All parent member reviews for Meet the Robinsons

Adult Written byTreeBee April 9, 2008

Bowler Hats terrified my preschooler -we left the theater

I am writing this because I searched for many reviews about this film before I took my preschooler to see this at the theater. She enjoys the "theater experience" and I was happy a G rated movie had come out that I felt confident taking her to see. Alas! The film was full of questionable content - abandonment and growing up alone and the violence was ever present. The T-rex was bad enough but the scene where the bowler hats take over the bodies of the Robinson family was the proverbial straw, and we had to leave the theater with our terrified child. Our daughter was not the only crying child that afternoon.
I was tremendously disappointed in this film and was surprised it had received a G rating. In the future, I will have to see the film first or just boycott Disney products entirely.

Adult Written byblessed2adopt2 April 9, 2008

This movie totally turned me off

When I saw the ads for this movie, (Joan Cusak with the coffee patch) I thought it was cute. However, after I purchased the DVD (we did not see it in the theater), I previewed it before showing it to my 2 (adopted) children.

I was so mad at how they portrayed children in orphanages. Certainly there was another way to portray a boy genius and still have a cute story. Whether or not it was based on a book, I found this movie quite offensive.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJennrleigh April 16, 2011

A MUST SEE for the whole family!

Meet the Robinsons is without a doubt our favorite family movie.
The movie is endearing tale of a little boy who happens to be an inventor (encourages creativity & problem solving) who learns that failure isn't a reason to quit. Failure is an opportunity to learn! The motto is "Keep moving forward!"
What a fantastic message for kids today who only know a world of immediate gratification.
There are a few scary spots but my son, who scares pretty easily- he won't watch Snow White b/c of the Wicked Queen, is fine during these scenes. They make light of these scary situations by throwing in cute jokes!
Also there are are few inappropriate words (such as stupid), but it isn't enough to detract from the extremely positive message of the movie!
I'm shocked by some of these reviews- This is A MUST SEE for even small children!

Parent of a 6 year old Written bybenjaminb April 3, 2011

My husband, myself and my 6 year old child loved it! I think it's one of the best modern kid's movies out there. Although there is the heavy subject matter of adoption, I found it to be portrayed with care and an attempt to understand. And as far as the villains are concerned, everything comes to be explained and repaired in a loving manner. Moreover, there is a thread of positive messages throughout that I found to be very moving and beautiful. I should add my child has a peanut allergy and I appreciate this site and the reviewer who gave us a heads up about the allergic reaction scene. Yes, it was alarming, and it did give us something to talk about afterwards, but somehow it made it better that the allergic reaction was on an adult, an epi-pen was immediately used, and the character was okay. And the name calling is said from the victim's point of view, and it's acknowledged how destructive this kind of language can be. I think this is a really great movie.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMom of 3 kids January 23, 2010

100% of parent reviews say this is too violent, yet csmedia recommends movie for young kids with no warnings about violence?

This movie was NOT what was billed on commonsensemedia, which said the movie was great for ages 5 +. Hello? NOT for my 5-year-old, who tends to be fairly resilient with scary movie images. But there was a Jurassic-Park-style dinosaur that morphed from the past and chased down the kids, trying to eat them? And surreal hats that tried to take over the world? Not to mention, the time-travel content was too hard for my kindergartener to follow, such that she really didn't understand the resolution at the end. VERY VERY disappointed in this website, to which we usually turn for recommendations for family movies. WHO was asleep at the wheel for this one? Seriously, a very bad recommendation; no longer trusting csmedia for help with movies.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byjoannab July 11, 2010

love it

We love this movie. The kid reminds us of our own 8-year old inventor, who just wants to be loved. Great show. Great music, a little intense in a few spots. The end makes us all cry, every time. I love how he finds the family that's just right for him.

Adult Written byTwoCrowsFlying April 9, 2008

A Little Too Gut Wrenching for a G-Rating

As An adult, I really liked this film. The writing was great the voice talents were great I loved the story line. However my six year old son was completely distraught during and for days after this film. Again we have the Disney Dilemma, always the parents are missing or more likely deceased. In this case it was all the more gut wrenching as the parent is seen leaving the baby on the doorstep of the orphanage! TWICE! My Son left the theater at the end of the movie sobbing.
I really think a PG rating would be a bit more appropriate than a G. And I wish Disney would let some parents live once in awhile.

Parent of an infant, 4, 6, and 6 year old Written byFowlerFan October 5, 2012

Good movie, but over most kid's heads

There were two areas of real concern for me as a parent with this movie. The langauge is still a bit off for 6 year olds ... "dumb, stupid, bozos" are the more common ones. Those aren't words I want to hear them say. Not very bad, but a little off. Generally phrases like, "I didn't you hear what I said, you idiot!", or, "... kept me up all night working on your stupid project."

The thing that got me the most was the scariness - and it was one scene. Near the very end when everyone on earth turns into a robot like worker, the earth goes dark, and looks polluted. I thought the scene was a little too intense. It didn't last long, maybe five minutes for that whole scenario, but enough that I thought it would bother my kids. The bowler hat guy himself, who people refer to - wasn't that bad. He was silly enough in parts that I think his scariness doesn't really count.

I always don't think most kids will understand the movie - the whole concept of time travel can be pretty complex.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bygrasley627 February 15, 2010

Scary Scene in Regard to Allergies

There is some scary parts but the kids enjoyed most of it. The biggest concern was scene in the beginning of the child going into anaphalactic shock was very scary for my child with a peanut allergy. She couldn't watch the rest until she calmed down and realized the character was okay. I wish there was a warning about this...Cloudy with Meatballs also has a scene toward the end that could be scary for allergic children.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byshanglen October 2, 2009

Not for little, kids who are sensitive to violence!

This had my 5yo in hysterics. I thought that a Disney rated G movie was safe - WRONG. Kids almost getting eaten by dinosaurs, hats that turn into spiders - yuck!

Adult Written byTonitonetony April 9, 2008

One of the latest greatest family movies

I loved this movie. My husband and I viewed it with our 3,5, and 7 year old children. It was a very nicely made family movie with a great theme that family should stick together and should protect each other. It is great to see a movie geared for children that is G rated free of language, sexual inuendos, and violence. In addition, not having to explain inappropriate material to the kids. I look forward to a Meet the Robinsons 2.

Parent Written byoweing September 4, 2011

Disney does right

Disney's first great 3d animation without Pixar.

Adult Written byhockey mommy April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie with a Great Message

We took our 7 year old to see this movie in 3D -- great fun! The movie had a wonderfully fun beginning, however the story became a bit confusing in the middle. The end of the movie was brilliant, tying up all the loose ends. My 7 year old understood the entire concept of the movie. This was a wonderful movie to see as a family, as there were no language issues other than typical playground talk. The animation was beautiful, and the movie's message was a good one..."keep moving forward" and it stressed the importance of family - unusual for today's Hollywood movies. I highly recommend this movie for all ages. However, children under age 5 may not understand the movie's message.

Adult Written bylndevine April 9, 2008

What a waste of Money and Talent....Boring!

It is a shame that so much talent and money went to waste on a movie with such a bad story. The Art Direction in this film is great, but the story is convoluted and muddled. And the villain was much too tragic and dark for any child under the age of 6. Disney should have put some money into writers....They are thanking their lucky stars that they have Pixar back....

Adult Written bycasongbird April 9, 2008

Adult Written bykjs213 April 9, 2008

Wow!

About time a kid's movie is released with near zero objectionable content! While I realize that a lot of adults like a little something for them in it (innuendo, jokes that go over the heads of most younger children, etc), I, for one, think it is refreshing to see a kid's movie who's sole purpose is to entertain and uplift a child. (When I want a movie for me, I'll go see one for me, sans children) Teens with "mature" tastes and adults may not care for kiddie nature of this movie, but I AM IMPRESSED!

Parent of a 7 year old Written bydjjwc April 9, 2008

Finally a cartoon that is rated G!

This movie is one of the now unfortunately rare cartoons that you can actually enjoy watching with young children. A big thanks goes out to the makers of the film for making a fun and entertaining movie that is actually appropriate for the audience at which it is aimed.

My six year old son loved the movie and the music. Some of the story line regarding the family in the future and the people in the current day went over his head this time. Since we think this movie is worth seeing again and would buy it on dvd, I am sure he will learn more with each viewing.

I had a great time watching this movie with my son. I am just so relieved to find a movie that isn't filled with negative behaviors, inappropriate language, excessive violonce and sexual innuendos that are aimed at getting the pg rating. Kids' cartoons should be rated G! Meet the Robinsons shows that a great movie for families can be rated G.

Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bybusy with 3 kids December 11, 2009

I am so glad I watched this before my kids did!!!! i was so offended by the negative message it portrays to adopted children.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

good movie

very scary

Adult Written byKCMom April 9, 2008

Abandoned isn't orphaned

As mother to an adopted child, I find films like this unsettling. I would not recommend it for younger adopted children. The orphanage model -- wherein a parade of prospective parents interview potential children who were abandoned by their birth parents -- makes it appear that children with winning personalities get to be loved. The rest grow up lonely. While there are pick-a-child orphanages in some parts of the world, here in the US we have a quite different system. When these plots (Oliver, Little Orphan Annie) are set in other times, one can explain it away, but set in today's age? No. Plus our young hero is not even an orphan; his obsession it to find his birthmother and claim the love he's been denied. While the plot has many charms, the film's beautifully made and the creative talent is top-notch, it's always hard on my family to have school friends start telling my kids you "came from an orphanage" and that "your mother didn't want you" when that is not at all the case. And for kids where it actually IS the case, it's even harder. I regret that Hollywood isn't more sensitive to the impact of this message on impressionable children.