All parent member reviews for The Adventures of Milo and Otis

Parent Written bymr jag January 1, 2011

One of our favorites

Good for the 4-yo and the 10-yo, too. Enjoyable movie.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bysandnmommy September 3, 2010

sweet movie

It can be a bit scary but overall my kids enjoy it.

Educator and Parent of a 7 year old Written byannefessler November 24, 2009

Not recommended

While it is a cute tale, the cats used to play Milo clearly were put in harm's way for filming numerous times. Milo was filmed plummeting off a cliff and going over a waterfall in a box. These scenes were shot from far enough away that we can see that there are not crew members nearby to rescue the cat if need be. We rented this without realizing the controversy surrounding it.

Adult Written byRobertM April 9, 2008

One of our family's favorite movies!

This is one of the best children's movies about animals there is. Even adults can enjoy it. There is one scene where a brown bear threatens the cat but the dog "fights" him off. The fighting is not much more than splashing but some children may find this a little scary. Other than that this is a great film.

Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bykbierma May 13, 2011

A delightfully sweet movie for kids, enjoyable for adults, too.

My daughter was delighted with this movie. This is almost like a documentary story. There are no humans, just animals and a man's voice as the narrator through the whole movie. The scenery is beautiful and the animal characters are engaging.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byjbella April 13, 2011

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

i love milo and otis.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byAmyWP September 8, 2010

Preschool daughter adores this movie

My 3.5-year old daughter loves this movie! She adores animals and she appreciates the friendship that develops between Milo & Otis. When she gets a little older, I plan to talk with her about how the movie was filmed and the controversy surrounding live animal performances.

Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe September 14, 2010

I LOVED this movie when I was younger and still find it charming, although now that I'm older some of the scenes do worry me. There are several scenes which clearly put the animals playing these characters are put in harms way. There are scenes of finding mates and having children but there isn't anything graphic. Overall still a wonderful story for children.

Parent of a 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byyushluv September 5, 2010

heart warming story

Parent Written byRKrieg June 20, 2011

Cruelty to animals

This film is delightful to watch, until you realize all the cruelty that was certainly in play during the making of it. Real cats and dogs are depicted suffering and fighting for their lives against real opponents, situations engineered by the filmmakers. Children listening to the narration will not be aware of what is really going on, but it is obvious to any adult observer -- especially when the kitten is flung off a 40-foot cliff into the ocean, or at the top of a tree trying to evade a snake.

Use your "common sense" and don't support this film.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 22, 2012

the adventures of milo and otis

Families can talk about the friendship between Milo and Otis. How is it special? How did they prove their loyalty to one another? What lessons can we learn from them?

What do you think about the allegations that the filmmakers endangered animals in the making of this movie? Does that change your experience of the film? Does it make you less likely to watch or recommend it?

Adult Written bynduns March 3, 2012

I almost feel bad for liking this...

If you know the history surrounding this movie, you'd understand. See, 10 of the 30 of the cats used for this film died on set, like, for real. In other words, these animals were in REAL danger. When the bear and the Otis fight, that's not staged. It's real. Heck, check out the original Japanese version and you'll see a lot of stuff this version didn't want you to see. And even some of the stuff they do keep in makes it painfully obvious these animals are actually honest-to-god harming themselves to make this movie work. Yeah, it's enjoyable as a film, but it's hard to really support such a creation when you know how it was made.

Parent Written byRebeccandme July 19, 2011

Banned!

Would your kids like this movie if they knew that hundreds of cats and dogs were killed during the making of this movie? It is true. It was made in Japan where there aren't any animal rights laws. It was banned temporarily in the U.S. and ever since in Canada.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

An absolutely amazing, wonderful movie!!! A bit gross in the birthing departments, but overall, very tender and loving!

Parent Written byA critical thinker March 21, 2012

Cute, but abusive to cats and not compelling

The seagull scene definitely counts as abuse. They terrorized that cat, then dropped into the ocean from a great height. That's not okay. My kids enjoyed the movie, but I thought it was pretty bad. These farm animals survived a snowy winter in caves without food, and the dogs' cave looked like something from an old Star Trek episode. My older son noticed, asking "what's that glowing green pool?" The pool was bubbling and emitting puffs of smoke; in a cave in the woods, really? It's easy to imagine the animals communicating to one another in Dudley Moore's voice, but some of the other implausibilities were too distracting.

Parent Written byJesseCaf March 30, 2013

not recommended

My wife and I cringed all throughout this movie as the animals were constantly in situations that you could tell were stressful/dangerous. Although that stuff all went over our 3-year-old's head, we won't watch it again. And they drop the poor cat off a cliff into the ocean...