All parent member reviews for Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bykarimck May 15, 2009

Who cares if "all of the other kids" have seen it!

I wish I would have checked this site before watching this movie with my 5 and 7 year olds. Most of their friends had seen it and other mothers told me it was fine for my kids. Not so. My kids were scared by the "creepiness" which occurs when Indy is inside the tomb and at the end when the Ark is opened and people literally MELT. They were afraid to be alone for a couple of days after watching this movie. I felt like a fab parent. :(

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 12, 2010

definitely would NOT be PG in our times,would be rated PG-13

awesome movie

Parent of a 9 year old Written byChitch January 19, 2011

Great movie but too violent for younger kids

I can't believe the guy who wrote "What parents need to know" says that there is "nothing graphic". Did he watch this movie?!

I have always loved the Indiana Jones films but they are the reason PG-13 was invented. WAY too violent for younger kids.

Parent of a 2, 6, and 9 year old Written byDeerfieldDad May 13, 2011

Ok for 9 year olds but caution

The fighting in the movie is tame by modern day standards. In fact, the movie itself moves rather slowly. There is a lot of sword fighting, death, and the like but it's not actually that graphic. SPOILER ALERT: The part that sticks out that some 9 year olds won't deal well with is the whole face-melting scene when the ark is opened. My 9 year old tends to run away and hide when things get too scary or embarrassing, but his tush was firmly planted on the couch the entire time. Recommended.

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byRT96950 December 25, 2010

Great for older kids, but to "evil" and too violent for tweens.

What a thrilling movie! Jones is a good role model almost every respect.

Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Not As Clean As You Think

This film defies age. I don't know how many of my teenage guy friends still enjoy the Indiana Jones movies. My favorite is The Last Crusade, but this is a good one too.

That said. I don't understand why so many people let their children see this movie. I saw it at age fourteen and it was still intense. People get impaled through the head with spears. Riddled with blowdarts. Burned to death. Shot and have blood dribble out of their mouth. Melted. Have their heads explode. Get shredded by an airplane propeller and have their blood spray a window. Some of this is fairly fake-looking, but I don't think that mitigates the violence. The Indiana Jones films try to gross you out with disgusting violence. This film was originally going to be rated R. Does that surprise anyone? It didn't surprise me at all. The language used in this film is overall not that bad for a PG movie in the eighties, but it should still be noted that there are about eight uses of cursing in this film (including one s-word).
Also, Indiana Jones and his girlfriend have a very strongly implied tryst. The film shows them kissing on top of a bed in a fairly sensual scene and later shows her naked wrapped in the sheets so no nudity is visible there. Earlier in the film, the said girl-friend's bare back is visible as she changes and she wears a dress that isn't terribly modest.
That all said, I think a lot depends on your teens when deciding whether or not to let them see this film. However, I don't think I'd let most kids under the age of fourteen see this particular Indiana Jones movie. The PG-rating is deceptive parents. Don't be fooled by it into thinking that this is a family movie. This was nearly rated R, remember? Treat it at least like a PG-13 (and an edgy one at that).

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysweetiemarch July 8, 2010

Great Action Classic!

Our family LOVED this action movie! It is definetely a great action movie! Kids younger than 10 can watch this movie, but they should look away at certain deaths! Such as the (what's his name) guy who got speared in the temple and the propeller guy that Indy got in a fistfight with! Other than that it is a great movie that 8 year olds can watch, but make sure you fastforward the parts that I mentioned! :D

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byBuckGodot May 1, 2011

Classic Movie for older kids!

Great movie but too much violence and very graphic for anyone under 11.

Adult Written byMi3 February 9, 2011

Parent Written byCAROLYN AND MY MAREN October 21, 2011

BAD EXAMPLES FOR KIDS

I can't believe they let 3rd graders watch this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad Language, Drinking, and Bad Violence, I think it is very innappropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written bypzelchenko July 26, 2009

Depends...

Depends on your family's personal attitudes. Kids can imagine worse than this. I like to laugh loudly during the horrific scenes (e.g., faces melting) to convey the message that it's just Hollywood. Worse is the bad role-modeling. Everyone is a mercenary, even the heroic couple. Don't really like that.

Adult Written byJune50 June 9, 2010

Great Adventure Movie

Great rousing adventure movie that blends action, romance, humor and fantasy/horror. The script by Lawrence Kasdan is very clever, the hero is interesting and charming and the heroine is likeable and tough. The opening sequence is among of the most memorable in films and the action scenes are well executed and feature impressive stunt work.While the movie is generally fun there are some intense scenes that might not be appropriate for some younger children. I recommend this film for those 9 and up.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byBrad Kemp October 16, 2009

You need to watch this with your child if less than 12 years of age.

This is the original movie from the series of treasure searching expeditions introduced by Steven Spielberg. This is very much a movie for boys. I would say it requires a parent to be with the child to add context to the action. The only problem you’ll have is keeping them contained as they try to recreate scenes by jumping from the couch. There is a drinking scene, a domestic slapping scene and a couple of the violence scenes are gory (early impaling by spikes and a late scene where a Nazi mechanic meets the spinning propeller). The distinction between good guys and bad guys is as clear as a Jersey divider with little ambiguity, which makes it easy for the 7 – 10 year olds to understand. And who doesn’t like to see the good guy prevail and get the girl in the end?

Adult Written bydeltadawn5 April 9, 2008

Cool!!

It was a pretty cool movie. A must-see for everyone. Nice action and storyline.

Parent Written byMovieGoer123 December 12, 2011

Action, Adventure and a little history!!!!

Great action movie. There is more violence on the 6 o'clock news. Funny, historical information that may bring up educated questions that require educated answers.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byWeeklybob June 10, 2011

Let's Talk

Who talks to their kids after movies? Especially about dumb stuff like this!

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bytsmom November 18, 2009

Parent of a 11, 14, 15, and 18 year old Written bySuezq October 29, 2010

Parent of a 1, 1, 4, 9, 9, and 16 year old Written byMariofan January 26, 2010

The best movie ever !

My kid likes it! It's his favorite movie. He is constantly using the characters in his imagination. He makes a couple of bad characters good, and makes others extremely bad. My kid is a TohtFan , so he started crying during the Ark Ceremony. He makes jokes about the characters! Very funny ones.

Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

For ages 13 and up, but parents should be cautioned

Violent at parts, but mostly it's done in comedic way.