Parent reviews for Madeline

Madeline Poster Image

Use of the word Bl**dy

Watched this on Netflix, rated as a U. This is in no way, imo, a U. There are a few scary scenes including Madeline falling in the river and a face appearing suddenly at the window in the kitchen. At about 40 minutes into the film when the girls neighbours son can’t find the keys to his bike his father explains he doesn’t need his ‘Bl**dy keys’. The film is ok but didn’t get any further than the keys scene before switching it off so not sure if there’s more language after that. Should be rated a PG in my opinion if not higher, I wasn’t aware swearing was allowed on films rated U or even PG.

Not like the book at all

The first few minutes is the actual Madeline book, but they changed it significantly. The 'good' thing they smile at is a couple kissing in a park, the 'bad' was to men fighting, the 'sad' was nothing at all. They scene in the hospital of the kids playing with toys was replaced with one girl calling Madeline a 'charity case' because she's apparently now an orphan. This made the scene with the kids crying & wanting their appendixes out make no sense. Instead of being brave, they show Madeline as being disobedient. Kids regularly get rewarded for misbehaving. Instead of having a sweet kids movie they had to turn it into an action/adventure with Madeline rescuing a boy and riding off with him on a motorcycle. It's not a good movie, and it's certainly not Madeline.

Everyone's Favorite Little French Girl Hits the Movies

In an old house in Paris that is covered with vines, live twelve little girls in two straight lines, including the spunky smallest one, Madeline. This adaptation condenses several of Madeline's adventures, including an appendectomy, falling into the Seine and finding a pet, and meeting Pepito, the "bad hat" next door who becomes a friend and a great help during the film's main conflicts. Madeline, her friends, and their dedicated teacher Miss Clavel must band together to save their school when Lord Covington (based on the books' Lord Cuckoo-Face) threatens to close it. The stakes are high especially for Madeline, whose orphaned status means she has nowhere to live without the school. The girls' efforts are funny, cute, and sometimes touching, though they do sometimes include misbehavior (such as setting off fireworks in the yard during choir practice, thanks to Pepito). Madeline and Pepito are also kidnapped as part of a subplot; while all turns out well, this could be scary for little kids. There are generally no other caveats, except that insults like "idiot" are tossed around. Schedule a virtual trip to Paris and the old house ASAP.

Disappointing and not good for a young audience

We happened to see this at a museum showing where there were many children younger than 6 in attendance. The books are full of older themes (Pepito and the guillotine, for instance) but this movie pulled out more scary pieces not in the books, which weren't done well at all. There were also parts of the movie that dwelled on the "mean" girls in the school, which wasn't done in a learning-kind of way (ie, needed a lot of explanation for younger girls, ie 6 year olds). And, as an adult, there were no jokes, bits, or funny parts that either the other adults or even the children found funny. Really disappointing. Not worth renting, and not even sure it's right for older children. No great messages or great role models, and too much violence for the target age group.

caution - not as innocent as the book - watch it with your kids so you can point out inapproriate behavior

It was very exciting for my girls to see the movie after they had read the book several times. The movie is surprisingly quite well done and entertaining - BUT there are several elements that made me very uncomfortable having my children view it: untrue to the book Madeline is an orphan, there is a lot of bullying and arguing amongst the girls, inappropriate innuendo about the boy next door, name calling, a scene where Madeline realizes that a chicken she has befriended has been cooked for dinner, a benefactor dies and there is semi-teary discussion about it, there is an extensive inappropriate scene involving undergarments and one child prancing around in a bra, there is a kidnapping, and Madeline seems to get into too much trouble, as well as taunt and instigates fights - etc, etc, etc, Having said that - we started watching the movie before I realized that maybe we shouldn't be watching it - but I tried to explain correct behavior or expected behavior at every turn. So I was pretty much on edge during the viewing - but the kids liked several of the scenes and hopefully a lot of it went over their heads!!???????

not rated for age

funny film

good movie, but not worth buying. there is a reference to a large bra as "boo_ie baskets".
not rated for age

My girls loved it...but it's scarier than the books!

My daughters LOVE Madeline, and were excited to see this movie. The only issues I have with it were the references to death that are NOT in the books! In the movie, Madeline is an orphan. It works with the story line of the movie, but both of my children have had anxieties about me and/or my husband dying since watching the movie. Also, the benevolent benefactor of the school dies in the hospital while Madeline is there recovering from her appendix removal. Her husband, whom we later learn is simply unsure how to deal with his grief, decides to sell the school. The drama is keyed-up in the movie, making too scary for some young fans of the books. That said, the film is well-acted and enjoyable, and while I, too, object to the "boobie-baskets" choice, it fits the scene. (The owner has just informed the school mistress that he will be closing the school, and the girls have refused their dinner, sneaking down to the kitchen later they are up to no good.) While I would have preferred that the movie stick closer to the story line of the books, we (my mom, the girls & I) all enjoyed the movie and recommend it!