Parent reviews for Soul Surfer

Soul Surfer Poster Image

Oscar

AmAZING movie!!!

True and Empowering Story-Must Watch!

This movie is one of my favorites. Bethany is a strong female who tackles her fears and is a great role model to kids. I think that this movie should be for kids 9 and up because the shark attack scene is scary. There is blood and fear in that scene, so if your kid gets scared easily, you might want to skip over that scene. This movie talks a lot about God. I think this is an excellent choice for a family movie, but maybe not the best if you are afraid of sharks.

Great

This is a great movie about Bethany Hamilton but I don't that younger children should watch there is a shark attack and blood and her being rushed to the hospital but good for girls 8+

If you are looking for a complete overview of the shark attack, look this over.

It starts with them in the water. Bethany puts her hand in the water and starts to paddle. The suspenseful music starts, and we go to the shark's vision as it spots the hand in the water and swims up. Then we quickly see the shark grab the arm and disappear. Everyone starts screaming, they scramble to get her out of the water. Everyone is worried. The dad is especially worried cause he's not Bethany's dad. They get her on the surfboard completely, paddle her back to shore. The water turns red with blood. They got on the shore, Bethany's friend barfs in the blurry part of the screen. The rest grab bandages and attempt to stop the blood flowing from the bitten arm, which is mangled and messy. They eventually give up and get her in the car, and drive her away, calling 911. In the hospital, the dad is laying down when the doctor rushes out, he asks what's happening, the doctor says there was a shark attack, the dad tries to stand up in alarm, the doctor pushes him down, they have a sort of fight. Back over at the shark attack, they find an ambulance, pull over, switch Bethany to the ambulance. Suspenseful, dramatic music is playing this whole time. Blood is still pouring out, Mom comes, tell her it'll be ok. Bethany's vision. Everything is blurry and swaying, then it goes black. Also, there is a scene where the best friend dreams about the shark and it zooms up to her, it's brief but definitely dramatic. The friend's dad says "don't worry, it's just a dream." trembling, the friend says "no, its real." Overall, it's a good movie. No iffy stuff, as you may expect from a beach film rated for higher ages. No language. No violence except that scene.

Soul Surfer!!!

This movie is very inspiring. It shows you no matter what you go through you can do whatever you put your mind to. Overall, Bethany Hamilton is just an inspiring human and many people look up to her. I recommend this movie to any one. It's very appealing and a great movie for kids to see.

Great Movie

Great movie!!!

Great, be careful though!

This movie is wonderful! I think you need to know your kid to watch it though. I definitely think kids between 11-14 will enjoy it and understand it more, but younger kids can watch it if they're not afraid! Great acting does mention Christianity and God.

Inspiring

Great movie for kids to see serious GRIT in a fellow kid. The shark attack scene is a little scary, so we told our kids about it in advance. The film has a bit of a low-budget, cheesy vibe, but it's still worth watching.

Fine for young kids if you skip minutes 21-27

My kids are 8 and 11. My 11 year old's middle school Sunday school is discussing movies this summer and this was the first. My 11 year old is very sensitive so I previewed the whole shark attack portion of the movie and chose to skip a larger portion of it than others suggested here on Common Sense Media, I skipped from around minute 21 when they are just starting to surf until around minute 27 when they all pull into ambulance bay at the hospital, and just explained verbally what we were missing so they'd know who was where in the scene. During the scene in the hospital and emotional aftermath I provided some narrative and paused a few times to discuss why people were reacting the way they did. Also, in the scene the night before there is some foreshadowing that worried my kids so I told them the shark attack wasn't until the next scene and to just enjoy the party. My younger child ended up loving the movie and now wants to learn how to surf. There is a nice guy who mildly flirts, nothing concerning. At the end it shows videos of the real Bethany and that was a great way to have a conversation with my kids about the good she has done with her fame and that "a little bit of good" is generally expected from famous people in our society but that she chose to do a lot more. We also talked about how IRL she doesn't want to be seen as a disabled surfer or a female surfer, just as a surfer and how labels can put us in boxes made by other people. My 11 year old has a disability so this conversation was especially poignant for us because we've had to deal with similar boxes.

Very good

Use it in schools. Good film with educational value