Kid reviews for Man on Fire

Man on Fire Poster Image

Starts off entertaining, but turns out to be an extremely violent murder-fest. Definitely NOT a kids movie!

Denzel Washington, who is typically a good actor, normally plays in movies that are moderately entertaining. And to be fair, the movie’s first half was pretty good. However, the second half was absolutely atrocious. But first, I need to explain how I ended up watching this in the first place. My dad was DYING to remember a movie he saw a long time ago about a bodyguard assigned to protect a young girl in Mexico City, but he just couldn’t remember it! It took him YEARS to finally figure out which movie he was thinking about, and we finally found out it was this movie, Man on Fire. So, my dad decided to rent it for us to watch. Plus, we are fans of Denzel Washington, for his decent movies and the good role model he is. However, since it was rated R, I decided to look up the parents guide on IMDB to make sure there was nothing overly violent or sexual. For violence, it got a “SEVERE” warning. So, whenever IMDB says something has severe violence, I’ll either show my dad the article and what’s exactly violent about it, or if looks too much, just avoid the movie altogether. My dad just quickly scrolled through it, and all he saw were just some typical blood sprays in shootouts. But he GUARANTEED me that he didn’t remember it being overly violent. So, we paid 4 FREAKING dollars to rent it on Amazon, because my dad remembered it being an entertaining, LIGHT-hearted movie. But oh-nay-nay!!! It ended up being a bloody murder-fest in the second half. I will explain more soon! So, the basic storyline of the movie is about a burned out, ex-CIA agent named John Creasy (played by the legendary Oscar-winner Denzel Washington) who is guilt-ridden from the choices he made in the past, and is an alcoholic. He goes to visit a friend of his in Mexico City, a place where kidnapping frequently happens. However, his friend, Samuel Ramos (played by Christopher Walken), gives him a job to be a bodyguard for a 9-year-old American girl named Lupita, she goes by “Pita”, (played by Dakota Fanning). He soon makes a bond with her and begins to care for her. That’s the story of the FIRST HALF! Which is what I’ll start with reviewing. Denzel Washington plays a good role overall. He starts out EXTREMELY depressed and guilt-ridden, like I said. However, it is entertaining to watch him form a bond with Dakota Fanning. He starts teaching her certain skills, like swimming, reading, spelling, etc. There is even some genuinely funny comedy that involves those two characters. Now, this is the storyline of the second half. Pita eventually gets kidnapped. And John Creasy (Denzel), thinking that she’s dead, wants nothing but revenge! He starts torturing criminals BRUTALLY trying to find out who “killed” her. And he gets overly violent, which I’ll explain more in the parents guide. This part of the story is where this movie gets its title “Man on Fire”. I kept thinking the story would get better, but let me just tell you, it worsened! Get ready for a spoiler alert: We later find out that Pita’s father, Samuel Ramos (played by Marc Anthony), was responsible for her kidnapping. He did it basically for money. After his wife finds that out, she begins to despise him for his selfishness and asks Denzel to kill him or she will! So, Denzel lays the same gun he used to attempt his own suicide, by Samuel’s side. Then, he becomes guilty and shoots himself. However, the movie’s ending is where I decided I DIDN’T like the movie. The girl DOES get rescued, but Denzel gets captured by the bad guys and dies of his gunshot wounds! So, basically, it could’ve been a really good movie if they didn’t make it so dark. However, I will explain more of the violent parts in the parents guide section. Violence: The first half of the movie has moderate violence. There’s a shootout that leaves Denzel with some bloody wounds. However, when it starts getting extremely violent is when Denzel is torturing a man in the car asking about information involving the little girl, Pita. You hear the man screaming as he cuts off his fingers like pieces of cheese, as my dad phrased it! He eventually shoots the man point blank and rolls his car off the cliff! He even fires a grenade launcher at an SUV with four guys in the car! He shoots several people and some of it is bloody. And also, in one instance he puts an explosive up a man’s butt (implied), and the explosion is seen from behind. Probably the scene that grossed me out the most is when he literally puts a gun to a man’s hand and blows it off, with extremely bloody results. And the scene where Pita’s father puts the gun to his head is implied. The gunshot is heard when Denzel is walking in the hall. Sex: None that I remember. Language: 18 f-bombs, 2 uses of G.D, and a couple s-words. Not the worst language heard in an R-rated movie. Some cuss words are used in Spanish as well. Substance Abuse: Like I’ve said, a major part of the storyline in the beginning involves Denzel’s character being an alcoholic. He is shown drinking numerous times. Anyways, as much as Denzel is a great actor, I don’t recommend this movie at all. If you’re an average human being, you’ll feel like you need to take a bath to cleanse your mind after you see this. Matter of fact, I pointed out the severe rating on IMDB, and my dad doesn’t even watch many movies that have a “severe violence” warning anymore! So take my advice and skip this one! But if you’re really THAT down and determined to watch it, just watch the first half and then turn it off afterwards!

Pretty Good

this movie is pretty good. 3.5. but not for kids. at least 13 and up. for mature teens.

The best

It was an amazing movie yes there was lot of violence but any muture kid can handle it

Adventurous hyped thriller

Shows how a character develops empathy, violent to young veiwers but otherwise fine, once intense swearing scene from a mother when something sad and tragic happens. Teaches a very amazing moral and should be given more credit too. Revenge is taken when a loved one dies, shows a mother's love for her child, character sacraficed his hsppyness for the sake of another's hsppyness, main character is a drunk lowlife who risks everything to make things right, becoming a better person along the way. Parental movie of a parents worst fear for their child.

Good!!!But violent

It’s like any Denzel Washington movie. Good and suspenseful with a bit of a scare in the movie. Heavy violence and language, main character is an alcoholic and smoking.

Great movie! May be too much language or violence.

Man on fire is a great film for everyone to experience! It has sad parts at the end, but it teaches you something. May have too much violence for young kids though.

Extremely violent, disappointing action film is not for kids.

Violence is the main thing to worry about, this include torture. Language isn't as bad as they say but the violence makes it best for adult audiences. 18+

My rating: R for strong violence and language

Good movie

i loved that movie any kid hat is 11 and p should be able to watch itt it dosent have lots of gore and includes few violent scenes that are not suiable for 10 years old and less i am 12 and love this movie also some swearing