Parent reviews for Tangled

Tangled Poster Image

Not for intuitive young viewers-too violent

I only watched this movie based on 5+ reviews. It mentions peril, but the violence is way too much for children. There is even a stabbing in the movie and impending death. Not for young viewers. They are not emotionally prepared for the the extent of violence portrayed. Very disappointed.

3 people found this helpful.

jeez.

ok, this is supposed to be a kids movie, but I am being dead serious right now, this is for 8 and up. literally every part of the movie is kid friendly, except for two parts. there is abuse, and flynn gets a knife through the fricking chest! and there is blood! trust me there is! 8 AND UP!!!!! your welcome! :)

1 person found this helpful.

Deaths upset kids. Who knew?

Maybe your 7 year old won’t cry because one of the main characters (almost) dies, but ours did. Ruined the film for our child, but hey - Vote with your wallet. If you have young children who have not seen characters die - then magically come back to life - in a Disney movie, approach with caution or maybe try their next movie (Frozen). The fake mother’s gaslighting antics is only scary to the adults- it went over our kid’s heads.
1 person found this helpful.

best disney animation movie ive ever watched

The message the film sends is great. Very uplifting. It tells us to keep hoping, and to put yourself out there. it tells us that there are bad people and good people, but that good will win in the end. it was very so satisfying to see rapunzel free herself from her fake “mother”’s gaslighting even tho she was tricked by her for YEARS. the songs are very pretty as well, especially i see the light where both mandy moore and zachary levi sing in harmony. i got a dream was also such a fun song with a cute message. though people may look scary, they are also people with innocent dreams. everyone was a child at one point, innocent at one point. anyways, a beautiful movie. felt that rapunzel and eugene had the best chemistry between any couples from disney animation movies.

1 person found this helpful.
Spoilers ahead! So first of all, Tangled is so well-made, as can be expected from a company like Disney. But seriously, even though the movie is now over 10 years old, the animation and the soundtrack and the attention to detail and character development still blows me away. As a Disney movie, the target audience is children and has the intention to give young children a story to look to as an example of courage and kindness and family, which is delivered in a way that is accessible and moving not only to the younger age group, but to adult audiences as well. Overall, this movie can empower kids to see their worth, to choose to sacrifice for others, and to seek out community that will genuinely care for them. One of my absolute favorite things about Tangled is how it uplifts the dignity of the human person. Rapunzel is a victim of abuse - she was kidnapped and is repeatedly put down and gaslit by Mother Gothel - and throughout the movie, she comes to realize that she is made for more than captivity and that she has people who she can trust and be safe with. Tangled is motivated by and relevant to the experience of its audience, as many kids need an example of how to find the strength to speak up for themselves when they are wronged, and to find real community and discover the truth of how good and loved they are. I cannot tell you how much I have been inspired by Tangled. Watching Tangled as an adult, I was able to apply the messages in Rapunzel's journey to my faith life (I'm Christian). I saw God's persistent love for me in the King and Queen's resilient search for Rapunzel. I saw true and sacrificial love in Flynn and Rapunzel's relationship. I have been able to realize so many good, true, beautiful things because of this movie and I will never stop recommending it!

Not for Young Kids

The underlying story of this movie is seriously twisted for a kids movie. Child abduction, emotional abuse, and a stabbing scene just to name a few. My 5 year old could not watch the end after the stabbing because he was so scared. An older audience would be able to look past this and enjoy the movie, as it’s entertaining and visually stunning. But definitely NOT for young kids!!

Very funny!

Great, funny family movie. I enjoyed it just as much as my kids. Wonderful singing by Mandy Moore, Great songs by Alan Lerner, though a bit formulaic at this point.. The horse is hysterical. I would not recommend for under 6 due to violence. Predictable for adults, but well done overall. My kids want to watch it over and over. Highly recommend.

A kidnapped child falls in love with a thief

There is indeed the fact that characters like Rapunzel and Flynn believe in each other…but is also about a girl being kidnapped, a captor who is manipulative and mean, a thief (who is almost put to death). Not sure how this promotes a positive message for young girls.