Parent reviews for Jaws

Jaws Poster Image

Skip the first scene and you are probably OK.

This is a very scary movie especially if you pick up on the subtle lines that get thrown around. It gets pretty gruesome, but mostly in a campy blood and guts sort of way. There are two exceptions. A ship captain is killed toward the end and it is very prolonged and disturbing. The second is the opening scene which is a solid R by any reasonable standard. Let's ignore the drugs and the dated treatment of drinking. Let's also ignore the total frontal nudity in this PG movie. The real problem is the psychosexual undertones in the shark POV cuts. We are treated to a literally faceless, naked, vulnerable woman from the perspective of a monster who is thinking "I'd like to attack and eat that." Skinny dipping is easy to explain away, as is hooligans smoking weed. But when your kid thinks that the girl getting attacked was scary but kind of felt weird, good luck with that.
1 person found this helpful.
This movie doesn’t have that much violence but it’s still intense there is moderate language but it isn’t to much for young teens this is how I rank blood some blood fair amount of blood lots of blood tons of blood plenty of blood and then stuff like very bloody extremely bloody violence 6%10 early in the movie someone is eaten there’s lots of blood little boy is eaten some blood a dead body emerges from a sunken ship and i think you might see his eye plucked out some one is eaten blood coming out of his mouth shark shot huge explosion and blood spatters I now there’s moderate language but I don’t remember the words this is how I rank language some language moderate language frequent language lots of language tons of language constant language and this movie also has some sex sex 3%10 a girl gos swimming naked but I don’t remember seeing anything bad and there’s also some kissing thanks for reading my review my next review will be for jaws 2
1 person found this helpful.

Jaws Review

Jaws is a Steven Spielberg masterpiece as it has terrific performances, interesting characters, and an amazingly crafted great white shark.

A taut and suspenseful thriller!

An iconic film that keeps the audience wrapped around its finger and in taut suspense. We are Roy Scheider and he takes us through the peril as if we were surfing on the edge of a knife. He wraps us into his world. I first saw this film on a 4th of July film binge-fest and it was scary. Now that I have seen it a few times it is less scary, but it still makes me jump. And the mayor...that mayor...his character has taken on new meaning since the onset of COVID-19. It certainly isn't safe to go out on the beach...

This Is What I Think of Jaws Forty Seven Years After!

Jaws is the bestest and greatest movie ever made! Scheider, Gary, Hamilton, Shaw, Dreyfuss, and all of the actors, and background acted like real life, and seemed like they lived their parts! Not just acting their parts! Bruce the mechanical shark looked as real as possilbly done! The shark attacks looked quite real!

10+ if your child is not scared by blood

My daughter is 10 and loved it . It is a bit gruesome , but my daughter didn’t find it frightening . There is no sexual scenes which to me is the main thing . I think I heard , you son of a bitch , but other than that , no stand out bad language .

This is literally the best movie ever made!

Everything is fine in this movie unless you don't like gore.

It was Fine

It was overall fun. A lot of SEX! WAY TO MUCH! Sharks may be disturbing for ages less than 14. PG!!!! pre-quill still is entertaining!

Terrorized my 6 year old

I feel like a terrible mom. I let my 6 year old watch this and he has seen Jurassic Park and other adult movies so I thought this would be ok. I had forgotten how gory it was. The scene where they went scuba diving and saw the dead guy absolutely terrorized my son, I’ve never seen him scared like that EVER and he cried after that scene. I felt so bad and mad at myself. My husband and I took turns with him because he couldn’t sleep that night. Anyways not okay for small kids :(