinking which I thought was pretty weird since one of the main characters is drunk. And why I put down violence was because in a couple b-ball games there are big fights in one a kid has to get 8 stitches

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

hoosiers

subplot. Another quibble is that it's sometimes hard to tell the healthy, corn-bred players apart. Families can talk about other sports movies. What is appealing about them? Do you ever doubt the outcome? What kind of feelings do they stir up? How does this one compare and contrast to other sports films you've seen?

Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byAmericanist February 22, 2013

Nostalgic, classic underdogs-win sports story

I'm not a huge basketball fan, but my boys are. Both my mature 8-year-old and my (sometimes bullied) 10-year-old found it exciting to watch and inspirational. The setting in the early 50s gave us something to talk about on pauses: what was different back then, and what's the same. Yes, there's a little attention to an alcoholic supporting character who has some ups and downs in shaking his addiction (he does). He doesn't do violence to anyone, and his son still loves him. We paused the film and talked about it: fine. Yes, the outcome is a little predictable, but much more well done than your typical predictable sports film. Sometimes "predictable" to adults doesn't mean the same as it does to kids.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 22, 2013

Inspirational, with a great Hopper to boot!

This is a fine family film, that shows the dangers of alcohol with one character, the pitiful Hooper in a role that landed him an Oscar nod. Of course the film's predictable, but Hackman's strong-willed coach bent on redemption carries it on his shoulders.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bywasekh November 18, 2013

The power of perservance

I remember this as a favorite from my youth (and I'm a girl.)
As noted, alcoholism is depicted but it in no way glamorizes alcohol, but shows the very real effects of drinking and alcoholism. The movie is wonderful example of a good story depicted by great actors. The characters are flawed, yet persevere and this gives a realness we can all relate to.