All parent member reviews for Pan's Labyrinth

Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

This is a complex film for complex viewers. Considering it's in subtitles, younger kids would not be able to watch it, it requires a good reader to keep up with the lines so that's why I suggest age 12. You will need to gauge your child's maturity level before watching this: there is a scene where a man bashes another man's face in with the bottom of a bottle, a scene where a man is stabbed and his lip cut open so much that he has to sew it together later. There are graphic scenes, and it is set in a war setting so that in itself is very mature. There is a fairy tale element as the story is told mostly from the child's perspective and one woman who is a guerrilla and sort of a maid for the child. It is a movie worth watching, and just make sure your kids are mature enough to watch it.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byXanderCrews January 13, 2011

Not for kids but a Grrrrreat movie.

Films like this are few and far between. You should introduce your kids to this movie when you believe they are the right age.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byChitch May 12, 2011

Great movie but very violent

This was a wonderfully creative and imaginative film. I thought that it was extremely well done. However, the film makers could have toned down the violence quite a bit and still made their point that the stepfather was evil.

Parents, if you value your children's innocence and don't want them to have nightmares for weeks, do NOT let them see this movie. And I'm not just talking about little kids, I believe older children and tweens who are not already desensitized could be traumatized by some of the images. The sociopathic stepfather violently kills and tortures others with no remorse and the fantasy monsters are frightening (the "pale man" in particular).

For parents who have had been through difficult pregnancies and/or lost a baby, keep in mind that there are scenes where the mother and her unborn baby are in peril (showing blood). My wife had to stop watching about two thirds of the way through.

Even through all of that, I still thought it was an overall great story and an extremely well done and engaging film. Unfortunately, it should only be viewed by adults and teenagers who are not bothered by violence and gore. Hence the "R" rating.

Adult Written byPL Hans October 25, 2010

Great Adult Fairy Tale

This is a brilliant movie. The characters are memorable and well-defined, the story is brilliant, the music is "trance-inducing", as it was described to me, and the color-coding is phenomenal. Parents should know that there are several gross scenes in the fantasy world, as well as several graphic ones in the "real" world(the worst being the first one, in which a teenager is beaten to death with a bottle). Parents can also discuss whether the fantasy world was real or not, and whether the Faun was all good, all bad, or a combination.

Adult Written byWaffy October 18, 2010

Thought provoking for the grown ups

A great film full of interesting messages for adults to consider, but don't be fooled into thinking it's a kids' film because of the lead character being 11 years old. Please also don't be put off by the opening violence; it sets a scene from which Ofelia needs to run away and frames the fantasy side perfectly.

Adult Written byRiks December 28, 2010

Parent of a 10 year old Written byaflint August 5, 2010

Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2010

Pans Labyrinth

A great fairytale for adults.

Adult Written byjenste July 21, 2010

Adult Written bysaima December 16, 2009

it is certainly not for kids, specialy the nature of violence is disturbing, I don't understand the age rating being 15 because of one very explicit violence scene! I thought it would be appropriate to give it an 18 certificate, most of the fantacy scenes are also ok for older children, but the violence and overall dark themes are contradictory to any pleasent effects that a fantacy intended for children might have.
visually enticing and artistically woven scenes with a mixture of vivid realism and expressionist approach to
fantacy world accompanied by brilliant acting and music
makes it a perfect treat for those who are fed up of ordinary cinema and current hollywood trends in film industry. Messages are not clear, as Pan seems to have tricked the child into doing his magical tasks.
horrors of war and children's escape to fantasy world could be a strong theme!

Adult Written byrfrary April 9, 2008

I felt ripped off

My main gripe is not that it was a bad movie, but rather that I had no idea that it was all in a foreign language. If I weren't forced to read the subtitles I may have been able to actually see the movie. Although the special effects were good, they were too few and far between. The trailers seen on tv fail to mention it's not in english and portray a much better movie than it really is. I would expect to see this low grade 'B' movie on late night tv, not in theaters.

Adult Written bym25 April 9, 2008

Disturbing war Violance destorys a PG fantasy

As I said, this is a beatiful PG fantasy destroyed by a couple of Violent sequences. When I saw this in my hometown of Los Angles- I realized that its R rating was overacting! Rated R for graphic violence and some language
It should be PG-13: Some Graphic War Violance, Disturbing images, and Brief Strong Language. The F-word is mutter about 3 times, And there are some gritty tourtre scenes. Nothing to bad.

Adult Written byTheosdoren January 3, 2009

I couldn't Sleep Because of the Violence I saw!!!

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so when I saw a horribly violent scene where a man is beaten to death with a wine bottle, then his father is shot in cold blood! Horrible, just horrible! I watch movies to be entertained not haunted!

Adult Written byShaunIsKing April 9, 2008

som graphic war violance but not heavy stylized violance that is much worse

some disturbing stuff. F-word like twice. like three scenes of graphic war violance.

Adult Written bygwelland April 9, 2008

Must See for anyone with an enquiring mind

Fabulously dark allegorical film that combines the brutal reality of the Spanish Civil War and the escapist, mystical world of a young girl and Pan's Labyrinth.

Not for the feignt of heart, this film is pretty graphic in it's representation of the war and the main Captain character's brutal behaviour. The imagery of the childs nether world and cross over to reality are simply stunning.

Open your mind and think beyond the obvious imagery and storyline of the film and you'll find an Oscar worthy film without all the Hollywood fluff. The closest I've seen from the domestic US film studios have been Mel Gibson's epics of Apocolypto & Passion of Christ.

Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for brutal violence, disturbing scenes and brief strong language

Although this is a fantasy film, it's directed toward the adult audience. There are scenes of strong and brutal violence, including a man's face being beaten into a bloody pulp, a man being tortured, and a leg being amputated. There are graphic war scenes, where many people are shot with bloody bullet wounds. The film has a dark, unsettling atmosphere and some scary fantasy elements. The scene where a pale man chases a little girl may be too disturbing and frightening for younger viewers. There is some strong language (including 5 F-words), but it's subtitled.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion July 14, 2012

It will blow you away....NOT FOR KIDS OR TEENS

I'm frankly kind of shocked that CommonSense rated this for 15 year olds, as did all of the adult reviewers. Maybe we didn't see the same movie...The "Pan's Labyrinth" I saw was visually breathtaking, artistically mind-blowing, emotionally harrowing, and brutally violent. No one is left unscathed by the film's conclusion. The movie is about the loss of innocence, and tells the story of a wonderful little girl who must retreat to a fantasy land of her own creation in order to flee from the nightmarish violence that has engulfed her life. Her stepfather is a sadistic army colonel. He shoots countless people over the course of the movie, including civilians. He beats a teenager's nose into his head with a wine bottle (we hear it crack and see its disfigured shape). A man's leg is amputated. Another man's face is split at his cheek (think the Joker from Batman) onscreen (with splatter) and we see him stitching it back together, stitch by stitch. A woman dies in childbirth, and we see her bloody sheets. A man is tortured with tools like hammers and chisels. We see abundant blood and gore in all of these instances. It's not unnecessary and it serves the story and message, but it's enough to overpower anyone watching, especially kids and teens. When people say this fantasy is for adults, they aren't kidding. It's one of the most beautiful movies you'll ever see (visually and thematically), but it should be shown to NO kids under ANY circumstances. The uncompromising harshness of the film had me in tears by its end. Go out of your way to see it, but make sure the kids are in bed first...even the teenagers.

Adult Written byad7 April 9, 2008

Beatiful

One of the best! parents need to know that there are some war scenes and some blood. There are some scary images like a giant frog and a coupple of four letter words are uttered briefly in subtitles. ON FOR 11+

Adult Written bywsmpac April 9, 2008

Misleading

This movie was very misleading in representing fairy tale status. Not recomended for children, would not hold interest. Very brutal as far as inuendo to violence, does not show most parts. Very boring and the subtitles makes it annoying.

Adult Written byBender_Sastre October 5, 2011

A film for the college-level Spanish student

Beautifully told. Amazing visual effects. Very representative of post Spanish Civil War times. A good college-level film. Doesn't offend my sensibilities, but I wouldn't recommend letting anyone younger than 17 watch it; it IS rated 'R', after all. The violence is not the glorified, Hollywood violence, so gunshot wounds don't launch projectile blood, but you do watch a man get his face mutilated. If you speak Spanish, the swearing is worse than how they represent it in the translation.