Kid reviews for Singin' in the Rain

Singin' in the Rain Poster Image

Golden cinema movie has great humor way past its time

1927 Hollywood. Monumental Pictures' biggest stars, glamorous on-screen couple Lina Lamont and Don Lockwood, are also an off-screen couple if the trade papers and gossip columns are to be believed. Both perpetuate the public perception if only to please their adoring fans and bring people into the movie theaters. In reality, Don barely tolerates her, while Lina, despite thinking Don beneath her, simplemindedly believes what she sees on screen in order to bolster her own stardom and sense of self-importance. R.F. Simpson, Monumental's head, dismisses what he thinks is a flash in the pan: talking pictures. It isn't until The Jazz Singer (1927) becomes a bona fide hit which results in all the movie theaters installing sound equipment that R.F. knows Monumental, most specifically in the form of Don and Lina, have to jump on the talking picture bandwagon, despite no one at the studio knowing anything about the technology. Musician Cosmo Brown, Don's best friend, gets hired as Monumental's ideas man and musical director. And by this time, Don has secretly started dating Kathy Selden, a chorus girl who is trying to make it big in pictures herself. Don and Kathy's relationship is despite their less than friendly initial meeting. Cosmo and Kathy help Don, who had worked his way up through the movie ranks to stardom, try make the leap to talking picture stardom, with Kathy following along the way. However, they have to overcome the technological issues. But the bigger problem is Lina, who will do anything to ensure she also makes the successful leap into talking pictures, despite her own inabilities and at anyone and everyone else's expense if they get in her way, especially Kathy as Don's off screen girlfriend and possibly his new talking picture leading lady.

Singing in the rain

Definitely one of if not THE BEST MUSICAL EVER! The whole cast is amazing:) Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds got snubbed at the Oscars! Watch this! It’s so worth your time:)

movie cool

It was a bit odd at times but still really tho cause you get to see a lot of drama

Why this is great and is good

Great movie. I love all the musical numbers and love dancing to them. Something I found out is that if you watch it with kids under 9-10 you will get great reactions from them.

Singin' in the Rain

Cool Movie but some Iffy Stuff for Preschoolers

Feel good movie has some dated material

Well, what do you expect? This movie came out in 1952, there's definitely some things that don't age well to 2020. It was a different time. But this movie was an absolute blast! The music was wonderful, the choreo was stunning, and I really did enjoy the story of the transition to talkies. There's also a bit of history here too. There's a joke about the '27 hit "The Jazz Singer" never going to be big for being a talkie which would become a very important film in our past. Soon everyone was pressured to make these dazzling talkies and the struggle was real. This movie is so much fun and I do recommend it, just keep in mind that this was made in a different time.

My Favourite Movie!

I saw this movie for the first time with a live orchestra, and it was a truly magical experience. This movie has amazing song and dance scenes!

Great movie for kids!

This was an amazing movie. It is a happy and upbeat movie about the struggles of making movies with dialogue. Although it was made in 1952, it is based in the 1920's I recommend this movie for kids eight. and up. It isn't bad, but younger children might not understand it. There are several kissing scenes that are very mild, and very brief blood.

Classic!

It's one of the first movies I'd ever watched. It's complex so it's not boring, but at the same time it's simple so little kids can enjoy it. It's the perfect family movie for families with young tweens to families with a 5 year old. It's perfect for kids of all ages and the songs are well-written and CLASSIC. The singing and dancing is perfection and Gene Kelly is perfect in everything he does. Must see!