Parent reviews for Minions: The Rise of Gru

Minions: The Rise of Gru Poster Image

Very well done and hilarious

Hilarious! Might just be better than the first "Despicable Me". My kids ranged from 5-11 and all loved it and laughed throughout. Most of the violence is hilarious, for humors sake until the end where the villains face off and turn into large animals which I didn't think was that scary, my 5 year old girl was fine during that. I am also very careful about what my kids watch and actually say no to a lot of kids movies these days, but I was very pleased that they made a great movie while leaving out bad language and taking the lord's name in vain. One of the villains is a nun with nunchucks so possibly Catholics would not care for that, but didn't think that was insulting Christianity as it is more trying to be a funny opposite of what you'd expect kind of character. To clarify others comments on nudity....a few minion bums and a hint of bum crack as gru is getting out of shower singing is definitely not in the same category as "nudity" found in other films.
13 people found this helpful.

More fighting then a typical minion movie.

I’m normally pretty strict on what I let me almost 5 year old watched. We seen The Rise of Gru on opening day. The movie okay not the best minion movie. This movie had more fighting/violence then any other minion movie. They also named called a bit calling people stupid and idiots. These are just things I would of liked to know in advance. There is also a scary part where the villains turn into monsters by daughter had her eyes closed during this.

11 people found this helpful.
This movie proves exactly what is wrong with our culture today. This movie literally celebrates evil. How do we as parents celebrate a young boy who wants to join an evil group of villains? The overall message of this movie is to chase evil, be evil, and choose and chase after an evil group of people to spend your life with. Better yet, start at the young age of eleven and have no moral compass. It made for good conversation with my children about exactly what is wrong with our world today. People blame weapons, try looking at what we’re teaching our children and what we celebrate as a culture.

10 people found this helpful.

The rise of Gru, the further decline of Hollywood

Horrible movie. No, really. I have never written a movie review, but I just watched this with my teenage son on July 4th, and all I have to say is Hollywood is in trouble. The message from the start was villains are good. Gru wants to grow up to be a Super Villain and then proceeds to become just that. The only good message was the unconditional love the minions show toward Gru. Another loud, violent, pointless movie. Nonetheless, my son really liked it.
7 people found this helpful.

Not a great message for kids

Biggest concern for me was seeing a nun as a "bad guy" using her "crucifix" as nunchucks. The overall message of this movie was to be a happy and successful "bad guy" living an immoral life. If you look beyond the "cuteness" of the minions, what is this movie really saying to our kids? I've seen some other parents shrug off the offensiveness of the nun thing as not something to get too upset about, but it's amazing to me that people are overlooking a hugely serious issue of lack of respect for others religion, and lack of morality in movies. It's time to wake up, parents. Look at the kids review on this movie, who are giving it high praises for merely a good laugh. Is this really what you want to teach your kids--simply for 90 minutes of laughing?? This is what you're teaching your kids, to not take things too seriously. And then parents wonder where they went wrong with their kids.

Kids will love it

Saw this with my 11year-old grandson. He thought it was great. It is completely daft but full of action and lots of cartoon violence. It keeps moving with plenty of juvenile laughs, great for the kids. Of no educational value whatever though terrific animation.

Cinematic Masterpiece

I went into this movie very skeptical about the quality. However, this work of art has shown me the light. Minions: Rise of Gru is without a doubt the best film I have seen in a while. The combination of classic 70s culture and the minion culture left the entire audience crying tears of joy. Ever since watching the movie I have spent every waking moment using the franchise as a Rosetta Stone to decipher the true universal language: Minionese. Minionese incorporates elements from many languages including French, English, Spanish, and German. This combined language is a perfect symbol of unity in a time where division is prevalent. The youth of today, often seen in baggy street wear, have become inspired by this movie’s morals and wore dress attire to the premier. Everything about this cinematic masterpiece gives me hope for the future of our country. This movie has very good positive messages and my kids walked out of the theater better people than when they entered. Never in my 25 years of teaching have I seen something that has such a big positive effect on children.

#gentleminions

This movie is amazing from the slapstick comedy to the emotional development, this is a gem. my “child” loves this movie, and the acting of the minions were the best I’ve seen in years.

2 people found this helpful.

An under-appreciated film with overseen educational value

Minions: Rise of Gru takes an unorthodox approach in order to teach and emphasize the value friendship, trust, dedication and hard work. To begin, Gru is first appears as a “loser”, he’s bullied at school for his dream of becoming a super villain and rejected by the vicious 6. Being a childrens movie, rise of gru omits the trauma Gru would encounter. Yet Gru is not phased, the passion he holds cannot be exhausted by challenge. When the opportunity arises, Gru takes the zodiac stone from the Vicious 6, sharing the importance of not giving up on a dream. While Gru is the main character, we all watch to see the minions in the most hysterical form. This is where I believe the movie teaches the audience the most. When Gru abandons his minions out of higher ambitions, the minions still have Gru’s back. Kevin, Stuart and Bob work tirelessly to save their “Mini Boss” and Otto shows the potential of mankind when working for someone you love, and developing a friendship along the way that proves the value of kind deeds. The film does have its flaws, while it may be more violent than previous minions movies, it comes with value that is second to none.

1 person found this helpful.
i love this movie i hope your kids love it to have a good time seeing the move bye
1 person found this helpful.