Parent reviews for Invictus

Invictus Poster Image

Do you like Morgan Freeman? Do your teens like sports? Do you want to teach your kids about Apartheid using something they like? Then this is the movie for you. Stellar acting and a captivating story.

Inspiring story with teaching moments

My 11 and 10 year olds asked a lot of questions about Mandela, who was portrayed flawlessly by Morgan Freeman. My 7 year olds enjoyed the sport aspect and the moments when kids interact with the players.

Starts slow for younger kids, but worth it for a good family movie

It was a good family movie for 12 and 15 yr olds. Lots of action at the end, but entertaining throughout. Got us talking and thinking.

Show it -- language be darned!

With parent permission, I showed it to my 5th/6th grade class. They were deeply affected in a positive sense, and it opened all kinds of dialogue -- about racism on all sides, about rugby rules, about the meaning of the title poem -- which we read and discussed in the classroom. We also discussed the film as literature -- what does the opening scene convey (poor black kids playing football/soccer, white rich kids playing rugby -- the fence material -- the response to Mandela as president. And more, of course, as the film went on.

Invictus is amazing!!!

Invictus is a great movie about sportsmanship and having faith in your team.

solid movie with good moral lessons

good story and themes on courage, perseverence, trust and teamwork

Inspirational History Lesson...as History should be taught and more would be interested in learning!

i was not watching it with the intention of sharing with my kids...but now may re-watch it as it is such a well done movie and such a great lesson for my kids to learn...off hand don't remember anything shockingly off, but may once i watch it again with the intention of sharing with my 9 & 7 year olds...4 year old probably would not stay interested anyway! but def. think this is a movie for all kids to see and learn from at some point! what an amazing man Mandela is! the swearing is something my kids probably would not notice anyway...and i would rather be the one to explain that type of language to them anyway as oppose to kids at school and i can easily skip the first few minutes as someone mentioned something in the beginning that i missed as i was quickly checking my email and just listening to the opening song...if not now i will watch with my kids at some point! and have already spoke to them about it as we were reading about him in the new book "Heroes for my Son" the next day after i had just watched the movie!

CommonSense media isn't...

What the hell is wrong with you people?! No conventional violence?! What?! Within the first 60 seconds of the movie we are presented with close up video of man collapsed in the street with blood and brain fluid gushing from his head. CommonSense Media, get some editorial control over Sandie Angulo Chen. She obviously doesn't actually watch the videos she reviews.

I love it. It's good for kids who are able to understand the history and its significance. Some parents think its a bad movie but I just say that's either racism or stupidity. Who doesn't want to watch a movie about a Nobel Peace Price Winner integrate a divided nation? Come one, this is inspiring and can make a grown man cry. But remember, DON'T SHOW THIS TO YOUR CHILD IF THEY CAN'T COMPREHEND IT'S HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE. Most teenagers nowadays are very ignorant and only care about their own little world. Those who care about more than themselves and their surroundings are the ones able to appreciate a movie like this. It's not just about rugby, it's about integrating a nation and ending an apartheid. If your child can't understand something like that on their own then don't show this to them. All they will get out of this is another sports movie when the team always wins. It's what the win accomplishes that's important.