All member reviews for Parental Guidance

Predictable family comedy isn't deserving of its stars.

Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 December 27, 2012

Funny, touching family comedy has an awful first 20 minutes but then becomes funny, enjoyable, and though cliched and predictable, well done. Welcome back to the big screen Billy Crystal

Teen, 14 years old Written bydancer365 December 25, 2012

Great for an older audience.

I did love this movie, but I am after all 14. There was a lot of kissing, and rude humor also once reffering to a girl as really ugly and a man for being blind to propose to her. I felt that was rude and unneccesary, but the audience found it funny. There was some drinking while the couple was on vacation but it wasn't bad at all. No one got drunk, so it was fine. Also, once in the first night scene, the lady wore a revealing top which I don't feel was fit for kids to watch. The movie was very humorous, though, and my family was able to find a connection from the movie into our daily lives. I feel like if you are willing to expose your kids to these things, this movie is a great family movie and it displays a wonderful positive message. It is a very relatable movie, which is what I felt was the most attention grabber for me personally. :)

Parent Written byThe Movie Critic December 31, 2012

Great movie with great meaning

It's the type of movie I like to see with my family beacuse it's not violent,and after the movie is done you feel good that you chose too watch this movie. I hope more of these types of movies exist.Because these movies make you a great person hope you feel the same way too.

Parent Written byTeenBoyzDad December 26, 2012

Highly Recommended!

I saw this with 4 other parents, a grandmother, and my 14 year old son. We all loved this movie. It made us laugh, it drew a few tears, and it just plain felt good! The performances by Billy Crystal and Bette Midler were great. Yeah, the song and dance number was a bit gratuitous (I'm sure there was something left on the editing floor that would have tied this in, somehow) but it was still good! Highly recommended!

Parent of a 10 year old Written byDISNEY2013 December 28, 2012

PARENTAL GUIDANCE IS A GREAT MOVIE

This was a great movie for families. We had 11 members of our family who went to see this movie. Grandparents, parents and kids above the age of 9, will enjoy this. BACK TO FAMILY MORALS AND BACK TO FAMILY TIME.

Adult Written bymitmac December 28, 2012

Movie of the Year

My entire family LOVED this movie....the kids laughed and we laughed and cried. So much truth to this movie. "Modern parents" coddle our children too much....such a wake up call. There aren't many movies appropriate for families and entertaining at the same time. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are PERFECT together in this movie. We've seen it twice so far and will definitely be buying this movie on DVD.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCole9678 December 28, 2012

Pair in til guy dance (see what i did there?)

This movie was VERY funny, but it's one of those comedies that are going to bore the kids because they won't know what's going on. Billy Crystal, of course, does his hilarious improv works of art, which made the movie more enjoyable. There isn't anything inappropriate in the movie except for this scene in the beginning which has a bunch of old women in a room pole dancing, but they were fully clothed and I don't think kids would get the picture. This movie is more appealing for families with 12 to 15 year old kids rather than 7 to 9 year old kids, but it would definitely be labeled under the family section if you ask me. So overall, not the BEST movie, but not a WASTE or bad movie.

Kid, 12 years old Written bydoubleE January 3, 2013

Parental Guidance was a cute, feel good movie!

I loved this movie! Its perfects for tweens to see! Any kid under twelve I think wouldn't understand the true message of this movie but there is barely any sex or violence in this movies and very few language. Its a really cute movie for the whole family!

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bybootsbearmom December 31, 2012

Give it a try!

I often preview movies and steer away from ones with any violence, bad words, etc. After seeing this movie with my 9 year old daughter and her friend, I was shocked to see it rated PG on the same scale as many other violent, and sexually charged movies. The whole thing is pretty funny, a little bit of potty humor, but not anything that would bother me for my kids to repeat. The previews before (for Star Trek and Oz the Great and Powerful) were much more frightening and mature than this.

Parent of a 7 and 15 year old Written byParentReviewz January 2, 2013

Like a Watered-Down Version of Cheaper By the Dozen.

I Don't Know Who This Movie is Targeted For? It Has A Lot Of Adult Humor (Not Innuendo, Just Things Like The Grandparents Role-Playing) But then Scatological Humor for Kids like Peeing off the Half-Pipe and Billy Crystal Hit in the Groin. The Acting is Horrible and The Movie is Rarely Funny And Was a Showcase to advertise things like (The Saw Movies, ESPN, Sports Teams and Apple Products). What an Embarrassment to the Two Staring Leads. Also, By the Way, That Wasn't Even a real Clip From SAW.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 29, 2013

Awfully Raunchy

Blah, Gross, Disturbing. I hate it

Parent Written byhor5eyland January 5, 2013

Great for a multi-generation trip to the movies.

This was a great movie to bring grandparents, parents and young kids. The jokes were predictable and funny. It was totally appropriate for a 6 year old boy. They did use words like fart and shut up. However it was nice to go to a movie where nothing scary happens. There was a good message and was entertaining.

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byDjeendjeen January 2, 2013

See This Film with Your Children and Grandparents!

We saw this as a multi generational outing despite the review above and I am so glad we did. It was very entertaining for all of us and also had some authentic emotional content. There is a wonderful dimension of the film that illustrates the struggle of grandparents who are trying to connect with their grandchildren and how they succeed, although clumsily. It is a great film that shows that family relationships take honesty, imagination and energy. There is also an extremely touching scene between the grandfather and his grandson who stutters. Through their relationship and an old radio recording of a famous baseball game, the grandson finds a voice and overcomes his stutter. Obviously, the stutter is not cured but it is a very touching moment to see the impact of the new connection that the grandson and grandfather have made. I loved this movie and so did my kids and my mom. And we all loved the part in the movie when Billy Crystal and Bette Midler sang, "Book of Love." For a family that loves to sing, this part will be very fun!

Parent Written bypicasso826 January 14, 2013

Wonderful, funny, heart warming...

This movie is great fun, heart warming and wonderful for the whole family. The casting, starting with Billy Crystal and Bette Midler, is perfect. What's cutting edge about this movie is that it's not about cutting edge, it's about values. Very funny lines and situations. The kind of movie that will have you smiling long after you leave the theater. Bravo! I'd like to see more like this.

Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2013

Great Family Romp

A great movie to see with the family but make sure the kids are mature enough. There is some suggestive content between the husband and wife but that is it. Other than that HILARIOUS! Saw it with my grandparents and you will not regret it. Classic Billy Crystal!

Parent of a 12 year old Written bypotterypot January 3, 2013

A really good family movie with good values

Finally! A good movie with good actors that both children and adults can enjoy. Our whole family (from 12 to 60) enjoyed this movie immensely. The acting is great, and the script is, too, resulting in lots of laugh-out-loud moments for all of us. It was really nice to see a movie where there's no swearing and no one acting supremely inappropriately. The critics missed the boat. Don't any of them have children? This is a FAMILY MOVIE, people! They must have lost sight of what a family movie is supposed to be.

Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2013

Just Another Boring Prediction

Pretty boring and too predictable. Don't waste your time.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byBruinsmama December 31, 2012

Truly enjoyable film with a good message

I saw this with my son (age 10) and my Mom and we all laughed and my Mom even got teary eyed at the end. I loved the message of love, true family love, and how the parents & grandparents just trying doing their best. Billy Crystal is a GENIUS who just gets better with age. I say SEE THIS FILM and make up your own mind, but I loved it!

Parent Written byMovies First January 18, 2013

Very funny, don't miss Parental Guidance

This is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time. There is almost no bathroom humor and just great writing. The kids will laugh at the obvious and really miss most of the jokes since they are made for adults. Billy Crystal is at his best being Billy Crystal. One of the funniest scenes is Billy as Voodoo Grandpa. If you want a pick me up, go see this movie. You won't be disappointed.

Teen, 13 years old Written byminimoviecritic January 9, 2013

good movie

This was a good movie. Some of the kids are perfectionist and are very tightly wound, but by the end they learn that they can be who they want to be which is a very important lesson. I watched this movie with my 8 year old brother and great-grandma and didn't feel the least bit awkward watching it with them. There is some childish humor, as expecting coming from a kid's movie, but it is quite interesting and teaches some very good lessons.