Parent reviews for No Country for Old Men

No Country for Old Men Poster Image

Terrific film has incredibly realistic violence

No Country for Old Men is a very symbolic and differential film from others, however it is extremely violent. VIOLENCE: At the beginning, a man is strangled with metal hand cuffs violently for a very extended time. They drop the floor, the man still strangling the other, until eventually the cuffs cut into his neck and blood sprays out all over the floor and on his body. This is a very gruesome scene. One of the killers signature weapons is a captive bolt stunner, or a bolt gun. In one scene he lifts it up to a mans head and shoots him with it up close in screen, causing blood to come out and a bloody hole to appear on his head. This scene, like most other violent acts in the film is very in your face and graphic. A man discovers many dead bodies showing graphic wounds, blood all over the ground etc. and he discovers one man alive with bloody wounds begging for water as blood pours from his mouth. 2 men are suddenly shot, one in the face on screen (extremely sudden) the act is quite bloody. Several men are shot with a suppressed shotgun. The first man is shot from a distance, and his arm is shot which causes his arm to hang off like a thread briefly and he is shot again splattering blood and killing him. The next man is shot in the bathroom killing him and spraying blood again, and the third surrenders, but the killer pulls the shower curtain over and shoots it so we don’t see he impact but only blood from the other side. A man is shot once through the neck pouring blood and then another in the head suddenly causing more blood. It is also referenced someone is killed off camera. A man shoots another man, but doesn’t kill him. We see the aftermath of a massive wound over his leg (skin almost completely off) and he treats it with tons of blood shown, however the man creepily enjoys it. He is shown pouring things in it, injecting it etc. A man is suddenly shotgunned, however the impact is barely shown as its cut from camera view. A man is shot with a shotgun and falls off his chair when we see him on the ground gargling as blood pours from his neck for an extended period of time. Very bloody. Several people are implied dead throughout the entire movie, so it’s up to the imagination of the people watching a lot of times. A ton of people are shown dead, one man is shown floating dead in the pool surrounded by bloody water, and another man dead on the motel floor disturbingly. A man suddenly crashes his car, he exits covered in bloody face wounds and then his broken leg is shown with bone exposed sticking out of the leg. 2 kids help and he walks away. Overall this is a very violent film. LANGUAGE: Around 2 uses of f*ck, some use of b*tch. Overall the language is mild. DRUGS/ALCOHOL/TOBACCO USE: Packaged drugs are shown in the back of a vehicle, people smoke, drink etc. OVERALL: 13+

1 person found this helpful.

Mansiondamansion

Mansiondamansion

1 person found this helpful.

Violent and Realistic

Violence 8/10. Lots of shooting and blood. Some more extreme examples include arm being shot and briefly shown hanging off and a man choking a man with handcuffs, resulting in his throat being cut open. The main antagonist is a psychopath with no empathy. Sex 1/10. Mild references. Language 7/10. A good amount of strong language throughout.

The Coen’s most graphic, unrelenting and mature film. There’s no comedy, the violence is realistic and in spades, and the ending is one of the most depressing I’ve ever seen. That being said, between the performances, cinematography and the general realism of it, it’s also a must-watch. Just know it’s bloody, depressing and bleak.

Beautiful and thought provoking -- if dread inducing

One good way to judge if your children are ready for this is to ask yourself if they are ready to watch a horror flic such as Alien or The Shining. It is that intense, a sublime experience of the wasteland. You could also ask if you are ready to have repeated conversations with your children about the mindless violence they are likely absorbing thanks to mass media news and entertainment. I do not say that to condemn the violence in this film in any way... I find No Country for Old Men family friendly as compared to others by the Coens: far from glorifying the escalating violence of our day and age, it asks if we have any capacity left to be sensitive to it, if we might find some flicker of humanity by which to protest being treated like livestock fit for slaughter. In that regard, it is an antidote to the lifetime of indoctrination your children most certainly face. Plus it is down right thrilling. It is not for everybody's family. But I do not find it ok to sit my children down to watch epic sci-fi, martial arts, or crime movies with their slick, high flying battle scenes, without also sitting them down to watch more intimate depictions of the nature of violence. Epic meditations on finitude and indifferent chaos, doomed actions and useless passions, pledges of allegiance shot through with bad faith, etc., all have a place in my kids' world. I might be weird like that, but my eleven year old called this movie, "Creepy. One of those movies you hate to love." My kids know that every so often dad has his say when it comes to movie time, and they expect to be introduced to the greats. If nothing else, when they are young adults they will be far more discerning consumers for having put up with me.

Complex story, with deep philosophical questions.

There are plenty of other action / westerns out there that don't come loaded with the philosophical questions presented in this movie.

Good movie, not for younger children

I liked the movie, saw it with my husband. Very good story line, lots of violence, not recommended for younger children, older children could go and see it if they want a good movie to watch