All parent member reviews for Lincoln

Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byjillyme November 16, 2012

Wonderful, historic film

My children (ages 13 & 9) loved this movie. My twins declared it the best film they had ever seen, and my younger son sat through the whole thing with much interest.

There are cuss words, most of which my youngest did not pick up due to the accents of the characters, and a few war scenes, the worse one being at the beginning of the movie. Also be aware that the trailers shown before the film were highly innapropriate. I kept my kids out of the theatre for them, and I am glad I did.

The movie is long and slow paced. If your kid is not interested in the history or if they are highly sensitive I would hold off on it. The film is very moving though, and I recommend it for all kids 12 and up, younger if they are highly interested in the subject.

Parent Written byctjbush November 25, 2012

Foul language in the land of Lincoln.

There were too many G-- D---s in the early part of the movie. Terrible. Then my kids and I left the theater when someone on-screen dropped the F-Bomb. Totally uncalled for.

Parent Written bythenoah November 16, 2012

Not the best, but very good

I was expecting a civil war epic. In some ways, I was pleasantly surprised, but in some I was bitterly disappointed. A bit more like watching a documentary, not a movie. Still acting and scenery were superb. A bit of cussing. although I think it is okay for younger children, they will NOT be interested.

Parent Written byMom 22 November 18, 2012

Very strong language, using the Lord's name many, many times and I believe I heard the "F" word twice, which I thought could only be used once in PG 13.

Adult Written bychristian2011 November 18, 2012

Great movie based on the legendary 16th president of the U.S.

Lincoln is another fantastic biographical drama based on the legendary president Abraham "Honest Abe" Lincoln, and Steven Spielberg never fails to deliver in his movies, especially this one. It's chalked full of amazing actors and actresses, such as Daniel Day Lewis as Abraham and Sally Field as his wife. They truthfully make a great acting duo and he is best pick to look exactly like Lincoln himself. The violence is mostly war related, showing intense battle sequences from the Americans and the Soviet Union in the Civil War, and yes, there are some disturbing images of wounded bloody soldiers and corpses in the battlefield, including the aftermath. Language is occasional, uses of terms that doesn't extend to f**k. However, the storyline, setting, use of the actors and how they demonstrate the characters is undoubtedly amazing.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTerryD November 27, 2012

Excellent movie about a subject you think you know but don't.

Even my son who is a history buff learned new things about this time period from this film. I thought he might have been a bit bored when there weren't many battle scenes, but he was actually enthralled by the story and the beautifully acted characterzations rather than caractures often depicted in historically based movies.

This film isn't for everyone; its more of a thinking persons movie than a teen action movie. All the actors in this movie were spot on. It even encouraged me to research certain situations to see if they were factual and they were.

Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byImjustsaying November 24, 2012

Great movie for the whole family

I really liked this movie. It is long but not boring, I love that period in history, civil war, fashion, etc. The movie is long and talky so younger kids might get bored but my 14 year old loved it and so did my 9 year old even though she got antsy around hour and half into it. The movie is very moving and follows the civil war, Lincoln's as president, trying to get slavery abolished and his marriage/children life.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byaea309 November 30, 2012

"This is so well done"!

My 12 year old kept turning to me and saying "This is so well done!" It was wonderfully done. Sally Field was terrific. Great ensemble cast. I won't say my son is a history buff, but he loves Lincoln, and well made movies. Some of the language was surprising but not too much. The goriness of the war was startling but no worse than Saving Private Ryan. Plus it's the truth. My son and I discuss war and politics all the time. As the future of this country I want him to understand just how horrible war is because it seems our "go to". We discussed how Democrats and Republican were displayed, and why they did what they did for hours afterwards. We linked it to what was is happening today. It was a great opportunity to tie history and current events together, and question the absurdity of it all. The film impressed him immensely, and I was just glad he was old enough to appreciate it. It took its time, as others said, but it was well worth it! Younger than 12/13 may not enjoy or understand it as much.

Adult Written byJEDI micah December 21, 2012

Spielberg has done it again!!!

Man, Spielberg knows how to make a great movie! Lincoln is an excellent movie! The acting, especially done by Daniel Day-Lewis, is very well-done, the story, even though predictable, is well-written, and the positive messages President Lincoln shows makes him a great role model for kids! The violence in this movie is not that bad compared to other historical war movies, although there are some disturbing scenes of dead bodies of soldiers. Language is a little bit strong, with two uses of the "f" word, and a large use of the "n" world for African Americans. Other than that, this is a really good movie, not just for history buffs, but for everyone who wants a good way to remember America's greatest President!

Parent Written byShivom Oza February 5, 2013

Lincoln (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – They Don’t Make Them Like Abe Anymore!

It is often believed that political dramas make for exciting films. What if, they are historical? What if, they involve iconic leaders? What if, they are directed by multiple-Academy-award-winning auteurs? What if, the principal character is essayed by a multiple-Academy-award-winning actor? What if, the film, despite being over 2.5 hours long, has enough steam to educate, inspire and move you? Yes, we are talking about Steven Spielberg’s ‘Lincoln’, wherein Daniel Day-Lewis plays the 16th President of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln.

The film has some of the most impactful cinematic moments of this year. Be it the debates, longish monologues, eerie use of silence, enigmatic conversational dialogue, the film has all the makings to be a memorable political drama. The length could have been cut short a trifle, but the film remains what it was meant to be – Great!

Since it’s a real-life story, there is no ‘plot’ as such. The film revolves around the final four months of Lincoln’s (Daniel Day-Lewis) life in January 1865, focusing on his efforts to have the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution passed by the United States House of Representatives. This Amendment is being proposed in order to formally abolish slavery in the country. While the Civil War is underway, Lincoln is concerned that his 1863 Emancipation Proclamation maybe discarded by the courts once it concludes and the 13th Amendment defeated by the returning slave states . Thus, he wants the amendment to be passed by the end of January, hence removing any possibility that slaves who have already been freed may be re-enslaved. Needless to say, there is opposition from within his party and from outside. The film successfully showcases the various games people play to attain political dominance.

Other pivotal characters of this adaptation include Secretary of State William Seward (David Strathairn), his wife Mary Todd Lincoln (Sally Field), the elder son Robert Lincoln (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), W.N Bilbo (James Spader) and Thaddeus Stevens (Tommy Lee Jones) among others. The film encompasses terrific dialogues (Tony Kushner, who is also the screenplay writer), a great premise (thanks to Doris Kearns Goodwin’s novel ‘Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln’), breath-taking visuals and superb performances (Lewis, Field, Jones, Spader among others). Special mention must go to the make-up department. No one looks, or acts, out of character. The historic accuracy of the film is open to debate. There are a few historians who have commended Spielberg’s efforts and there are some who have opposed the representation of some facts in the film. However, purely as a historical biopic (even if it comprises the last four months of his life), the film is a must-watch for politics/history/cinema enthusiasts. You may need to have basic knowledge about the American political system for watching this film. While watching this film, one wonders and rues why Indians have not been able to capture the lives of legends such as Gandhi and Nehru as excellently. Nehru is one such political figure whose biopic will make for an interesting watch! Hope someone makes that possible.

Lincoln’s life story was fascinating. His rise from being a poor, self-educated child to become one of the most enigmatic personalities in world history is remarkable. Steven Spielberg’s film just captured the last four months of his life. Imagine if someone were to chronicle his entire life!

Shivom Oza

Parent Written bydavidrox January 21, 2013

WOW

I LOVED It! it was sooo good. the script was amazing, the actors were amazing, the whole premise of the movie was amazing. this movie surrounds Abe Lincoln trying to pass the thirteenth amendment, to abolish slavery. however I STRONGLY CAUTION you do not show this to younger kids. this is because there is a battle scene, filled with men shooting each other, and STABBING each other in the face with gore and blood. another scene where you see a pile of severed limbs, and another part where you see a cannon ball in someone's chest. also the language is bad, featuring the N word, the B word, two F words, lots of S words, and lots of A words, and D words. i suggest thirteen and over can see this.
Language: 6/10, Violence: 8/10, Sex: 0/10

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy December 30, 2012

This is amazing.

This is a really cool movie.It is action packed,great acting,cool graphics,and it's just AWESOME.