All member reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man

Kid, 11 years old Written bymrbright July 3, 2012

Easily the Best Marvel Blockbuster

As promised, here is my review of the masterpiece - The Amazing Spider-Man. It surpasses all of the previous Marvel movies - Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, even the Avengers. This movie is more of a reboot than a remake. It has different characters and a different (but better) storyline. Andrew Garfield pleases as always. After his marvelous performance of Eduardo Saverin in the Social Network back in 2010, here he is in The Amazing Spider-Man as the lead. He is flawless as the awkward and young nerd who gets bullied a lot. He really put his blood, sweat, and tears working on this film. You can feel his emotion and it empowers your whole body. As for Emma Stone, she is pretty good as Peter Parker's girlfriend, also having effective and emotional parts in the film. Rhys Ifans is awesome as Doctor Connors, and *MILD SPOILER* the Lizard. *MILD SPOILER END* Everybody else does their work and does it well. Now, for the 3D review. The 3D is so-so, with some things jumping out at you, and in most scenes, showing the huge city's depth. Getting the 3D ticket is unnecessary. However, if you want to watch it in IMAX, you have to watch it in IMAX 3D. The IMAX makes you feel like you're in the movie, web-slinging across the city. Now, for the parental review. There are positive messages and role models. Peter is a courageous young man and tries to protect citizens at all costs. However, the bully, Flash, bullies many people and beats Peter up. There is strong violence in the movie, attacking, fighting, violence, bullying, and harshness. I jumped about 5 times in the movie, mostly because of the sudden spinning of webs and gunshots. But, be warned, there is a HUGE JUMP SCENE (I'm going to caps lock it to make sure everybody knows what it is): WHEN GWEN IS HIDING IN THE DARK BEHIND AN OBJECT, THERE IS SILENCE FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THEN THE LIZARD SUDDENLY POPS OUT AND SCREAMS, ACCOMPANIED BY SUDDEN AND FRIGHTENING MUSIC. I jumped so hard in that scene, everybody looked at me. For sexual content, there are a lot of long kisses between Peter and Gwen and other couples. Also, Peter also accidentally rips a woman's shirt off, revealing her in her bra. In the language department, there is a use of a*s and Peter uses mf word, but the f part of it, he creates a new word and says huher or something like that, so don't worry about that too much. As some people know, Sony supports this movie and once, there is two people watching a video, holding a Sony tablet. Also there are search engines shown, such as Google. This film is a part of the Marvel Universe, promoting Marvel movies. That's what the film has in terms of bad stuff. Overall, I say go watch this movie right now. You'll enjoy this thrilling movie that you'll never forget.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 3, 2012

12 and up.

this action/adventure movie The Amazing Spider-Man is a great action movie good for your teens and fans that like spider man and parents the only thing that spider man has is some mild violence and some mild language used the message is about Teamwork and collaboration play important roles, and love familial, romantic and the role models are that Peter Parker is really trying to do the right thing, but he often comes off as a classically immature teen self-absorbed, insensitive, and at times narcissistic and Gwen is a smart, independent young woman who, unlike many superhero movie female leads, doesn't need rescuing. Uncle Ben and Aunt May teach Peter the importance of responsbility and unconditional love.

Kid, 12 years old Written bymattp July 3, 2012

Definetly not dissapointing.

First of all, CSM pretty much has this movie nailed when it comes to what parents/anyone should know about this movie's violence, sex, language, etc. So, all I need to really talk about is how good the movie was.
When I came to the theater earlier this night, I was really excited to see this movie, and I wouldn't say it disappointed me. It had good acting, good CGI, good action sequences, decent enough pacing, and awesome makeup/ costume design/ general style. The movie isn't flawless, but it works (I might be judging it a bit too harshly, as I was prepared for a mind blowing spectacle. If I feel differently the second time I watch it, I might post an edit on my review) well enough. Some scenes I personally thought were a tad unnecessary, and in the end (as I said before) the pacing was a bit strange, but all in all, I'm certainly glad I saw it.

FINAL VERDICT *final at least for now*: The movie is a bit flawed, but it works out for the most part, kind of like the old Spiderman movies (of course the actual movie is nothing like the originals, without a couple of moments that remind you of the movie that came out only 12 years ago). If anything, it's certainly worth seeing and I would be happy to see an (inevitable) sequel.

Kid, 12 years old Written byHalf&Half July 3, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

This was VERY good. Garfield did better than Tobey Maguire. There was superhero violence, including mutilation, fight scenes, stabbing,death, and more. There was a scene of sensuality and there was some flirting. And some mild language. But except for the emotional intensity, this was fine.

Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

AMAZZING.

I am amazed to this movie, I really like it can be 10 and up. :)

Kid, 12 years old Written byKrashman1012 July 3, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man: Worth It! FULL REVIEW

Age-wise, this movie displays positive role models and messages. Peter's character tells you that there is a hero inside all of us, and everyone knows that even the Spider-Man comic books tell you that "With Great Power comes Great Responsibility." There's some epic violence that I wouldn't worry too much about, and there are some swear-words here and there, but I think just about any Spidey fan can see this.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was a movie that I had been waiting for since I was seven years old. It is a completely different movie than any of the old ones. Andrew and Emma were amazing when it came to acting, but Peter's character more than Gwen's. Marc Webb should really consider returning for a sequel to "try again" and make a movie that deserves an 11/10.

I liked how while the spider-powers didn't kick in too soon, an interesting plot involving Peter's parents did. The movie did a good job getting you interested on one thing, and then, BOOM, another plot point changes everything. It was really put together nicely.

The movie contained some HILARIOUS scenes, really depressing scenes, and amazing scenes, and they were all balanced out perfectly, except for near the end, where a funny scene is placed just to lighten up the mood, even though it's after a really depressing scene.

The big villain, The Lizard, will be hard to beat in upcoming superhero movies. He was a true threat to New York and had a reason to do what he was doing other than "I want to kill Spider-Man" or "I'm just crazy like that." Not only was the villain's character awesome, but the animation made him look real and scary. You can compare him to Venom and Sand-Man and see how much better he looks.

All in all, I give The Amazing Spider-Man an 8.5/9 out of 10. It truly deserves it's title of "amazing." There were scenes where I had to hold my breath or somewhat stop watching because of everything that was going on. If you are someone who doesn't really like the super-hero genre, then you are going to LOVE what Marc and Andrew have in store for you. If you're a comic book geek (which I don't think we have many of anymore) you are going to love how this compares to the comics and other superhero movies. It was truly worth it, and I hope to see it again soon

Teen, 14 years old Written byThorthegodofthunder July 3, 2012

Great Movie

This movie was fantastic. Andrew Garfield nailed Peter Parker. It was a great movie.

Kid, 12 years old Written byHedgypus47 July 3, 2012

"The Amazing Spider-Man" is definitely amazing

This movie deserves its title: it really is amazing. It will make you laugh, cry, and hold your breath while hoping Spider-Man will make it. Andrew Garfield was superb, as he played the role perfectly. Although his character isn't the best role model at times, in the end he is brave, funny, and a good guy. The visual effects were great and highly believable. It's a great story, great screenplay, and all the actors are great. It's also not very scary, gory, and it doesn't have much swearing, so it is fine for any kids who are allowed to see PG-13 movies. Overall, it was an excellent movie and I would see it again many times.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymonkmom July 4, 2012

Spiderman 3 is a great movie!

It was a great movie. I left when it got too scary, but only a couple of times. I loved it.

Parent Written byJoyC July 5, 2012

Great Reboot

I didn't think the recent series needed a reboot, but this was very good. No language to speak of, no sex, just some violence with a large man-lizard. Intense for small kids, but anyone over 8 should be very entertained.

Parent of a 10, 15, and 16 year old Written bymwestjohnson July 6, 2012

Not Your Average Peter

What was disappointing in this reboot to me, is that Peter Parker is portrayed as a more selfish, bratty, emotional teenager than before. His tantrums and lack of respect for his Aunt May and Uncle Ben had me stupeified. I will stick to the Sam Raimi versions, or the cartoons, for my Spiderman fix. I must say, my kids aged 10, 15 and 16 really enjoyed it. I would not want this Peter Parker as their role model though!

Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written bytwoandtwo July 10, 2012

Subtle but Troubling

My boys are superhero nuts, so they were very excited to go see this movie, as were their parents! The story was good-I enjoyed it even though I am very much a fan of the earlier movies with Toby Maguire. What bothered me were the role models that were portrayed in the two main characters-Peter and Gwen. Just a warning that Gwen's skirts are VERY short and Peter does not have integrity and self-sacrifice as his main focus by the end of the movie. (Spoiler Alert) He makes a promise to Gwen's dying father that he will not continue to pursue her because it would put her in danger, and then after he dies Peter makes a smirky comment about making promises he can't keep, leading to the assumption that he will indeed break his promise. This may have flown past my radar if I weren't there with my boys, but trying to raise kids to understand honor and self-sacrifice tends to make moms on alert for stuff like this. It was disappointing because so many kids will look to this character as a role model, and up until that point in the movie he was very likable.

Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 July 6, 2012

Pretty good film

Considering how much I liked the 2002 film, I was hesistant to watch this one. It was different, but it was pretty good. I think they should have resolved some story-lines (I won't spoil it for anyone), but overall it was good. Andrew Garfield was pretty good as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and I was very impressed with Emma Stone's portrayal of Gwen Stacy.
Violence: Typical superhero-style violence; car crashes, glass breakage, etc. Some guns are used by the police against Spider-Man and the main villian. Some blood is shown. One scene has the main villian jump out of nowhere, which could be frightening for some. A few deaths.
Sex: Some kissing/making out. Spider-Man accidentally rips off a woman's top, revealing her bra.
Language: Mild lanuguage like, h*ll, a**, d*mn. "Mother Hubbard" is used to replace Mother F-ker.

Parent Written byfatherkeith July 6, 2012

Great 3D movie

This is a great movie and took advantage of all of the 3D experiences. However, do not compare it to other spiderman movies or you will find flaws in it.

I will say that this is a movie for 13+ because of the sudden suprises during the movie.

Oh do not jump out of your seat to leave after the movie. There is a teaser after the credits. That is all I am going to say.

Educator and Parent Written bychiqmom July 6, 2012

An additional family talking point!

I think that you can also talk about the desire to be "perfect" or "strong", which is what drives the "villain" to madness, and how it is important to accept yourself as you are, weaknesses and all.
Also, for the younger viewers, this is a high school movie, so there is quite a bit of smooching going on. Thus, my suggestion that it's best for tweeners and up.

Adult Written byJEDI micah July 4, 2012

With great power, COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!!!

If there's one thing that is a complaint about this new reboot of our favorite web-slinging hero, it's that this Spider-Man slings his web from two devices instead of it coming out of his wrists like the other movie. The web devices make Spider-Man's climbing power as his only TRUE power. But, it is based on the comic. Other than that, this is an awesome movie! I love Spider-Man! It was totally worth seeing it in 3-D!

Parent Written bySuperMommy101 July 6, 2012

Good overall messages!

I just took my 9 year old son to see this movie. He has seen all 3 of the previous Spiderman movies (with Toby Maguire). Before going to this movie tonight I thought the other reviews about this movie being much better couldn't be all that... but this movie is better. It gives you more of the history of Pater Parker. I do think it is strange to throw in a new female lead (Gwenn). I never read the comic books, but I thought MJ was always Peter's love interest???
Once the credits come on at the end, make sure you hang around so you can see another minute of movie.
As far as the language goes, the "Mother Hubbard" saying that Peter says one time did not sound to me like it was supposed to be a replacement for another phrase. It fits right in the context...Gwenn is doing something that is taking care of a problem and it almost sounds like he is just sying she is acting like a little mama. My 9 year old son LOVED this movie and says it was better than the others. When it was over he asked why it couldn't have been 18 hours long!!!
This movie has more feeling/emotion than the other three and therefore I appreciated it more. But the action was still all there so he appreciated it more as well. The kid who plays Peter Parker does an excellent job (not to say that Toby Maguire didn't do a good job as well... I don't want to knock someone else's hard work). Martic Sheen and Sally Field were an EXCELLENT addition (and suprise... I had no idea Sally Field was in it!)
Overall a good movie and the action/violence is mostly between a lizard and Spiderman - not between real people. And Spiderman does a great job at helping real people. He is a responsible role model as well. He even replaced a man hole cover in the street after he came out of it (I am always trying to get my 9 year old to put things back the way he found them - or better).
I would recommend it, it was worth letting my son watch it.

Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2012

Not a Bad Movie

This movie was very good.It had a little kissing scenes but they were not intense. It had mild language and some fighting scenes. It might be a little scary for kids 7 and under. Overall, i thought the movie was very good.

Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written byjoanneguerrerio... July 9, 2012

Not for kids

I went to see Spiderman before I took my grandson. I felt the killing of his uncle was too vivid of a death. Also the death of his girl friends father was too vivid for children. These characters have to die for the story plot but for kids I think it does not have to be so vivid and bloody. Kids can walk away from that movie and have a negative reaction and be scared. The superhero stuff is OK and super hero fun . All of that is comic book . The vivid deaths of the two fathers i feel can negatively impact children. The movie could have been done without such detail of those deaths. It would not have been so sad.

Parent Written byreg70 July 7, 2012

Very Good

Well, I thought it was good! My son is 7 and he thought it was awesome! Of course, he has seen the last three Spider-Man movies and he liked them. No more violent than Star Wars. And if you child likes Star Wars then they will like this movie.