Parent reviews for Scream

Scream Poster Image

Self aware, entertaining horror/comedy flick has gruesome images and violence

Scream (1998) isn’t what you’d expect from a slasher film whatsoever, and this is because it both pokes fun at and uses classic horror tropes to its advantage mixing in the perfect amount of dark comedy! Despite this, the film gets increasingly violent as it goes on, and even the opening scene is shocking and scary. VIOLENCE: SEVERE A woman is taunted and horrified on a phone call where a man tells her that he’d like to see her intestines and more. In the opening scene, a man is shown tied to a chair out on a woman’s lawn with blood on his face and duct tape covering his mouth. The lights on the lawn turn off and we hear him being sliced before the lights turn back on revealing him to be gutted with his intestines hanging out. A few, brief shots of this are shown in dim lighting, and this is less disturbing than it sounds. A woman is chased down into her backyard and stabbed in the chest by the killer (no blood) before he cuts her neck and repeatedly stabs her mostly offscreen, however blood is shown covering the knife and her body as the knife swings up and down. She is later shown with countless stab wounds being dragged across the lawn before we see her hanging from a tree with her intestines strung out. This is far more disturbing than the last kill. Multiple scenes depict victims running from and fighting back against the killer, depicting mostly comical instances of violence (slipping and falling, hitting with fridge door and other mild things) despite the actual murders being gruesome and bloody. A man is repeatedly stabbed in the stomach with a knife and dies, this is slightly bloody but the mildest and most brief instance of killing in the film. We hear about a woman who was raped and murdered a year prior to the events of the film. This isn’t explained in any detail, only mentioned. A handful of scenes depicting face punching. All of this is mild. A woman falls out of an attic window and lands on a soft surface unharmed. A woman gets chased down by the killer and is sliced on the wrist before she crawls into a small slot in a garage door. Her head gets stuck in it and the killer starts to open the door, causing her neck to be crushed by it. The lights are shown flickering and she is shown dead, however this isn’t very graphic and only shows a small amount of blood after. A man is stabbed a few times showing blood, but later we find out this is staged. A man has his throat slit causing blood to gush and pour out of the wound as he stumbles around. Later, blood is shown pooled all over the floor where he was killed but his body isn’t there. Instead, blood covers a car window and his body slides down is smearing blood everywhere and causing the driver to go into a state of panic, forcing the bloody corpse off of the van. A van crashes. A man is shown with a knife in his back as he stumbles to the ground, he is okay. A man is repeatedly shot and falls to the ground. He does not die. In the final sequence, two insane men gold a woman captive as they take out a hostage from a closet and begin to create a story for their murders. To do this, they begin stabbing each other in the stomach once onscreen and then again multiple times offscreen, the one man is briefly shown running the knife up the others back. They both bleed and get blood everywhere and anywhere while they run around. A woman is kicked against a pole and hurts herself, however she lives before a man is kicked in the crotch, flipped over a couch and bit in the wrist before a vase is smashed against his head. Finally, the woman pushes a TV on his head killing him and causing it to spark everywhere. After, a man is suddenly stabbed twice with an umbrella and then repeatedly shot causing him to fall to the ground. Afterwards he gets up and is finished off by a shot to the head. This scene is incredibly menacing, violent and very bloody. LANGUAGE: MODERATE Around 19 uses of “f*ck” and several uses of “b*tch” and “sh*t”. Other curses include “slut”, “whore” and other swears. SEXUAL CONTENT: MILD A handful of make out scenes and one light sex scene depicting some thrusting, however this is clothed from the waist up and shown also from the waist up and the scene lasts for only a few seconds. Countless sexual references to sex, virginity, rape and other subjects. OVERALL: 14+ for disturbing violent images and behavior, language and sexual references

5 people found this helpful.

Dazzling Film! 5 out of 5 👻

This is a great movie! I watched it 1 year ago and I can say the first scene was quite a spook! There is much swearing and drinking/ smoking. There is no sex scenes except some scene in the beginning where a boyfriend tries to pull down a girls underwear but she doesn't let him. My favorite movie killer has to be ghostface! the storyline is outstanding! Watch with teens 13 and up. Make sure to read my other reviews for good opinions on popular movies. Thanks!

I would say it’s PG-13

This movie was a great starter for Caroline she really enjoyed it. She covered her eyes at the last seen but I think this was a great starter!

2 people found this helpful.

Great intro to the slasher genre

I watched it with my boy cousins, aged 12, 13 and 15. They thoroughly enjoyed the mystery, loved the characters and kept trying to guess who the killer was. They picked up quickly the genre rules and the meta jokes. The 12 year old shut his eyes during Sidney and Billy sex/ bra scene, but didn’t seem bothered by the stabbings. It was more the tension that all 3 were engrossed in. We talked about how Sidney subverts the final girl trope and challenges ideas of female sexuality. They told me that girls today are thé ones putting sexual pressure on boys - so we got to talk about not doing things we don’t want to do or feeling pressured into sex like Sidney. They loved Dewie as a sweet socially awkward character and found Stu very funny. I love scream, it’s a great mystery and very well done.

2 people found this helpful.

Great for Teens who like horror

there was a few swears. i think this movie is good for ages 13 and up Violence: it is a horror so there is some killing

Rated R16, TV-14 (DLV)
1 person found this helpful.

I love this movie, so I may be biased

Very gory so it really depends if your kid can handle that. There is of course a lot of violence. Also includes sex and drinking and a lot of profanity. Talks about rape. But it’s pretty tame for a horror movie which is why I said 13. Again, really depends on your kid! I hated horror movies at that age but all things considered it’s not that inappropriate!

1 person found this helpful.

One of my favorite slashers!

If you are looking for a good slasher that is smart, clever, visually striking, and keeps you on the edge of your seat, try this one! I love the perseverance and endurance (positive messages) Sidney Prescott displays in this first of many “Scream” depictions, and I love the look of Ghostface, which makes it visually striking. I just don’t understand why this movie was almost rated NC-17 for violence. There are much more violent movies than this one that are much more deserving of NC-17. The carnage and blood is very gory, but this is now a little dated compared to other violent horror movies these days. This is NOT a stupid slasher and horror fans will not be disappointed. This is one of Wes Craven’s best flicks, but I would only recommend it to mature 15-year-olds and up. This well-made slasher is too graphic for young kids.

Amazing