Parent reviews for Okja

Okja Poster Image

It's very good but the animal cruelty parts feel too real and are quite upsetting

Oh geez...what a film...the young star fits all of the requirements of a young and petite and Korean young peasant girl that lives in the mountains. Everyone plays their parts well. Swinton is of course commanding and Gyllenhaal appears to do what he is supposed to do and I am not sure that is enough. But that feels like it is more an issue of the writing than the performance although everyone goes ALL IN. As for Okja, I found that I was convinced he was real and the animal cruelty sounds are pretty horrific. This film reminded me of Snowpiercer and its moments of let down were similar. That is still an endorsement, I'm just saying it's not like Parasite.

What the heck was that??

My 15-year-old son watched this movie for a school assignment. Since he's doing school at home, I watched with him. What the heck? This is a very violent movie, from the beatings during the parade to the previously mentioned pig rape scene, to the meat production line. Lots and lots of f-bombs. We both asked, who is the intended audience for this film? I'm into unusual movies, but this was not something I would recommend to anyone.

Tells about the greed of the Meat industry

This film educates people on greed, and animal welfare, it is an accurate description of how our society mistreats animals. It has great messages and role models, trying desperately to do the right thing and fighting for justice. There is some punching, hitting, mild blood, and shock prods. Nothing too graphic but it is all used in a way making it sad and meaningful. The biggest issue is probably the language, with around 30-40 F bombs, a bit more than expected some even seeming unnecessary. Overall this film educates others about important issues, and should be viewed by many.

Appalling

When this movie first came out it was rated PG. I now see it has progressed to a higher age group viewing. As an adult, and an educator, this movie had me in tears and looking away most of the time. It is appalling that movie was even allowed to be viewed. It is disgusting and makes humour on the grounds of animal punishment. I am baffled how this movie even was aired at all.

The film is designed in a way to make you attached to Okja and Mija (the two protagonists) for the first parts of the film as it follows Mija's journey of trying to save Okja from her fate but as it progresses it shows just how much that the writer had made you fall in love with the characters as it shows a forced rape scene involving Okja and another super pig which is distressing for many people who have seen the film and also shows lots of other forms of animal cruelty and also how people can be affected by alcohol but overall it is a good film to watch with children above the age of 12 as they will most likely have had sex education and will not be too shocked by the graphic scenes in this film

Movie with a positive message

Most reviews say it is too gory or violent for kids, but honestly I didn’t think it was. My youngest is my son, who is ten and a half, my oldest is 16, and nobody was traumatised by it. My son has a penchant for horror even though he gets scared by it, and I’ve seen him get a bit scared watching the Poltergeist, and Sleepy Hollow was a bit too gory for him in some parts, but this one is nowhere near those in terms of “horror”/violence. What this movie has is a good plot, good pacing, entertaining, with the underlying message very cleverly-weaved into the storyline without being preachy or trying too hard to convert people. I would say though that if you’re a meat lover, this movie probably won’t change that very much. My son was not sad at the ending. He said it’s a slaughterhouse and that’s just how it is, to supply meat to us.. However my daughter (who has always been an animal lover and also quite picky about food textures and flavours, hence never really enjoyed meat) did feel sad at the ending for all the animals going to be slaughtered. I’m kind of in-between, not really a meat lover but I will eat it sometimes, but always in small amounts only as I prefer the taste of vegetables... for me I found some of the scenes really drove home to me how gross it is to eat an animal. It also touches on the issue of there not being enough food (especially not meat) to feed the world’s population and indeed does bear thinking about. On the whole, it’s a really enjoyable and at times fun movie. I’d recommend it. If you have more sensitive children, then I would wait till they’re a little older. If you have children who aren’t familiar with the realities of how animals come to our dinner plate from farm to fork, then yes your kids might be in for a bit of a shock. My kids have watched a fair few documentaries about the farming industry, environmental and animal rights concerns etc. so none of the slaughterhouse cruelty was new to them. I’ll say that I do find the forced mating scene in the movie a bit overdramatised because in nature it isn’t unusual for animals (even adorable dolphins) to forcibly mate (or rape, if you want to call it that) each other, but yes I get that for this movie and its underlying message, the scene was put for emotional effect as the movie does very cleverly weave the main animal character into our hearts, makes us care for it, and feel pain for it. The main human characters are also well-acted and very convincing. Jake Gyllenhaal was probably, in my view, the weakest actor in it all. I’ve seen him act better in other movies though. I thought his role here was a bit out of place for him. There is also a fair bit of swearing and drinking so again, you’d have to use your own discretion regarding that. All in all, I think it’s a great movie with a good message, and if you show it to kids, it might just influence them to eat a little less meat.

Beautiful film but childish in meaning and lacks common sense

The idea is ok i guess, but the GMO super pig is the only thing that seems to be the most natural in the whole film. The plot has a lot of holes (more like a propaganda for PETA than a meaningful story about humanity and friendship). The director lacks a lot of research and common sense in farming, business, science and cultures. First and foremost, a pig that poops a lot and takes 10 years to raise is not productive nor eco-friendly, not to mention it LOOKS cute and genetically modified enough I doubt the Western consumers have enough guts to consume it. Turn off your common sense and active your vegan instinct to enjoy this show whole heartedly. If you have a little knowledge of how farming and business in Asia work, you would be slightly pissed off and amused at the same time

5.5.8 (18/30)

Okja is a 2017 adventure film that received positive reviews from critics and audiences alike. It is rated 15 for strong language. PARENTS SECTION: Sex/nudity: (5/10) There is a rape scene which brings the sex rating up to 5, but there are no other sexual scenes or references (apart from a woman saying a girl is sexy). Violence/gore: (5/10) Some bloody images, such as meat being cut into pieces and a little girl having a black eye and a bloody injury. Language: (8/10) There are 28 f-words and 5 s-words. A use of bitch. REVIEW: Okja is unbearable. I couldn’t find any way to enjoy it. It was horrible. I am sorry for a very short review.

Not a family movie!!!

It’s hard to say “great movie” bc of the horrific violence and cruelty towards animals but as an adult you understand the message. Definitely not for kids as other sites sadly tell you. Made the mistake watching with my 10yr old who luckily didn’t understand the rape scene but understood enough of the other stuff I had to make up that the sequel (isn’t one) will show all the animals being saved in the morning...

Watch with younger teens

The reality is the commercial meat production in the US is extremely inhumane--to both the animals and meat industry workers. That's an issue that those of us who eat meat should genuinely be concerned about, and teenagers are certainly old enough to understand and talk about the issues. That said, the movie has some very tense scenes, and the ending is hard to watch, so parents will want to watch it with their younger teens. I didn't find the language problematic, and I thought the actions of the animal rights activists were a useful opportunity to talk about character motivations and the way people behave in real life. I would say watch the movie for the important issues it raises, and be prepared for the possibility that your kids will want to know if the meat you're buying was humanely raised.