Parent reviews for Mad Hot Ballroom

Mad Hot Ballroom Poster Image

To the reviewer that was upset it was a dance "competition"

Like it or not life is a competition: * Graduating near the top of the class in High School is a competition. * Getting into a great college is a competition. * Applying for jobs after is a competition. * Buying a house is a competition. * Finding your partner is a competition. and on and on and on... It would be great if we could all have ocean front property in a safe town with amazing schools. I actually wish living some place safe was not a competition, but even that is. Raising your kids to count on "participation trophies" in adult life is not going to serve them well in "the real world"

Loved it...full of fun

Really a great mix of kids learning to love dancing and get much positive growth from it.... the competitive part showed some interesting things about kids who HAD to win and others who just had fun... Most of the teachers are good but you could see a few who clearly need to learn to chill a bit ... It's a really wonderful time watching though.

Try to do your best (but you might not always win)

I think this movie is great. The kids work really hard and do their best. In my opinion, they are great role models for my kid. Although I watched this film more than a year ago, I still remember one boy's perplexity at having come in second, *although they had done their best and exactly what their coach/teacher had told them.* It was moving seeing him forced to absorb this painful but real life lesson (and I watched my own son absorb it by proxy).

Mad Hurt Ballroom

This is an entertaining film and a disturbing one. Why do we need to crush certain kids' spirits by cutting them after giving them hope and motivation and fun? Why does this ballroom dance program have to be a competition? Wouldn't it be just as good if it culminated in a citywide dance festival? Think about these things when you watch the losers' reactions.