Parent reviews for Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle Poster Image

Rom-Com Gold

A classic 90's rom-com with good writing and fantastic acting! Some mild swearing, and occasional sexual references that may leave some kids with questions.

Too many sex references hardly any language though

Not much language. Must see romcom. But wayyyyyy too many sex references for my six year old. If your kid is above 10 then they can definitely watch it. If your kid is under 9 then you should watch it first and I dont mean like if you watched it ten years ago before you had kids, like watch it a few weeks before your planning on showing it to your kids. Bc every kid is different and it really all depends on what your kids know about sex and what other movies your kids have seen.

So good for kids with one main parent

My kids have one custodial parent (me) and they love emo movies with one parent themes (ok, we all do). They are in that sweet spot where they don't get sex jokes, but they do understand relationships and "magic." I hope they don't ever lose this. (But I do hope they understand sex jokes eventually). A few outdated gender-specific stereotypes are the only negatives for me.

Sweetness in Seattle!

I have loved this movie for as long as I can remember. . . Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are such a great couple in this movie of suspense, thrill and. . . you guessed it, LOVE at first sound--then sight!

Funny, one of the best movies romances for pre-teens and up only

Re-watched this the other night for the first time in years and it was my girlfriend's first time seeing it. We both loved it and laughed a lot. However with that being said there are some iffy things in this movie that almost come close to pushing the limits of the PG rating. Sure, there are many romantic comedies out there with far more risque content than this, but if you are thinking of this for a family movie night either watch it with a filter or without a filter only if you have kids 12 and up. There is some talk about sex including Tom Hanks' son asking him if he wants a wife to have sex with her and will she "scratch his back." When Hanks asks his son where he heard it, he mentioned one of his friends had cable, and that is where he picked it up from. Additionally Hanks' son calls a woman he is dating a "ho" and although it is rather innocently said he repeats the phrase a few times and later on Meg Ryan's character makes the same comment. Hanks later remarks how he got "laid 7 or 8 times in college" unaware his son has walked in the room and can hear what he said. There is also mention of an orgasm in an excerpt from a radio program, and although there is no sexual intercourse Meg Ryan and her fiancee played by Bill Pullman are seen in bed together. Even though they are both fully clothed, this movie sends a message that it is ok to sleep with your significant other before marriage. Swearing is very minimal. I only counted one g-----n" and two "s---s" which is totally acceptable for the PG rating but more of the talks of sex and implied pre-marital sex make this inappropriate for anyone under 12. On the reverse side however this movie has two of the most likeable characters in a romantic movie and even though the ending may be predictable it is exactly what we are rooting for. Additionally Hanks' son shows some signs of being a good and bad role model. He is good as he is constantly looking out for his dad's best interest, after all that is really what sets the whole story in motion to begin with. But he also has a bad role model quality by flying off to New York City by himself against his dads wishes and without even letting his dad know. So that could communicate a message to children that it is ok to disobey your parents, although Hanks does reprimand his son with love, patience and honesty for it, making him a good role model and father. This is probably one of (if not the very) best movies to stay at home and watch with your significant other and for families with pre-teenagers it is ok for family movie night, but younger children are not likely to understand the humor or themes, and the sexual remarks and implied pre-marital sex make this an inappropriate choice for them.

Good movie but older kids will understand it better.

Younger kids may not understand this movie fully. It has a lot of stuff about divorce.

A little risqué for a PG rating.

I watched this movie with my mom and I was shocked at how much sexual innuendo and references were in it. The fact that it's PG really angers me because of the heavy sex-related dialogue. Definitely not for children strictly for teens and adults mostly 14+.

Sweet Romance, but Be Advised!

Meg Ryan and her boyfriend are shown to be Cohabitating. Implies that sex and living together before marriage is A-okay. Another draw back for child viewers and major talking point for teens. This in addition to Tom's reference to "getting laid" and brief bragging about how many women he's slept with.

A Funny and Light-Hearted Comedy for the Family...

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE is a light-hearted comedy for the family, not surprisingly trans-generational and exceptionally family-friendly. In fact, this is one of the best comedies you can watch with your kids, and it's a chick flick that will appeal to guys too. There are two curse words "d**n" and "s**t". There are also a couple of innuendos as well (Orgasms and condoms are briefly and nongraphically mentioned, and brief reference is made to "getting laid".) That's all I can think of that's objectionable in the film. The acting is great, and kids will appreciate the humor as much as adults. This is a sweet family movie that anyone can enjoy.
not rated for age

For tender-hearted kids

Kids with the romantic side will enjoy this movie. Call it a 'chick flick' if you will, but it IS all about a guy and a girl that 'belong' together and his son trying to figure out how to hook them up. The conniving is fun, kind of on the lines of Parent Trap. Tom Hanks is in his element. A great movie that the whole family should enjoy.