Parent reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha Poster Image

The movie was better

Sadly, it doesn't often happen, but the movie was better in my eyes due to the lack of explicit sexuality. The book contained a severe amount of explicit sexual encounters and situations. (Then again, do you know what a geisha is???)
1 person found this helpful.

Beautiful Movie

Really emotional and amazing movie would highly recommend

Fantastic

I have seen a lot of bad reviews for this movie and I think they are wrong. This film is beautiful, the actors are amazing and it is one of my all time favourites. I wouldn't let my 7 year old watch it yet though, I think she'd appreciate it more in her teenage years.

Do not know why the book isn't on this site

The movie is rated PG -13 for a reason, I read the book when I was eleven years old and I got to the chapter where it is mentioned they check to see if the one girl lost her virginity and that's when I realized I probably should not be reading that book at that age. This is one of the view times I agree with the age restrictions set by the Motion Picture Association of America. 13 is a good age for this movie, maybe a little older, but definitely 13 is fine. But by all means read the book, it is a very good read, no matter the fact that this will culturally shock some people, it is a very good book.

Not good for most tweens

Memoirs of a Geisha is an interesting movie, but has sexual content (well, duh) that some might find disturbing. In one scene in particular near the beginning of the movie, it is implied that a geisha is having sex with a man off-screen. She is caught (because geisha are NOT supposed to have sex with someone they actually love!) and brought before a few other geisha by the lady in charge of the place. The lady in charge parts the skirt of the geisha who had been having sex and reaches into her crotch. No nudity is shown but it's very obvious. She sticks her finger in, and pulls it out, rubbing her fingers together in disgust with white goop stuck on them. (You can guess what it was.) There are a few other sex scenes, but those aren't too graphic. The most upsetting/disturbing scene for me, other than the one I mentioned a moment ago, is when it is implied that Sayuri is raped. It is a very uncomfortable, tense scene. Nothing is shown, but it's very well acted and upsetting.

a beautiful film!

This isn't a kid's film, so don't think about taking your little children. There's a few nude scenes, nothing really explicit, just enough to make you cover your kids' eyes. Adults will love this, though!

The Cinemotography Was Off the Hook...Only One Word Describes It..Beautiful

This movie was excellent, but was better suited for Adults. I wouldn't recommend this movie for children under the age of 16. Parents would be pressed to explain the Geisha's role and why they sell their virginity. The partial rape scene, bathing scene among adults and the violence of the children being beat would have young kids asking why, why, why??? This movie is more suited for a mature audience. Otherwise the scenes, costumes and writing was excellent and this movie provides a great glimpse into the Geisha's role in Japanese's culture.