Kid reviews for Life Is Beautiful

Life Is Beautiful Poster Image

For Parents With Sensitive Kids

I was kind of forced to watch this movie in Grade Six as an 11 year old. Now I am almost 13 and I still have nightmares. This movie totally depends on your child's maturity and sensitivity. I am pretty mature but very sensitive to violence. A key character dies unexpectedly, you see a guy with a gun and the gunshot, the character is behind a wall when shot. My heart broke in this film. It's scarily realistic and characters mention that children are made into soap and buttons, although somehow it is played for laughs? Characters are shown entering a gas chamber, though deaths aren't on screen. Very sad and painfully realistic movie. It starts out funny but very soon gets grim and dark. Despite the happy ending, I wish I hadn't watched it. It is upsetting, but then again, I am pretty sensitive. I would say to know your child's maturity and sensitivity levels before watching this movie. The messages are great. I hope this review helps you decide.

1 person found this helpful.

Italy's Beautiful instant classic about the Jewish and concentration camps in this amazing dramatic movie

In 1939, Jewish-Italian Guido Orefice comes into Arezzo, Italy, ultimately to open a book store. In the meantime, he will work as a waiter at the hotel restaurant where his Uncle Eliseo is the maître d'. In town, he meets a school teacher named Dora, who he calls Princess and who comes from a wealthy Italian family. For him, it's love at first sight. Despite she already being in a relationship with another man, Guido ultimately sweeps her off her feet. They get married and have a son they name Giosué. On Giosué's fifth birthday, World War II is in full force. Since they are Jewish, the Germans take away Guido, Eliseo and Giosué to a labor camp. Wanting to be with her family, Dora insists she be taken too, but she is housed in the women's side of the camp. To protect Giosué from the horror of what is happening to them, Guido tells him that they are playing a game, certain actions which garner points, other actions which take points away or disqualify one from the game. The first to reach 1,000 points wins the prize of a real tank. Guido's primary goal is to keep Giosué safe at all cost, while he tries to figure out a way to get his family out of the camp and keep the Germans at bay from learning what he is doing with Giosué.

great movie

Great, smart, and interesting movie. The topic's quite depressing. Very emotional movie.

Finding the right words to describe this...

Wow. This movie. I don't even know where to begin. I watched this movie without any previous knowledge, didn't know there were going to be two "parts". That being said, in the beginning it was quite comical. The protagonist Guido spent a long time chasing after the love of his life, eventually leaving to start a family together. It took a drastic turn when they were required to board buses to concentration camps. Guido, as an italian-jew, and his son were forced. Guido didn't want his son to know the extent of what was to happen, so he made it into a game. The mother Dora came along as well. Throughout their "game", Guido ensured to keep his son safe and made it fun for the kid while they were there. Uncertain of their future. As expected, the holocaust was one of the most heartbreaking, wretched events to go down in history. You can expect to bring a box of tissues as some horrific things will happen. I rated it at 12+, most kids will be petrified, but nothing gory or graphic was depicted. It's also a little tougher to understand. Overall, this movie is a lighter way to get a basic understanding of the holocaust and just one of many stories to listen to.

Life is Beautiful Film Review

When learning about World War two, some choose to watch a movie. Some movies give people great insights into knowledge over many different topics, others are there to change your emotions and give you a story to latch onto. “Life is Beautiful” gives the viewers a mixture of both. The movie is broken into two parts one which deals more with Guido Orefice, an Italian waiter, who falls in love with a woman named Dora, and the other being a darker turn. Eventually, the two lovers get married and have a kid, Giosue, towards the end of the first part, but opening into the second part of film, the family all gets sent to concentration camp. Since this film is a comedy/drama there are some inaccuracies that are displayed throughout the film, like when they family is separated via sex, even though this is correct the son would have been sent to the doctors rather than straight to the cabin. At the doctors he would have been told to take a shower, and the faucet would produce deadly gas. The movie does show this with the uncle dying, but the inaccuracy comes from the child not being immediately sent there. But on a different view this film does have some historical accuracy. In 1938 Italy introduced anti Jewish laws. In 1938, two years before entering the war on Hitler’s side. Jews lost their jobs, could not go to school, and were shamed in the news. This is portrayed in the movie in the dining scene with the uncle having to get Guido and tell him about how his horse has been vandalized by someone painting on the uncle's Jewish horse. Another example of this act happened with Guido’s book store, when he put down the overhead gate it read “Jewish store”. In addition the movie also shows lightly some of the jobs the Jews had to go through like mining, factory work, and it did express some Jews had better jobs like when the doctor was able to get Guido to be waiter towards the end of the movie. Overall this movie does show the atrocities of the Holocaust in a more lighted manor, but I will say in its defense this movie was supposed to be more lighthearted because of the audiences seeing it, and the concept of the Holocaust was not the main topic, but more on how even in the darkest times there is always good. I personally would recommend this movie as a source of World War two to anyone, but I will have to say this movie is a lot more soft on the topic. So it could be a introduction into the Holocaust, but should deffentily not be your primary source. However, if you are looking for a really good movie to watch then go grab some popcorn and watch it, it will leave you speechless.

Life Is Beautiful film review.

Life Is Beautiful If you were to ask me what movie to watch regarding the Holocaust, I would definitely suggest the late 1990s film Life Is Beautiful, led by an incredible actor, Roberto Benigni. Life Is Beautiful is roughly based on the life of a man named Rubino Romeo Salmoni. Salmoni was a survivor of the Holocaust who recently passed away in 2011. The storyline isn’t necessarily true to him because Salmoni was only 15 and didn’t have a son. Although the characters and storyline aren’t completely based on him, they were in fact based on Salmoni’s experiences. Salmoni was taken to Fossoli during the war and was later moved to Auschwitz. Salmoni made it through because he lied about his age saying he was 18 and not 15. Although Salmoni did lose some family in the concentration camp, when he made it out he started a new life. Life Is Beautiful shows multiple aspects of the Holocaust. The movie depicts the life of a man named Guido, his wife Dora, and his son Giosue. Guido was a Jewish-Italian man who owned a book shop who was taken with his son to a concentration camp. Dora couldn’t live without them so she voluntarily got on the train with them. When Giosue, Guido’s son, wonders where they are going, Guido takes it into his own hands and convinces his son that they are playing a big game. Guido says that by the end of the game the winner will win a real-life tank; the idea of winning a tank keeps Giosue in high spirits because he genuinely believes they are only playing a game. When the movie hits its climax, America has won the war and is bringing prisoners out of the camps. Germany decides the only thing it can do is attempt to get rid of the remaining Jews. When Guido is caught looking for his wife and is taken to be executed, he gets one more glance at his son who was hiding before being killed. When everyone seems to be gone Giosue comes out and sees an American tank coming back for any other prisoners that may have been left behind. Giosue believes that he won the tank. Finally, Giosue finds his mother and the movie ends. Overall the film is mostly historically accurate. However, like most movies, it has a few flaws. The movie successfully shows the living conditions of the prisoners and how men and women were split apart. The movie explains that any elders and children were immediately taken to the gas ovens, yet Guido managed to hide his son. One inaccuracy in the film was its depiction of children running around and playing games during the day; even if they were German, the children would be kept inside at all times while Jewish children were immediately taken to their deaths. In reality, Giosue would have been taken away the second he arrived at the camp. Life Is Beautiful also gives the audience an understanding that hygiene was a huge problem. Everything in the camps was covered in grime and dirt and all of the prisoners slept crammed on a small wooden shelf. Overall, prisoners were given no personal space or privacy. By watching Life Is Beautiful, I learned many different things. The fact that anyone who was not fit was taken to his or her death immediately was new to me. I also learned how harshly the prisoners were treated, as well as how horrific the conditions they lived in were. The men did incredible labor daily, which was too much for some to handle; those unlucky prisoners were killed. From my research, I also learned that Italy had its own policies when it came to its Jewish people. Italian Jews were considered equal until Benito Mussolini took control of Italy. Mussolini joined the Axis powers and declared that Italians were a part of the “pure race”. After 1938, when Mussolini officially entered an alliance with Germany, he ordered Italian armies to attack the Jewish ghettos throughout Italy. Because the movie follows the life of a family in the Holocaust, and despite the fact that it includes a couple of historical flaws, it provides many details of the actual conditions in the camps. The film helps one to understand how Italy treated its Jews before and after Germany took over the country. For all of these reasons and more, I recommend Life Is Beautiful for an incredible movie on the Holocaust.

Madi's Review of Life is Beautiful

The film, Life is Beautiful, did a wonderful job of portraying what it would be like to be Jewish during World War II in Italy. The movie takes place around the time when Italy was teaming up with Germany in the effort to clear out the Jewish population in Europe. Although the story is loosely based on the true story of a Jewish man named Rubino Romeo, parts of the story were exaggerated to make the plot more dramatic. The main character in the movie, Guido, was sent to the same concentration camp as Rubino Romeo. While Rubino Romeo was able to survive Fossoli and Auschwitz, Guido was not able to make it out of Fossoli alive. The German concentration camps are considered much worse than the Italian concentration camps with much harsher conditions and higher death rates. The writers most likely decided to make Guido die in the ending so that people would get an idea of just how harsh the conditions in all of the concentration camps were. His death also represents what he was willing to sacrifice for his son. Guido was a great example of a loving, caring, and selfless father and husband. At the beginning of the movie, Guido loves to make his future wife happy and does everything in his power to help her get away from the man that she almost had to marry. His kindness is paid back when his wife follows him to the concentration camp. Guido is always thinking of others even when he is in scary and uncomfortable situations. He risked his life to play her favorite song just to make her happy. He knew that she felt alone and scared and he was willing to do anything to make her feel better. He shows that same sort of love by protecting his son while they were in the concentration camp. He put on a fake smile for his son and pretended that all of the horrible aspects of the concentration camp were just a game. In his family, the most important thing is to stick together no matter what the circumstance was. I highly recommend this film for those trying to understand the horrifying hardships that families had to endure during World War II. It is somewhat painful to watch, but it is also a beautiful portrayal of selflessness, determination, loyalty, and love. The viewer not only learns about history but also comes to understand some of the personal experiences in the concentration camps during the war.

This movie will show you the lifestyles that maybe you dont even know I cried in the end I appricate all casts and film director and writer lso because it changed my thoughts about people and Guido is a real father I hope maybe one day Everybody's Life will be beautiful forever!

I think it will be better for 15 and more ages teens because story it self can be hurtful sometimes and for teens it is a great movie they will many things about wars and their bad effects also they will learn to be more gentle I think