All parent member reviews for Mamma Mia!

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

a fun movie to watch with your kids

This is fine for most kids. Yes, they do swear and it has sexual behavior, but most kids won't even realize it. It is a fun movie.

Adult Written byChristian reveiwer October 31, 2009

Not approriate for any age

Some friends said that this movie would be a great family movie. NO NO No... I can't believe the vulgarity of this movie. I love Abba but I mean common, making most of their songs Sexy and vulgar dance to them. When the song Gimme gimme gimme came on the brides friends started taking her so called fathers' and poll dancing with them and it was just inappripriate. DON'T WATCH this movie if you want to ruin Abba's songs!!!

Parent of a 8 year old Written bySammy568 August 5, 2009

A fun movie, but be ready to distract your tween

Most of the sexual references are subtle and go right over my daughter's head, although I do distract her if I know something questionable is coming up. The fun music is what my daughter really enjoyed. I don't think for one moment that she's going to emulate what she sees on the screen. I've raised her better than that.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bygddown October 29, 2009

Not a great message for kids of any age

I know it's increasingly becoming reality, but the movie portrays a highly dysfunctional family as light and largely problem free. It's as if the daughter could follow in her mother's sexual footsteps and expect a carefree life...
That said, ABBA's tunes are as catchy as ever.

Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox May 27, 2011

Mamma Mia!!

This is a nice movie but however, there is some iffy stuff I had to watch out for. I watched this with my 12 year old and I looked up a few times. 12 is a bit iffy to watch at. 13 should be good. If you are 14+ it is fine. There is some sexy stuff in this movie. The whole point of the movie is "Sophie" doesn't know who her father is because her mom slept with 3 different men. There are several uses of "knocked up" and "You got any?".. In one scene a man's butt is showing in front of a lady (FULLY). In a nother scene a woman slides down a mans waist and ties a towel around his 'area'--You can see he 'felt' it--this scene is naughty and it carries on for a few seconds, also in this scene you see a bag full of "toys" (breif). There are several suggestive dance moves. Some lyrics in the songs are mild, but there are refrances such as- "Do your thing", "not to old for sex", "I had a few little love affairs" "Your a teaser you turn them on", "We can go walking" "It was the time of our flower power"---Any way there are some kissed to. One on a beach that last for a VERY short time. 2 passionate kisses between Donna and Sam (one while being only half dressed. And there are 2 meadium kisses between Sophie and Ski. There is a short romantic kiss between Rosie and Bill. Some flirting is on a beach, a few love songs, hand holding, carrying, hugging, sex talk, and some bare chests and such. This movie has little violence, a woman falls from a balcony into a man's arms, a fish with teeth is shown and there is a minor earthquake with LITTLE distruction. As for swears, sl*t, crap and ass- is as bad as it gets. There are some drinks, and a man smoking is shown once. Some people have a party at the bar and are tierd the next morning.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... May 17, 2011

Parent of a 3 and 17 year old Written bypilgrimpoet March 12, 2011

Sheer delight

This movie is beautifully filmed, and it seems as if the whole cast is absolutely having a ball. While yes, there is a mystery as to the young bride's real father, the message of inclusion and the importance of honoring love is timeless and wonderful for kids to learn and their parents to remember.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymanicmamma January 7, 2011

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 15, 2009

not for younger kids in my opinion..

I have to say I didn't love this movie. My best friend recommended it because her 3 year old LOVES this movie. I'm glad I had sense enough to watch it soon myself because I don't feel I'm ready to explain to my 5 year old what a sl*t is (Meryl calls herself that). She also says something about not letting some ejaculate control the decisions she makes with her daughter. I have serious reservations about showing this movie to my 5 year old now that I've seen it.

Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written byamyfolkins October 27, 2009

terrible movie

This is a terrible movie. I loved the live musical, but this was horrible. I could hardly make it to the end.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bypicklesmom September 29, 2010

It's the music we want - just get the sound-track

A lot of questionable sexual references. The storyline itself is a little hard to explain to a child. I previewed it for my 12 year old and gave it a thumbs down. It isn't even that good of a movie.

Adult Written bychangster.eminem February 8, 2010

Watch it now or regret it!

I loved it. It was an amazing musical, although I must say that the broadway was better. But this was amazing!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byShry June 1, 2010

not for kids at all

it contains sexual stuff...like this man with no clothes on..and the gays at the end of it.
also as a story is not appropriate for kids at all

Parent of a 10 year old Written byfarmertom January 14, 2010

Enjoyed it myself but wouldn't recommend it to kids under 18.

I actually really liked the movie. I found myself humming the tunes for at least a week afterward. It made me want to go to Greece and spend a few weeks being lazy in the sun. I'm not a huge fan of musicals but sometimes enjoy them. This was a very entertaining one.
BUT........As a parent, I feel the role model is terrible. One summer the lead actress has a fling with three guys and gets pregnant. I don't like it when single mothers that make poor choices are glamorized. I applaud their effort is raising kids but think that most of the time they made a choice. It isn't like they slipped on a wet rock and got knocked up. And this movie sort of does put the fact that she was a single parent up on a pedestal.
So basically, I don't want my son or daughter watching it but I would gladly see it again myself and I'm sure I will.

Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byRBCS May 25, 2009

Excellent Musical...

Is a great movie....!
My girls 5 and 7, love the music! Children at this age don 't get the dialogs!

Parent Written bynicolasconnault February 25, 2010

This movie would have been absolutely fantastic without the permeating thread of sexuality that runs all the way through it. In fact, it's difficult to extract any strong message from the movie except: "Have fun and sex, don't let people tell you what to do". What a loss of an opportunity to insert very positive messages!

The performance of Meryl Streep is absolutely mind-boggling, she portrays her character more than perfectly.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bylightandlife November 12, 2009

Don't Bother

This movie was classless, tacky, and plain stupid. Good grief.

Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byakenkel October 16, 2009

Fun but be prepared for inevitable questions

This is a fun, energetic, sing along film you'll enjoy over and over again. The big issue is how to expain to your kids why she doesn't know who the father of her child is.

Parent of a 2, 10, and 13 year old Written bySharley August 5, 2009

Perfect for older kids but IMO not tweens

The movie is entertaining for adults and young adults but in this day and age the whole issues of promiscuity is waved around like there is nothing wrong with it. Which to me is very disturbing, I don't want my kid and nephews to grow up with a disrespect towards their bodies or their partner's. Having said this the movie is funny and altogether lighthearted, if you can look past the sexual innuendo and bad role models.