Parent reviews for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Poster Image

The first feature-length animation by Disney is a true classic!

I loved this movie 10 years ago, and I still do. Sure it isn't the same as animation is now, but let's face it, most animation nowadays isn't very good. I can name a plethora of reasons why I love this movie. The animation is beautiful, with one or two stiff movements, but have a heart, it is the first Disney animation. The songs are mind-blowing, as well as the gorgeous incidental music(music similar to Great Expectations, 1946) that hardly anybody has mentioned. My favourite is "Someday my Prince Will Come", I cry every time I hear it. The characters are legendary, and the writing is top notch. Who can forget those adorable dwarfs, who added such a lot to this movie. Snow White is the weakest character but I like her innocence very much, and about her singing voice...it sounds weak, but in real life it must have been strong, and let me explain why. The colouratura soprano Amelita Galli-Curci was given the praise "a beautiful and limpid voice" yet I heard it on cassette and it sounds quite quiet. It has nothing to do with the size of the voice, but the quality of the recording. The best character was the wicked queen, who had the most classic animation scene I have ever seen... when she turns into a hag, which freaked me out big time when I was about 9, like Malificent from "Sleeping Beauty." To me the Queen is probably one of the scariest Disney villains ever. The scene at Snow White's coffin was heart-rending, and it was the music that made it so. All in all, a beautiful, funny and touching movie, and I can't believe some people hated this. 10/10. Bethany Cox
1 person found this helpful.
Disturbing scenes include the title character running, visibly terrified, through a forest filled with monstrous forms and faces (which turn out to be her imagination), a disturbing transformation scene where the queen drinks a potion and turns into an old woman, images of human remains such as skulls and a skeleton, and the mention of killing someone and ripping out their heart.

1 person found this helpful.
Non-violence

Timeless Memorable Character

A Movie Milestone Where would the animation world be without the humongous success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? If the movie failed back in 1937, there would be no Disney Company today, no Lion King, and no Disneyland. Disney's Folly, as critics first called it, would probably have scared any other industry from attempting such an ambitious and innovative project. Pixar may not have ever had the chance to put out their groundbreaking features, and even the Disney- and fairy tale-bashing Shrek may never have been made if Snow White didn't set the course for the world of the animated feature. There must have been tremendous pressure on everyone involved in the making of Snow White, but they did not disappoint. The end result includes a timeless story, classic songs, and beautiful imagery that will live on for future generations to enjoy. In fact, this was only the second movie that captured my nieces' full attention spans (The Lion King being the first). In my opinion, the story was great but not perfect. It's not as exciting or filled with as much witty remarks as today's animated features, but as soon as the dwarfs are introduced, the movie takes on an endearing lighter side. For the record, my favorite dwarf is Doc, because I can relate to him being a strong leader with some very humanistic follies, such as always getting tongue-tied (I do that myself all too often). All the songs stand out in their own way. `Some Day My Prince Will Come' is a classic, fairy-tale ballad. `Heigh-Ho,' `Dig, Dig, Dig,' and `Whistle While You Work' are great songs to pick up your spirits when you have to go to work, do chores, or do homework. And my favorite, `The Silly Song,' is just a great, catchy, and funny song. As for the imagery, it's just breathtaking, especially considering how early it was introduced. The colors are rich and lively, and the multi-plane camera does add some great depth to the movie. As you can tell, for an animation and Disney fan like myself, Snow White is a perfect milestone in the movie world. Even compared to the animation and storytelling styles of today, Snow White still stands the test of time. Kudos to everyone involved in this picture as their work will live on forever. My IMDb Rating: 10/10. My Yahoo! Grade: A+ (Oscar-Worthy)

I believe that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs from 1937 is absolutely delightful, except the darker scenes (when the princess is in the forest and she screams and when the Evil Queen orders the huntsman to kill Snow White). The romantic scenes were very sweet.

Much scarier than I remember

I watched this by myself first before judging if it would be ok for my daughters to see it together. I thought it would pass easily, since it's a classic disney princess movie. However some scenes were pretty shocking. The violence is very blatant.. from the queen ordering Snow White to be killed, to the huntsman lifting up the knife, to Snow White casually talking about how if they don't let her stay in the cottage the queen will find her and kill her, to finally the queen dying. Basically the subject of DEATH is everywhere in this movie. And finally a scene that I just didn't like: the way the dwarves forced Grumpy to wash. I hated this scene, I know it's meant to be funny to kids, but I don't think it's funny for a group of people to hold someone down against their will and humiliate them. With that said - I watched Snow White myself when I was about 5, and I'm pretty sure that all of these negative things flew by me. I don't remember ever being affected by any of it, and just thought it was entertaining. That's why I'll only take off one star, since maybe adults tend to over-analyze things that a child wouldn't think twice about. Overall the movie is beautiful and a great story. Before I watched it I thought it would be suitable for a very young toddler, but now I'm thinking it's more appropriate for one that is about 6 and already knows what death is.

SW

it was good

The Fairest Disney Animated Film of All

I was 2 to 3 years old when I saw the final re-release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1993. Everything about the film is wonderful, the animation, the characters and the music.