Parent reviews for Paddington 2

Paddington 2 Poster Image

Sequel is better than the original

Aaaaaand it's happened. The sequel is better than the first installment. King's direction is whimsical, top-notch and satisfies at every level. The cinematography, the fantasy and the villainy of Grant! Truly special. I think it is his best performance, complex, witty, and full of himself...it is what the role demands. We side with Paddington and all of his sincere tribulations as he tries to maneuver through a world that does not want to see him survive. The influence he has on those around him are a wonderful treat and offer a great message to little ones on the importance of sharing your humanity with others. A charming film that begs to be seen again.

Really good with one downside

I was really surprised that the dad (Mr Brown) used God's name in vain in this movie! The movie overall is really good, we all really enjoyed it, but this was the black spot in the whole thing. My question, 'why?', but I know the answer unfortunately. But it really didn't add anything to the movie needless to say.

Charming!

This was our favorite movie of 2018. It's a rare family/children's movie that is not screaming at kids or talking down to them. It's a gorgeous looking movie with wonderful little scenes such as when Paddington imagines himself in a pop-up book of London. It's got a talented cast. Hugh Grant is especially good as the hammy has-been actor-villain. Watch the credits for a special musical number. Wonderful. (One thing for parents of little children...Paddington is wrongfully imprisoned at one point but he makes the best of it and befriends comic baddies.)

Absolutely delightful

This movie is funny and entertaining for adults and kids. My 4 year old daughter (who is sensitive to scary stuff) has watched it over and over again. Highly recommend!

Absolutely adorable, just like the first movie!

I surprisingly absolutely loved the first movie and the sequel did not dissappoint! It has just the same charm and innocence just like the first movie! Again it has some dark scenes too, but they put in a lot of charm to it, a little bit more than in the first movie, and it work's really well. And the action scenes and the collaboration between live action and CGI animation is once again very interesting to watch. There isn't really anything wrong with it, Paddington is once again a wonderful role model for young kids. And the soundtrack is even more beautiful this time. Once again a perfect family movie for many generations to come!

Cuddly fun

My daughter loved this movie! They managed to make a prison plot warm and fuzzy. If your child already has ideas of what prison is like, it might be scary for them. There’s some action/peril, but if you guide your kid through it it’s not very scary. I skip past the ending but where Hugh grant and the Browns have a climactic battle.

Fun movie with good teaching

Great movie as I think since it talks about racism and how the local community can accept members from different community.

Intense and not for young kids

The movie was recommended to us and we went with a friends family. All the kids were confused and upset when he was sent to prison. The movie while having little violence is way too intense for young kids. Great for adults and older kids with great message.

Paddington Gets Out of a Sticky Problem

After the rather delightful, marmalade-heavy original hit back in 2014, it was only a matter of course that a sequel (or two?) would be promptly rustled up in ensuing years. Well, it was worth it. The tone and overall content of Paddington 2 fits like a glove with number one, presenting a different if suitably similar story, complete with new well-cast heroes and villain. Although predominantly a family-centric movie, Paddington 2 poses objections like in subject matter and gravity to its' predecessor - that is, crude comments and an overt New-Age mentality. Mr. Brown practices Yoga (a fact referenced more than once); Jonathan Brown thinks acting "cool" is very important (he later sort of renounces that); Mrs. Brown wants adventure, and is shown in a swimsuit; Mary Brown apparently wanted to become a nun, but according to the narration "got over that"; the Browns visit a fortune-teller at one point, ect. Another awkward episode of cross-dressing involves a villain who dresses as a nun: he is spotted, and is repeatedly referenced as an "attractive nun". A man misunderstands and believes somebody is commenting on his looks when someone says "nice buns". Language is light (blooming, one oh my ***, screw, ect). Peril is at perhaps a new high in this adventure, including near-drowning, a trapeze lady falling to her death, and other general low-impact violence, again, similar to the first Paddington. Apart from the above (along with anything I may have missed!), Paddington 2 is a really fun adventure, popping with bright colours and spirit. It arguably exceeds the first movie, building successfully on the foundations already laid. It's refreshing to see a suitable family-oriented film, in an age of R-rated adult releases.