Parent reviews for Spy Kids

Spy Kids Poster Image

Common Sense missed the mark again

It was just okay. But the amount of cleavage displayed by "Mom" was very disappointing. I check out potential movies to watch on Common Sense Media specifically to avoid this sort of thing.

2 people found this helpful.

I liked this movie as a kid but it’s painful to watch as an adult

I was about 11 or 12 when this movie came out and I remember that I liked it back then. It came on TV recently so I watched it for old times sake. It. Has. Not. Aged. Well. At. All. Very strange plot line involving a “toy craze” used to brain wash children. The acting isn’t good. The CGI is so dated that there are modern made for TV movies that look better. Kids might enjoy it but it’s not enjoyable for adults (or at least for me). It’s just another mindless childhood movie.

1 person found this helpful.

Creepy factor terrified my kids

Common sense media is my bible for movie watching with my kids. I’m baffled how this movie got such a young age rating. My almost 12 year old who has seen some scary stuff and has been unaffected by it wanted to stop watching because the cartoonish characters were so creepy. He literally covered his eyes and wouldn’t stay in his room at bedtime. He had nightmares from this and woke me up in the middle of the night. He hasn’t done that in over 6 years. Both my kids were also uncomfortable with the passion between the parents. No sex, but the scene leading up to kisses was too much for them. It’s a cute movie, but the cool gadgets are overwhelmed by the bad guys at every turn making it a bit stressful to watch.

1 person found this helpful.
It was a little scary for a six year old

Wish we had skipped this one

I was really disappointed in this movie. The sister is horrible to her brother (calling him names and generally giving him constant attitude); not good role models at all. Also, the monsters in this movie are really weird/creepy looking and could be scary for young viewers.

I have watched all of the spy kids in the WORLD! I love this movie and love all the action!

Okay Robert Rodriguez film has promise terrible effects

Spy Kids is a okay film. This is a franchise and the second film is a lot better than this. The effects are at the worst. Robert Rodriguez uses better effects on adult films like Sin City & Machete Kills .

Really Good, if you were 9 or older

We had fun watching this movie as a family but afterwards our seven year old found images and scenes troublesome. The movie gave him bad dreams. He was worried, particularly, about brainwashing. (It is kind of creepy to see dopplegangers.) Our adventuresome four year old loved it, though. Our four year old thinks it'd be a little scary for babies.