Parent reviews for Moxie

Moxie Poster Image

Amazing!

Moxie is probably one of the best feminist movies I've watched. The plot revolves around Vivian, who stands up to sexism at her high school, helping girls be heard and stand up to harassment. Of course, because of the themes, this movie is strictly PG-13. There is a lot of swearing, some drinking, and romance that parents of younger kids might be hesitant about. I rated this movie 12+, because I think that everyone should watch this - and not just high school girls. It's important to learn about these kinds of things so when you have to deal with them, you know how to. In the end, I give this movie 5/5 in positive messages, and defiantly 5/5 for positive role models.

2 people found this helpful.
The feminist critique of the gender dynamics in a co-ed high school was powerful, and the empowerment of the students who wanted to change things was inspiring. It wasn't very nuanced, but appropriately didactic for the intended audience. The antagonist, the bullying captain of the football team, was portrayed within the school community as a hero and as harmless "if you just keep your head down" - and his bullying and aggression were being minimised by staff and students. Lucy spoke up that he is not harmless, he is dangerous, which played out to be the truth. It gives a perfect way to discuss how behaviours like this can escalate when they are consistently got away with. The strong diverse cast was inspiring. The lead character, Vivian, didn't always get it right and made some stupid mistakes in her attempt to make change. I recommended 14+ as the car scene is not just kissing, it's an intensely emotional make out session in the back seat of the car and there are references in the scene as well as later scenes to them having sex. My 13 year old doesn't like this sort of content and neither do their friends. Vivian also came home drunk - drinking in response to a bad situation and vomiting. There is a lot of language that is used to sexualise and demean women, including in the football team's list that they publish online, where they judge the bodies and sexual availability of the female identifying students (most bangable, best [email protected], best rack,...) Much of this is not language or attitudes that an under 14 year old should be familiar with, and neither should they need to be.

One of my favorites

If I could give this ten stars I would. Kids are not naïve and we should recognize that so including underaged drinking and profanity is appropriate to the age. However, these and other sensitive topics are covered responsibly and people are held accountable for their actions. The boyfriend is supportive and respectful, men are shown in both in opposition and support of their efforts. Amy channels me as a mom as she says the things I say to my 14yo! There is NOTHING I didn’t like about this movie and my daughter loved it as well.

Well Done!

As usual another fantastic movie from Netflix. Amy Poehler is a great actress and director. Great movie to watch with your teens or even just a group of adults.

Empowering and important movie

Wow! Eye Opening Experience!!

I highly highly recommend this movie. We watched it as a family and aside from the kissing scene in the car, my 12 year old daughter described the movie in two perfect words! "Inspiring and empowering!! We appreciated how Amy Poehlar handled a multitude of complex topics in one simple, clear and relatable story. We need to see more movies like this to helps us understand and appreciate our ethnicities and backgrounds better.

Diverse Feminist Movie

This is a wonderful movie and is super diverse! Many of the supporting characters are black girls and there is a supporting character who happens to be trans! Overall, there is a few iffy moments where the main character is quite rude to her mom and boyfriend, but as long as you let your child know this isn't okay it'll be fine. There is also a small message implying that almost all men are rude, but you need to show your child that men can be kind and can even be feminists (a good example of this to point out to them is how Seth is kind and cares about women's rights). One last thing is that there is strong mention and scenes of sexual harassment and this can be a trigger to many children, so keep this in mind if you decide do to watch this. Overall this is a great movie with overall great themes as long as you explain that some themes and scenes are not right.