Parent reviews for The Apartment

The Apartment Poster Image

A Timeless Gem!

Few comedy films can be as tender and heart-warming as they are dark and cynical; fewer manage to shockingly wholly reveal their darkness and melodramatic core while still offering belly laughs. The Apartment wouldn't have the right to be dubbed a Comedy, if it weren't for Wilder's shrewdly light touch. While I.A.L. Diamond's screenplay (co-written with director Billy Wilder) couldn't have dealt with its extremely heavy underlying themes (infidelity, melancholy, exploitation, oppression, loss of self-respect and indignity, etc.) in a both more subtle and brilliantly sophisticated way, it's Billy Wilder's astute and meticulous direction that made this film a very unique dark comedy that feels as if it was released today. Any actor could have easily fallen victim to the dark and sad core of the story that deftly prevailed at some point, exactly as C.C. Baxter have been crestfallen when he realized that he lives in an oppressive world where everybody pursues his/her own self-interest. But Jack Lemmon, only through his eyes, injected pathos into the role when the movie took its very dark turn. I have been always impressed by how Williams captures the heartbreak and emotional devastation in the climactic scenes of her movies. I bet that Michelle Williams has learned that from Shirley MacLaine! For MacLaine here delivered an astonishingly remarkable and complex performance as the likable Fran Kubelik, who has a lot underneath her cheerful demeanor. I won't give any details about her character, but it goes without saying that she is one of the most complex cinematic characters that can give you an impactful insight into depression. it's no surprise that Kubelik has influenced many iconic female movie characters. A timeless comedy classic like no other, The Apartment is one of the absolute finest Best Picture winners that's pretty much perfect in every respect — directing-wise, script-wise, acting-wise. I just hoped if it ends on a bit sadder note. (9.5/10)

I really like this movie. It has a lot of great acting. It's not a kid's movie, and while there's nothing really upsetting about it, I don't think kids need to be immersed in sexual plots. Suicide is a tough kid's issue as well. Better left for the adults.