Parent reviews for Singin' in the Rain

Singin' in the Rain Poster Image

Bad male/female relationships

I used to love this movie-- but recently watched it with my daughters (6 and 3). It had SO MANY cringe moments-- mostly the outdated and inappropriate social dynamics between men and women. Not the kind of relationship modeling I would want my dd's to see. My daughter also found the cowboy fighting scenes (short) quite stressful.

Great singing and dancing, but a bit of blackface

This is a wonderful classic film and a lot of fun, but I was horrified to discover a (thankfully) very brief blackface scene of white actors playing drum-playing chanting Africans in the jungle. I was not prepared for that even after reading a lot of reviews, so I was not expecting to have to explain this racism to the children watching the film with me.

Wonderful.

Our kids laughed and sang along and loved the whole evening. Gentle, charming, nothing offensive - with a big heart and soul to it. Another great movie my kids want to watch again.

One of our family favorites

We first showed our kids this movie when they were 2, 4, and 5. Our youngest didn't sit through the entire thing, but the 4- and 5-year old loved it and we've continued watching it about once every 12-18 months as our kids have gotten older. There's a reason why this movie gets the great reviews!

Great singing, dancing and story but forward a racy scene

We were all enchanted watching this together! Gene Kelly makes dancing look effortless and the innocence of "Singing in the Rain" number can bring tears to your eyes. But I was surprised at the Cyd Cherice number, with her in heels, skimpy dress, smoking a cigarette, and coming on to Gene strongly in a very sexy number. It seemed a complete departure from the clean-cut rest of the movie and I suppose parents can skip over that number with their young kids if they want to avoid any exposure to that. It's when he's dancing in a bar area and comes across a sexy leg up in the air with green heels. Just forward through that number and the rest of the movie is perfection. My 9 year old son said, "Whoa" and I wish he hadn't seen that. I also wish my 7 year old daughter doesn't start dancing like Cyd! We don't allow exposure to sexy music videos and this felt like one. Best for the older set. Other than that, "Make them Laugh", "Good Morning" and "Moses Supposes" are completely entertaining! My daughter loved learning about silent movies and the beginning of "Talkies"--a bit of movie history! Hope this helps.

It is very amazing

I think this is a great movie. Super funny and lots of cool songs. There also is a really cool fact I learned from my mom. The actress who plays Cathy (Debbie Reynolds) is the Mom of Carrie Fisher, who plays Princess Leia Star Wars.

This is movie is for Pre-Teens and Adults!

Singin' in the Rain is awesome to watch over and over again! I just loved it!

Truly the best Hollywood musical of all time

It could also be the best "putting on a show" movie ever made. I mean, wow, it's incredible that all of this was done in one take! Gene Kelly truly was the king of broadway dance and this proves it. I'd recommend everyone see this at least once.

My preschoolers love this one!

My kids are 2 1/2 and 5 and have seen almost no tv or movies but i let them watch this and they just love it. The few iffy moments are the stunts at the beginning (where "Don Lockwood" looks like he's getting killed in various stunts) and which we describe to our 2 1/2-year-old as "pretend" and the "dumb blonde" role. The former is a bit of a problem but, honestly, the portrayal is so stereotyped that I don't think my kids even take it seriously -- it's just not what they see anywhere else.