Parent reviews for Shopgirl

Shopgirl Poster Image

My personal review of Shopgirl-

I thought it would be a good movie, but looks can be very deceiving. It just was too dramatic with all of the ways they portrayed the girl. Claire Danes did a fabulous job with what she had to work with in this piece. She is really a very good actress, but Steve Martins' part was misleading in todays world. Sure, that's what every woman would want, or is it? Since Steve martin wrote the screenplay, it's only fitting that he should get the blame for this horribly played out movie. Not only is it chauvinistic to the nth degree, but his haughtiness toward her supposedly mundane life is appalling. It teaches girls what our mothers taught us; to find a rich man and all will be well, and as all older women know, this is not normally the case. It really isn't a well thought out movie for today's teenager. It is condescending, on all fronts, to todays woman. It is repetitive in nature until the very end, when it tries to redeem all of these terrible affronts to this girls psyche. Not a good value movie at all, and frankly not a good movie for anyone, except possibly a woman in 1950.

not for kids

HEAPS of sex scenes in this film. One scene shows the woman completely naked on the bed from behind. I would not even let anyone under even the age of 16 watch this

okay for older teens, not really interesting or appropriate for children

I was dismayed to find that Clare Dane's character was so depressed that she was simply yearning for affection. She didn't care if she loved the person or not! There was not a time that she was able to pick herself up on her own and find someone in a healthy way. She was constantly depending on someone else to make her happy and that message can be very damaging for young girls.

Self Absorption Embodied

I was really hoping to like this movie more but it was just okay. It felt likely a slight less neurotic Broken Flowers. Martin's character is self-absorbed and while capable of tenderness, terrified of it. This is a mature movie and not for kids at all. There's vivid sex, drinking, and not much happening in the morals department.
not rated for age

For adults only -- some good old fashioned humor

This is an enjoyable, thought-provoking movie. The storyline is simple, yes complicated, and the characters are simple, yet gradually develop into more complex characters. Quite a few good laughs, a few deep moments, and something you may talk about for a few days after viewing. Mirabel's character is worthy of on-screen recognition. The only drawback I felt was Steve Martin narrating the story...it should have been narrated by someone other than himself. Definitely worth the trip to the theatre.

ok flick for adults

It wasn't too sappy or too extreme with the romance. However, the movie plot was bad all around, and the sex makes it inappropiate for anybody under 17