All parent member reviews for Oz the Great and Powerful

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMommyBKnowsBest March 8, 2013

Great for Date Night, leave the Kiddos at home

In my opinion I don’t think this movie is a family-friendly movie, especially if you have small children. There were a few “scary” parts in the movie including the witch’s minions who reminded me of huge, rabid gorillas, the witches themselves {excluding Glinda of course}, some scenes that involve people being hurt, and my children would have even been afraid of the tornado. We are very selective in what our 2 and 5 year old watch and they are also children who are sensitive to villains and “bad things” happening in movies.

I tried to think about what age range my girls would have to be for me to show them this movie, and I thought 10-12 years old, depending on their maturity would be the lowest age.

Parent Written byShivom Oza March 7, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Ordinary and Weak

‘Oz the Great and Powerful’, which is a prequel to L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, and also an unofficial prequel to the 1939 film ‘The Wizard of Oz’, is about a small-time magician, Oscar Diggs/Wizard of Oz, who arrives in an enchanted land and is expected to save it from the ‘wicked’ witches.

The supposedly ‘great’ and ‘powerful’ turns out to be ordinary and weak. The film begins on a promising note, with charming black and white visuals, witty dialogue writing and a nice setting of the basic premise. However, the film soon finds itself in a quandary, owing to its duration (2 hours 10 minutes).

Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with a dubious reputation, is hurled away in a hot air balloon from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz.

At this enchanted land, he encounters three witches Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams). As the lone hope of the trouble-struck people of Oz, Oscar, the newly anointed Wizard must find out who is good and who is evil before time runs out.

The film has brilliant visuals. The way the transformation from the black and white visuals of Kansas to the vibrant ‘Land of Oz’ takes place, is highly praiseworthy. The performances are not quite top-notch. At times, the lead actors do end up looking a bit like caricatures. The biggest let-down of the film is the sluggish screenplay. The 3D too, flatters to deceive. Even kids may not find this fare too entertaining.

The film doesn’t live up to its name!

Shivom Oza

Parent of a 3 year old Written bypuppupspapa March 8, 2013

too frightening for toddlers

My 3 year old son who loves the original movie got very frightened by this new movie. We took him and had to leave the theater mid way through. The new monkeys are a steroided version of the original monkeys. What was scary? The movie has quick startling scenes placed in a foggy darkness that looks like a graveyard where things jump out at you with eerie music playing and loud explosive sound effects. Scenes designed to startle and shock you similar to a horror film. Other uncomfortable visual effects as well such as dangerous looking plants biting at you in a warped first person perspective

Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byaliric March 8, 2013

Very enjoyable as a modern day family movie if you don't compare it to original!

If you're not trying to compare it to the original I think it was very entertaining! I would be more inclined to compare it to Enchanted. I have almost 10 year old boy/girl twins who loved it! I am usually conservative when it comes to violence and felt that this was more fantasy violence that this age group can discern between more realistic violence. Humor for the adults made it even more enjoyable. I particularly liked the china doll as every parent can identify dealing with sassy independence one moment, then a clingy or loving child the next. We really liked it and felt if was so much better than all the movies with the potty humor these days!

Parent Written byLSU Mom March 9, 2013

Another Instant Classic

Great family movie with a modicum of violence, mostly natural (tornado).

The original Wizard of Oz was written by Frank Baum at the turn of the 20th century to relate a complicated series of political events to children on a level they could understand. When it was made into a movie in the 30s, it was embraced as an instant classic. I'm not sure it's fair to compare the original with this prequel (or with "Wicked") as apples to apples. After being exposed to "Wicked" (which provides detail of the witches' lives prior to "The Wizard of Oz") I frankly think this latest effort is much more true to the original's intent of catering to children.

Oz the Great and Powerful lovingly fills in gaps and illuminates features of the original without being condescending or age-inappropriate. The 30s' movie adaptation was also considered a bit frightening for its time, and Oz follows that pattern.

Oz is as faithful in feel, story, and character to Frank Baum's original vision
as any effort could have been, and it deserves to also become a classic.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy March 10, 2013

Beautiful and magical... a classic, for sure!

My husband and I took our six year old to see this tonight in 3D and we all loved it. I don't know about the 2D version, but the 3D version was so beautiful it took my breath a few times. There were three or four times that my son jumped or hid his face, but since it is a new movie I won't give any details. While it isn't really scary, it is very dramatic in some parts and it took my son by surprise on several occasions. There were a couple of times I thought that Mila Kunis could have had more clothes on top, but I don't think it would be too obvious to a child. I do recall hearing "da*n" once, maybe twice, but nothing more serious than that. The entire cast did a wonderful job here but Finly the monkey and China Girl will win your heart for sure, and Michelle Williams really stood out in her roles as Annie/Glinda.. Overall this movie was a positive one that we will probably return to the theater to see again and will certainly be adding to our blu-ray collection! I recommend seeing it in 3D, it really is spectacular.

Parent of a 9, 9, and 15 year old Written byginaanita March 13, 2013

Oz can't "keep it in his pants"- definitely not for our kids!

This is a horrible movie that is not for kids. Oz, our "hero" is a shallow womanizer- what an embarrassment. The wicked witch turns wicked because Oz sleeps with her sister!!!!! I am dumbfounded! Can Hollywood not come up with a good reason for a man to want to be a better man? Or a witch to be evil? Are we all out of good story lines that our kids can look up to? Do NOT take your kids to this boring embarrassment of a movie.

Parent Written byDan G. March 12, 2013

Intense situations and sexual theme make this for older children

A fairly good movie, but a few unacceptable things make it a non-family movie for younger children.

1. The main character is a user and abuser of women. He constantly seduces women and then leaves them, all as part of his lifestyle. His accidental departure from Kansas is the result of him running from one of these situations.

2. This movie is more frightening than the original. Special effects have come a long way. The evil characters can be quite scary for young children.

3. Some mild language, like 'Oh, God'. When God doesn't seem to be the person they are really addressing.

Parent Written bydrrandy March 16, 2013

ADULT THEMES, NOT FOR KIDS!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, though some of the acting (esp. Franco's) was a bit stiff. However, I DO NOT see this as a kid's movie. It has some VERY adult themes involving sexuality, betrayal, duplicity. As for the age, it will vary based on how mature your child is. I don't think I will take my 12 yo daughter to see it but many 12 yo's will handle it...
I have not seen any of the other reviewers mention what I think is the most disturbing and frightening aspect of this film. HERE COMES A BIG SPOILER ALERT, so PLEASE DO NOT READ if you have not seen this yet and don't want very key plot elements ruined for you: someone who is the embodiment of goodness who the kids will love transforms into the embodiment of evil ( a bit like Anakin Skywalker's transformation to Darth Vader, but you are well-prepared for that by the time it happens and already know of his eventual reformation). Yes, the visual depiction of her transformation is pretty darn scary, but it is the actual fact of her transformation that is the scariest aspect. I think this will be psychologically very disturbing for many children- heck, it still disturbs me. So the happy ending is not fully happy because something tragic has occurred....

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySymezcat March 18, 2013

Talk to your kid before they watch

My daughter, age 6, was going to see this with her camp on march break. I read these reviews and got a little worried. I spoke to my daughter about the movie in detail and showed her the review on this site that talked about the scary parts. She was then ready and felt ok with the movie. After she saw it, she said it wasn't very scary, and believe me, she gets scared. Preparing her for the movie ahead of time worked well and the only part she was not so keen on was the fire stuff. So my suggestion for if you have a younger viewer, talk to them about it first, so they can prep for it and discuss their feelings after wards.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bynyc-mom March 17, 2013

We Loved this Movie!!

My near four year old cried because the ending was so touching. My son, 6, thought this movie was far better than the original. My husband and I could not agree more. We watched the original together before watching Oz the Great and Powerful. We were absolutely captivated and transported into this prequel right from the beginning. We loved how imagery and icons from the original were expertly weaved into this prequel. The Wizard was perfectly casted especially with the original in mind for juxtaposition. In the original, you knew there was something off and artificial about the Wizard and in the prequel they brought that to life. The three witches and not knowing who was good and who was bad added for a nice twist in the beginning and kept you wondering about a redemptive moment in the end. The acting was solid no breaks and very well written. We loved this movie and hope there will be more to discover in future prequels and maybe even a sequel.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bySGDad March 11, 2013

Nothing Great about Oz the great and powerful...honestly nothing.

The film never gets moving, its slow to start and doesn't pick up speed. Your kids might enjoy some of the colorful imagery, but parents will soon be asleep. I've seen so many of kids movies with little ones, and this was nearly at the bottom of the pile for entertainment value. The special effects AREN"T great, regardless of what others have said, James Franco puts on a meager performance (far less than he is capable of), Mila Kunis is a terrible actress. Not once did she capture mind share in this film. Only Michelle Williams performance was palatable. I wanted to love this film and kept waiting for that one moment that made it all worth while. When the credits began to roll, I was still waiting...but thankful to be able to leave the theater.

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg March 15, 2013

Harmless Fun worse than the Classic and No Good Messages

me and my friend ( we are both twelve) went to go watch this the other weekend. This version is scarier than the classic version of the Wizard of Oz and I agree that it is less magical. I am also not warming up to the idea that Dorothy is a grown up male. WHYYY?????? Also, I do not agree on GOOD ROLE MODELS because my teacher pointed out at school how that the only lesson this movie teaches you is that it is OK to lie and you will still have a happy ending!

Parent Written bymrsvirgilio March 24, 2013

I'd rather see the original. Too much to little children.

Little kids were screaming in terror in the theatre. This is too scary for small children. The parents with screaming kids had to take the children out of the theatre they were so scared but then they would bring the kids back in and then they would be scared and screaming again. The movie should not be compared to the original. Does Oz have to be a player with women? Could he just be a con man and leave the sexuality out of it? The movie is fine for adults but not for kids. If the evil was toned down and sexuality left out of it. It could have been a family movie.

Adult Written bychristian2011 March 10, 2013

Highly predictable plot, bland and dull characters. Very disappointing. Don't bother paying to see this movie.

This movie based and influenced from the 1939 original Wizard of Oz is definitely a disappointment for me. The character's personality and dialogue was very bland, the plot was dull and highly predictable, the acting was mediocre at best, and the ending didn't make sense to me. The visuals and special effects are great, but the character acting, plot and storyline didn't make the cut. I thought it was going to be a new, fresh and fun sequel to the original, but it was no where near as good as Victor Fleming's Wizard of Oz. It's more of a 1 to 2 day rental than a theater go to.

Adult Written bydarthsitkur March 21, 2013

great movie :)

oz the great and powerful was awesome, it was a great mix of action, humor, suspense, and cool special effects, anyone who likes fantasy flicks will enjoy this one, and the flying monkeys looked crazed this time lol

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bylititzmom March 17, 2013

Ok, But Not a Must-See Movie

My kids, 9 & 11, generally enjoyed this movie as an adventure/thriller. They did comment on a few "d*&ns" uttered, which I missed. I watched it because, well, I loved the Wizard of Oz. My 9 year old was very scared of the flying beasts (more scary than what many reviews refer to as mere "gorillas") but just covered her ears and shut her eyes after a while. The story was clever and worked nicely as a prequel. The b&w filming was nice, but when they 1st landed in Oz? Weirdly disappointing... seemed like a B movie. Slow, boring & badly acted till they got to the Emerald City and the story--and acting--picked up. All in all, a decent, but not great movie. Ending was good and redeeming.
Overall, this movie is NOT for young kids--in the screening we attended, several children cried and begged to leave once the flying monsters descended, and those remaining in theater when one witch transformed into pure evil completely lost it then...

Parent of a 6 year old Written byAndreag365 June 21, 2013

Exciting, beautiful, fun, thrilling.

We rented this movie for our 6 year old daughter. She has seen the original, which I personally think is creepier than this one, it did scare her some but in all I think it helped prepare her for what to expect in this one. She loved it! She "jumped" in surprise on a couple parts, which just gave me an excuse to cuddle her ;) She loved seeing the characters and how they came to be before Dorothy, as did I. It has a positive ending and in the end Oz does what is best for the people and helps them. There are a few kissing scenes, which will be no big deal if your child has ever seen a kissing scene before (were not talking r rated, its very fairy tale-esque kissing), like in any of your older princess movies. I read in the reveiws where the word d@mn was used twice, I'm embarred to say we didn't notice, but if we didn't notice then I know my daughter didn't (and she picks up on those things). Every child is different in respect to what they can handle, so I suggest to any parent who questions whether or not to let their young child watch it to go out and rent it and watch it yourself first to determine if you feel it is appropriate enough for your family.

Educator and Parent Written byCafe Momma March 29, 2013

Nicely done, but it wasn't made for little people.

I took my 13 year old to see it, uncertain of what to expect. Knowing the original movie, I never would have taken my 4 year old. I feel even the original has too many dark and scary scenes, but this one, with advance in technology would be too realistic for her. My 10 yo old would like to see it, and I feel it would definitely be appropriate for her to see. I teach first grade, and a few of my students stated that it was scary, and I can see why it would be to them. It never was to my daughter or myself. I thought it had a slow beginning, but quickly came together and I found myself piecing it to The Wizard of Oz. I feel they did a splendid job marrying the two with this prequel.

Parent Written byKarmaCat March 17, 2013

Not for the youngest crowd, but GREAT for adults and older kids!

I had no idea what to expect from Oz the Great and Powerful, but I knew from the previews that it would probably be too intense for my 7-year-old, who is very sensitive to movie violence and doesn't deal well with suspense. But my 8 (almost 9) year old wanted to see it, and so did I, so the two of us went together. I must say, this movie was surprisingly wonderful to watch. The sheer beauty of the special effects was awesome, and the storyline was full of twists and turns that kept things interesting... and the characters were well developed, funny, even endearing. I also loved the overall message, and trust me, I'm quite the critic when it comes to kids' movies and negative ideas being communicated. I think Oz actually has something worthwhile to say. My 8-year-old absolutely adored the movie, and while there were some parts that were very suspenseful and surprising (like a man-eating plant leaping out of nowhere, a rabid flying monkey appearing suddenly out of dense fog, etc.), it really wasn't a scary movie overall, aside from the fact that the wicked witch really does look and act--well, WICKED. But hopefully that won't be a surprise to anyone who knows anything about the Wizard of Oz before going into the theater. The violence in the movie is all in the realm of fantasy/magical violence (evil spells, blasts from magic wands, electric jolts from a witch's fingers, etc.), which doesn't easily translate into real-life nightmares for my own kids, so I didn't consider it to be a deal-breaker. There are a couple of places early in the movie when Oz utters the word "d*mn," which I found to be completely unnecessary, and he also kisses a few different women throughout the movie, which I also found to be rather unnecessary since the plot would have been just fine without the "womanizer" angle, but... overall, I think it was a really great film, and I'd definitely recommend it for kids 8 and up. Any younger than that, and you may have some issues, especially if you have sensitive kids who don't deal well with suspense and sharp-toothed rabid baboons flying through the air in a massive swarm.