Parent reviews for Over the Moon

Over the Moon Poster Image

Not for literal kids

Lovely film. However, my 6 year old daughter cried for hours after watching this. She then cried randomly for weeks after to the point, even school spoke to me about it. They explained she would break down into tears saying "mum is dead and she's not coming back" the school thought she was talking about me. This wasn't one we would have let our little one watch. However, nan (who lives with us) didn't know anything about the.movie and just decided on that one when having a movie day with my daughter.

2 people found this helpful.

Death & grief are the pervasive themes.

Short answer: It’s about grief. There’s a lot of death. Be prepared to cry. Be prepared for your kids to cry. And have trouble sleeping being afraid of death. Full review: Lots of death, a chamber of sadness. The whole thing was about how to deal with grief. It was just too heavy for a Friday night and definitely not good before bed. Kids ages 7 and 14 and we let my 14 Year old finish it without the 7 year old because it was just too much.

Be prepared to cry

Sat and watched this with my 5 (nearly six) year old. Great story to talk about grief and letting out emotions. Absolutely tugs at the heart strings. Beautiful animation and music. I was crying about 10 mins in but she didn’t start crying until nearer the end. We talked about the story afterwards and what bit made us cry. There’s not really any scary bits in it so would be fine for younger kids, they wouldn’t understand the story though. Older kids, use your judgement. If your little one can express themselves, this is a great movie to talk about big feelings.

Mostly great

My 2 and 6 year olds loved this movie. The sensitive 6 year old was freaked out a few times, but the 2 year old handled the action/scary scenes like a champ. I loved the scenes in China and the incorporation of Chinese culture and the moon festival. I also loved how the main character builds herself a space ship. However, the scenes on the moon took the whole movie in a weird and less impressive direction. Compared to the first 40 minutes of the movie, they seemed low production value, just really bright neon colors and blobby shapes. I also didn’t like how the animators chose to make the character on the moon a hyper-sexualized modern pop star. Everything on the moon just seemed at odds with how sweet and well designed the plot and characters were in the China scenes. Even the plot on the moon became too wacky, seemingly without reason. In the end, Im still glad we watched it, and my kids got good messages about perseverance and sibling understanding, but the moon parts were the low point.

Definitely not worth watching

My son thought it was gross and some characters are really annoying. This movie is aimed for younger kids. My 10 year old daughter thought it was gross and the songs are not written well. Over all the story idea was good but they need to fix it and some seems just lose you. Any kids over 10 would probably not like it. Some teens are just weird and some characters are overdone. But if your kid likes the moon and strong role models this is the movie for you

Fun movie with a fresh perspective

Over the Moon is brimming with great music, fun characters and a poignant story. My kids loved the music and characters. As soon as the movie ended, they wanted to learn about Chinese mythology and other aspects of Chinese culture. This is a movie that jump starts learning and conversation for the whole family.

Lovely film that deals with emotional subjects

Such a beautiful film. I think it deals with emotional turmoil in a child friendly way. My 6 year old loves the movie and understood it all. It is nice to see subjects such as a loss of parent or gaining step parents in a children's movie, im sure there are lots of children who can relate

I am over the moon!

After waiting a year since Saberspark talked about this in his 2020 cartoon talk this is my favorite of the year. Lots of fun, a look at Chinese culture, emotions, songs in many genres and overwhelming score and animation. In violence some scenes could scare kids, and some bunny romace. If it was not for the Covid19 this would had been a Worldwide Blockbuster, but stream this with your nerdy family that loves sci fi and Eastern culture.