Parent and Kid Reviews on

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Poster Image: Indy in the foreground, with his father behind him
Our Review

Based on 21 parent reviews

Sort by:

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade Movie Review By Logan Strohl

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade is a fun addition to the Indiana Jones film series as well as the first film in the series to receive a PG-13 rating because of two films that cause it to happen Gremlins and the last Indiana Jones movie. Great action and adventure. As they say third time is the charm and they pull it out making it the second best Indiana Jones film of all time. Plus darkness is more toned down then the last film. It also stars Sean Connery in his first Indiana Jones movie as well as the longest film in the series at 126 minutes. It also makes a good Father's Day movie to watch with your dad. Some scary scenes but nothing older and younger fans can't handle.

2 people found this helpful.

Best and most family-friendly of the series.

Surprisingly the most family-friendly of the series. Not as gruesome as Temple of Doom or Raiders.
2 people found this helpful.

Complicated start and a couple of scary scenes near the end

This was fine for my children over 11. My 8 years olds founded it slow at the beginning and needed us to pause and explain the plot. There are lots of murders of baddies and you see people being blown up, shot, falling to their deaths etc. But in true retro style they never show these in full gore. My 8yo was a bit shocked by the shooting of Indy’s dad, then was very upset by the rapid ageing and dying scene near the end. We explained that it was fake and they watched the end. But hours later they woke sweating from nightmares! None of the Star Wars films had this effect!

1 person found this helpful.

A sequel that is better than the original

Wow this is a amazing film! It is a action filled hilarious masterpiece! It is even better than the original! This is a must see movie!

Indiana Jones and Elsa have a kissing/fighting scene and he comments that he doesn’t like “fast women”.

The Best Crusade is The Last Crusade! (aside from maybe Raiders)

With the same rip-roaring action and adventuring as the previous films and even a few slower scenes here and there, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade has the recipe for success. While I'm excited for Dial of Destiny and am seeing it today, this is a great ending and they could've left the series off here. The acting is great and includes one of the last performances of Denholm Elliott (Rest in Peace), who does phenomenally and I appreciate his greater prominence here even more knowing that he was an LGBTQIA+ actor, the only one to play a major role in this series. Despite the presence of rats, danger, screaming, and sudden fights, The Last Crusade is less like eating in a mess hall and more like the best adventure film of all time. Onto the content: Violence: Young Indiana Jones tries to defend himself from a lion with a whip, accidentally cutting his chin and leaving a scar. Indy fights many assailants on two motorboats, with one boat getting crushed between two ships and another getting shredded by the propeller of a large boat. The propeller is used as an interrogation threat by Indy but both him and the threatened character are left unscathed. A man is beheaded, leaving his head rolling up to the camera (no blood). A tank driver is shot in the head, we see the bullet stuck in his wrapped forehead but no injury detail. Indiana Jones takes down three N**is with a strong round; holes are seen shot through the backs of their shirts. A group of rebels is ambushed by the N**is; we see one laying on the ground and a few others taken down. Indy blasts down two N**is at the castle with no blood. A N*zi is lobbed under a moving tank tread, but we don't see what happens. A car full of many N**is gets speared by the turret of a tank; a general orders the turret guy blast the vehicle off of the tank with the living troops still inside (he does, after which the tank crushes the wreck of the car with the N**is still inside). Indy and many N**is battle violently atop this tank. SPOILERS FOR A 30+ YEAR-OLD FILM!!! When told to identify the Holy Grail out of many chalices, a woman intentionally gives the main villain the incorrect one. After drinking holy water from it, the villain ages rapidly in possibly the most violent scene, with his skin decaying in seconds, his eyes bulging before imploding into their sockets, and his hair overextending before shedding. Eventually, he becomes a seemingly still-living skeleton before being smashed against a wall by Indy. Donovan critically wounds Henry's gut and he almost dies before Indiana Jones heals him with the Holy Grail. A N*zi general is stuck in a tank as it falls off of a sizable landmass and we see a closeup of his shrieking face as he falls. Afterwards, there's a brief shot of him rolling under the tank as it lands, although this is unrealistic as the scene is done with miniatures.

The best of the series...so far

Re-watched this recently with my 7 year old and he was all in from the prologue. Phoenix and the train chase bridges the tone from the previous films and offers a bright new direction that Ford and Connery continue in the Last Crusade. The relationship building is wonderful to witness. It is by far the best of the series. The chases feel like the stakes are high and the story is not too convoluted, and the dialogue does not feel too snarky. The balance between the comedy, the adventure and the sentimentality feel like all are served well and the audience is left satisfied with the results.

Great family movie, adventure galore.

My boys (7 and 9) love Indiana Jones, we have watched all the movies. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is another brilliant Family Movie to add to the list. There are adventure and excitement, secret doors and hidden treasures! People speak to each other without swearing and with respect, even when conversing with the enemy (as far as I can remember, it's been a few days). There are shooting/fighting scenes, but you never actually see anyone die. Though, it is implicated at times. Indiana Jones stands for "doing what's right", he never does anything to make himself rich, but instead, he goes on adventures to keep the bad guys from doing bad things with historical artifacts, etc.

INDY

GREAT MOVIE but includes violence (such as gun-shooting and physical aggression), some mild swearing (such as idiot, morons, and damn), and Indy kisses a couple times.