Parent reviews for McFarland, USA

McFarland, USA Poster Image

Yerp

I like

What's this? ANOTHER underdog sports story?

Underdog films proliferate around sport stories and this is no exception. Underdog, fish out of water, and the sentimental feel goods that encourage just a tear or two...this film has all of that. And then of course Kevin Costner. Draw your own conclusions. I eventually enjoyed this film even though it glides over systemic issues that would help explain why the small town is so depressed, but you know...Disney doing what Disney does, mainly wallpapering over depictions of why things are the way that they are and focusing on how one singular person can make a difference against a few token odds.

Good Story

Motivational movie. The reviewer blew on the language report. The movie has some strong language. Not a lot, but enough that I wouldn't show it to my grandchildren.

seeing the world through other racial views

This movie helps support the diverse views for my son growing up in our white, dotcomer world. Really appreciated the acting and the message.

Fabulous film

Entertaining and full of themes and ideas. Very accessible for my two boys (11 and 9) as they love sport. Champion of the underdog, stereotyping, hard choices, fear, the power of your community and prayer.

Language details are misleading!

I always carefully inspect this site for details on the adult language in the film. I was on the fence, but let our 8 year old daughter watch the film. I was disappointed when we discovered the movie uses the words a-s, d--n & h--l once each. Also there are 2 references to teen pregnancy.

Great film!

Watched it with my teenage daughter. Very enjoyable! No profanity, and no situations that my daughter couldn't handle. My daughter also liked the abundance of good-looking boys in the movie. The movie has a brief moment that promotes prayer, but it is very subtle. As a Christian, I appreciated the prayerful moment, but it is so brief that the non-Christian should not be turned off. Even though I knew what was going to happen most of the time, since I read about the movie on Common Sense Media ahead of time, I still enjoyed it. Can't even remember any slow parts. When a two-hour movie leaves you wanting more, that's an achievement. Surprised I'd never heard of this movie before renting it.

Great for the Whole Family (10 and up)

I think this movie is fantastic. It is well done, and really

Very inspirational

This movie is very touching and inspiring not only to those who can relate to the movie but also to the audience of all ages. Simple yet powerful with a message of hope to the young generation out there.