Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Avengers Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 468 kid reviews

Sort by:

Heroes work together in explosive comic-book adventure.

1 person found this helpful.

Occasional fantasy violence.

Intense action scenes where superheroes fight each other, and one scene where a man is stabbed in the back. Some blood and injury detail in combat.

“Enough! All of you are beneath me! I am a God, you dull creature, and I will not be bullied by-” “Puny God.”

The Avengers is a 2012 superhero action film directed by Joss Whedon and starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg. Language(3/5): The film has 4 uses of “damn” and “hell”, 2 uses of “piss” and 1 use of “son of a b**ch”, “G**”, “stupida**” and “bastards”. Loki calls Black Widow a “mewling quim”, which is olden language for “Whining c**t”, though very few will understand this and it shouldn’t be an issue. The film has 15 total curses. Sex, Romance and Nudity(1/5): Bruce Banner is briefly naked after transforming into the Hulk, however, no explicit nudity is shown. When a weapon malfunctions, Tony makes a joke about “performance issues”. Mild flirting occurs. Men are shown shirtless a few times. Tony and Pepper Potts share a brief kiss. Drinking, Drugs and Smoking(2/5): A very brief reference is made to “a huge bag of weed.” Characters drink champagne and beer in social situations. Violence(4/5): Frequent intense sci-fi violence. Loki travels to Earth using the tesseract stone in the beginning of the movie, and he stabs and kills several people with a spear, and possesses Erik Selvig and Hawkeye. Selvig and Hawkeye kill people with guns while possessed, and a car chase ensues, with many injuries and a few wrecks. The S.H.I.E.L.D. area is destroyed, with an implosion and many resulting explosions. The explosion results in a helicopter crash. Natasha Romanoff fights three men who have her tied up, breaking their arms. Bruce describes his attempted suicide bluntly, saying, “‘I put a bullet in my mouth, but the other guy spat it out.’” While arguing with Natasha, Bruce briefly raises his voice and appears like he may transform into the Hulk. Loki attacks a man at a party, ripping out his eye with some kind of device; not much is shown, but we do hear lots of gross noises and the mans screams in pain. Loki then blasts a few police cars, flipping them over, and holds a crowd of people hostage. The Avengers then intervene and take Loki up on a plane, but Thor then takes Loki out of the plane and into a forest. Iron Man discovers Thor and fights him in the forest, with many trees being destroyed. The fight ends when Captain America intervenes. Loki smashes the glass while intimidating Black Widow. Hawkeye puts an explosive arrow in the helicarrier, which blows up during a heated argument between the Avengers, and everyone tries to fix the damage while S.H.I.E.L.D. agents fight off the bad guys. Iron Man is sucked under the propeller and narrowly escapes, and Captain America is shot with a gun, receiving some minor bloody injuries. The explosion causes Bruce to turn into the Hulk, and he chases after Black Widow in an intense and slightly scary sequence. The Hulk then fights with Thor and destroys several weapons and planes. Black Widow fights Hawkeye, and Hawkeye returns to normal after Black Widow smashes his head onto a bar, knocking him out. Loki stabs Phil Coulson with his spear after Coulson threatens him with a gigantic gun. Coulson fires the gun at Loki, which sends him flying across the room, and Coulson bleeds to death from his injuries, with lots of blood shown. A plane starts shooting at the Hulk, and the Hulk jumps on the plane and starts destroying it; the pilot manages to escape using a parachute and the plane explodes. Loki opens up a portal to the aliens, and they invade New York. The Avengers get into a long fight with stunts, injuries, civilian deaths, bus and car wrecks, fistfighting, stabbing, death by grenades, gunfights, destruction of buildings, alien death, and many explosions. The Hulk destroys a lot of a building. The government decides to nuke the city to kill the aliens, however, Iron Man manages to catch the nuke and throw it into the portal, killing all the aliens. Iron Man almost dies, as the portal closes while he floats in space as the explosion consumes the aliens, but he survives. The aftermath of the destroyed city is shown. Positive Messages(3/5): The main message is about teamwork, with the Avengers showing that often and proving that working together is better than working individually. Other messages include heroism, perseverance, bravery, selflessness, integrity, courage and friendship. Positive Role Models and Representations(4/5): Each character has their own quirks and flaws, and the group let their frustrations get the best of them on occasion, but when push comes to shove, they work together for the greater good. Captain America is a great role model, Iron Man is a selfish person who develops into possibly the most selfless of the group, and the Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Thor work against their personal demons for the good of the world. Watching Experience: Quality(opinionated): (My rating) Rated PG-13 For intense sequences of sci-fi action violence throughout including brief bloody images, some language and brief suggestive material.

Depends of Mental Maturity Level

I personally enjoyed this movie at 12 years old, but I was at a mental maturity to handle it, having read so many books that contained content that is similar and watching tv shows that were similar. There was a lot of swearing, a bit excessive, a decent amount of violence, some drinking, etc. So it purely relies on what you can handle.

The super hero’s are really cool and they make kids happy when they save the day. Kids under 9 will probably not like it because of da cus words.

Very good movie that can be violent and contain some bad words

Amazing comic book movie that brought the 6 core heroes that have been in comic books for decades, this deserved all the popularity it got. Kids should be able to watch this if they can handle some of the violence and bad words. I wouldn’t say the best Marvel movie but definitely a really good start to the era.

Not for young kids but great

One of the best mcu movies watched it when I was 10! It has iron man captain america hulk (not edward norton) halkeye black widow and loki thor great action movie

Depends on your own child...

I LOVE this movie soooooo much! And if I were to add an age rating, I would write 10 and over. But it all depends on your child. Some children aren't as use to action movies than others...so just keep that in mind.

Depends on your own child...