Parent reviews for Life Is Beautiful

Life Is Beautiful Poster Image

Missing an important detail

This is one of my all time favorite movies so I wanted to introduce it to my 11 yr old son. It has been a long time so I looked it up on CSM: Just wanted to write this review to comment that under sex it neglected to say that main adult male character says in one conversation maybe 5 times how much he wants to make love to woman he is courting. I would have expected CSM to have noted this. The humor is fast paced but my son caught on on his own after I paused and explained a bit so he started to understand the humor and quick pace.
1 person found this helpful.
A lovely film

Sad, funny, heartwarming and educational.

My 11 year old is learning about the holocaust in school and wanted to watch the boy in the striped pajamas but I chose this instead as its a favourite of mine. My 9 year old also watched it and was fine. The worst part is there's a brief artistic scene of what my 9 year old saw correctly- a huge pile of bodies. Although this sounds graphic nothing was visible in terms of gore. The film has sad moments but thats part of growing up in my opinion. The rest of the film balances the sadness out and its a truly beautiful story in a horrible time.

Know your kids

This is a beautiful movie, way funnier than I expected, and incredibly sweet. The only graphic moments in the movie are a foggy view of a huge pile of corpses, and gunshots off-camera. I would say it is fine to show a kid of any age, as long as they have already learned about the Holocaust, and how serious it really was. If they don't know about it, or are too young to understand the gravity of it, this movie will be extremely confusing to them. Underneath the lighthearted tone it is a painful story, and that duality may not be appreciated by younger viewers. I watched with my younger brothers (9 and 12) who both have learned about the Holocaust and WWII. I am glad my 6-year-old sister did not join us -- while she is mature for her age, the history and irony of the movie would have been too difficult to explain to her.

Humour in a tragic place

Every child should watch it with a parent. They must learn of this tragic past and the parent should explain and guide the child in understanding that there is nothing funny about what happened in those times. They should also understand how very concerned the father is for his son and his need to protect the child from the horror of the situation. That is what we as parents all would want to do because we love them so much. He was more successful than most. Hopefully it will teach our children to be more sensitive and protect the world from ever letting this happen again. I was 12 when I read "The Diary of Ann Frank" and 15 when I read "Exodus" (the full version by Leon Uris.) It gave me a greater understanding.

This is a great movie. I could go on and on about how great it is but I won't. People are saying that it makes a joke out of what happened during the Holocaust but it's just a message that says how far you would go to protect, and not scare your child. It is pretty violent so you should be at least 11 or mature enough before you watch this. This is because kids need to understand what happened in world war 2 before they watch this rather than them just seeing the terrible things that happened there. But it is a great movie just kids should be mature before watching this

Amazing!!!

We had watched this movie in high school and it is so heartwarming and if will make you think of what was happening back then.

Moving, funny, and very well-paced; best for teens and up

Try not to find out a lot about "Life is Beautiful", because I think it gives a better experience when one doesn't know a lot of where this movie goes. What I will say is that the movie's message is incredibly powerful: it worries more about perseverance, love, and protection of close ones to keep them sane. There is some mild slapstick violence (a pot and some eggs fall on a man's head) and some heard gunshots. There are some scenes of drinking, but not to excess, and some flirting between two characters (there's kissing and brief sexual references). The second half of the film, in particular, is tough to watch. But the message of the film is very moving that I would recommend it for teens, and even mature preteens. 9.75/10

Benigni's good intentions don't absolve his disrespect

It's funny: I was actually expecting a five star review of this movie from CSM before I even logged in. It fits their basic criteria of positive messages, dramatic real life events and sentimentality to warrant a perfect rating. But "LIB" is far from perfect. No, it is painfully imperfect, a disrespectful slapstick slap in the face to those who perished in the Holocaust. The movie swims with flaws: how would Guido not be shot in the camps initially for all of his antics? How were he and his son (English version calls him Joshua) able to duck the guards? Why did the movie go from whimsical Italian man courts a woman to looking at bodies of Jewish victims in the Holocaust? This movie is wrong on so many levels, but I'm not branding it with a sole star because I think I do understand Roberto Benigni's intentions. He wanted to go big, he wanted to be like Chaplin in "The Great Dictator." He wanted to suggest that preserving a child's innocence in a death camp (literally impossible, but okay) is what truly matters. But when he's cracking wise about people being made into soap and buttons, it's not funny. It really happened. I'm all for cutting edge humor but Benigni couldn't pick a genre for this movie. I don't wish for people not to see it; obviously this is a film people are extremely polarized over, and the Academy obviously disagreed with me. But for me, I found "LIB" to be disrespectful to its subject matter, and the actor himself, while gifted comedically, grating in certain points.