Kid reviews for Okja

Okja Poster Image

Best Movie Ever

This movie shows all the cruelty faced by animals in slaughterhouses. This movie has been totally overated by Netflix. TV-MA is totally way to much and TV-14 is the correct rating. Parents Caution: Some Swearings and many animal torture scenes

Okja: A Necessary but Hard Watch

This film is an amazing critique of capitalism and animal cruelty. It is a gripping adventure that deals with many ethical issues. It is important to watch to raise awareness for animal cruelty, although it's not that easy. In the later part of the film, it shows the superpigs being hurt, and shows one being cut in half (already dead). This results in some blood, although injury detail is limited. There is some human-on-human violence too, but that is just fistfights (although one, partially shown, is quite extreme). There is a lot of swearing (f**k, sh*t, b*tch), and I imagine that that is the main reason for the 15+ age rating in the UK, stopping it from being 12+. I said 11 and up, because as much as it might be a little disturbing, kids of my age and younger can handle it, and it carries a necessary and important message. Maybe, if you really want them to get something from it, you can mention the themes to your kids afterwards if you watched it together.

Surprisingly violent but very real film.

This film may seem like a family friendly movie about a girl and her pig facing against corporations, but it has some intense violence in a few scenes. There is a scene where a man gets kicked in the head multiple times in an almost completely silent scene, and nobody says or does anything to stop it. There is also a scene with a riot, and some blood is shown on faces but nothing too bad. There is also a lot of realistic disturbing scenes. There are depictions of slaughterhouses, animal abuse, and torture throughout the movie. Although, the core message of this movie is great, and it teaches children/teens about greedy/immoral companies. Best for teens 13-14 to watch this movie with their parents if needed.

Disappointed with some of the parent reviews. This is NOT a movie for children!

Of course this movie is not intended for children. Did you not see the TV-MA rating (or even read CSM’s review)? If you had younger children with you or thought your kids were the intended audience, you should’ve turned the television off at the dropping of the first f-bomb (which is literally within the first 10 minutes!). To be fair, though, reading the review would spoil the movie (but not the 4/5 language AND violence tallies which also could’ve miraculously steered you away from showing your kids this film). Disappointment aside, Bong Joon-ho has done it again. Yes, it is true that I have watched Parasite but I was aware of this movie long before having interest in the much-deserved Best Picture winner. While I have found the level of violence (and certainly scariness) to be higher in Parasite, Okja’s intensity (but also enjoyable humor) stands out on its own. After the arguably more pleasant first scenes, the rest of the plot captured my full attention and I was barely aware of my surroundings. Again (parents, looking at you!), this is not a movie for children and CSM puts it right: despite the positive messages and centering around a young girl and her pet super pig, violence is disturbing (animal lovers, I hope you got a strong stomach), peril is rampant (almost every character on the side of good ends up in serious danger at least once and don’t get me started on Mija) and language is frequent (there’s numerous f-words and other swears in BOTH English and Korean). The ensemble is brilliant but the standouts are clearly Tilda Swinton (who, as CSM says, gives dual performances), Jake Gyllenhaal (wildly eccentric, fun and eventually disturbing) and of course, the young Ahn Seo-hyun, flawless, compelling and effortlessly believable as our heroine, Mija. Credit of course should be given to Bong Joon-ho and his wonderful crew and co-creators, who once again crafted a beautiful story; I single out the visual effects (the super pigs look great!), cinematography, production team (they outside themselves by choosing perfect locations) and the set designers. I must end by mentioning a brilliant comparison CSM made between Okja and fairy tales. Mija really is the “prince,” Okja the “princess/damsel in distress” and the Mirando twins the “dragon.” Spot on, Miss (or Mrs.) Schonfeld! And it’s an interesting take/reversal on roles, don’t you think?

Boon joon ho has done it again

This movie is beautiful, moving, thought provoking, emotionally engaging, and a brilliant satire on capitalism today. Your pulse truly sinks up with mija’s throughout the course of the movie and it’s imaginary stays in your mind long after the credits role. As for how appropriate it, there is quite a bit of violence throughout the second half, and very dark themes of animal cruelty as well as greed. The characters are deeply flawed and most are very desensitized to violence towards animals. The ALF works hard to protect animals but uses questionable methods to do so, which could bring an insightful conversation on how far can one go before they are inflicting the pain they were trying to stop. Main character Mija is loving and caring towards okja and works tirelessly to bring her back. From police brutality to the inner workings of a factory farming I wouldn’t show this to a child under 11 but 13+ may be a good idea. All in all it’s a great movie and I doubt you’ll look at a sausage the same way again...

please read

***SPOILERS*** Hi. This is my first review and I made an account so i could warn other families about this movie. First off, I watched this when I was way too young. The trailer portrayed a girl and her pig being friends but she has to go on a journey to get the pig back. Yes; that´s what the movie is about but there is so much more to it. There is so much cussing (i dont mean like hell or damn i mean like lots of f-bombs), lots of violence, and an unnecessary rape scene. This movie really does show what goes on behind the scenes of getting your bacon but I think it does go a little over the edge for it. There are some really disturbing scenes, too. The movie itself was okay but there was just lots that made it not okay. I do not recommend this movie for anyone under the age of 13 because I watched this when I was 10 and I still think about it today; but not in a good way. Mature 15 year olds and up.

Must watch!!!!!

I just recently viewed Okja, and yes it made me tear up, but you must view this. The movie views mild gore and pretty light cussing. I can't stand people who are fussing over the movie saying it shouldn't be viewed at all especially for children, but people need to stop blocking children from the truth, this is real, animal abuse is real! I think it's only fair for all ages to know how the food on their plate came to be. Absolutely beautiful message, incredible acting, and amazing overall story. Parents, stop fussing over the language, I'm pretty sure if your kid goes to school, they've heard a thing or two. Definitely recommend!

Very upsetting but important viewing

I watched this when I was like, 10 and it really upset me bcs I'm a bit of a wimp but it is an important and emotional film, if perhaps a tad unrealistic in its exaggerated cruelty, particularly in the mating scene. You need to watch this film and yes it will haunt you for weeks but the concepts and message behind it is eye opening.

READ THIS REVIEW

I watched this film last year now and it turned me a vegetarian when I found out it was true after I did I thought EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE FORCED TO WARCH THIS FILM AND THIS FILM IS TAME TO REAL LIFE in the film there humanely killed by bolt guns in real life Usually by having throat slit hung upside down and well rather not say that one and Evan skinned alive and no meat no matter what country that meat that cow,pig,lamb and chicken has gone through TORTURE AND ABSOLOUTE HELL

All right so there is a lot of scenes with the f word but let's be honest this word is not foreign to kids. Don't be overly sensetive. This movie shows really well how animals are treated. Animals are forced to pair with each other and are getting shocked. They are horribly treated and kids need to see this. They are eating animals and should know how the cute sheep from the field is ending up on their plate.