All member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Holocaust drama sensitive, but never sentimental.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPhillipians4verse8 April 14, 2011

There is no use of "f---ing". Everything is offscreen. It's a very, very non-explicit and a film people should watch. The ending isn't explicit, but NOT FOR KIDS!!

Adult Written bywonder dove March 29, 2009

Powerful film, a must see!!

This film is powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The story is heart breaking and the ending is quite shocking. It will stick with you for many days after watching! The acting is amazing especially coming from the child actors. Definitely a must watch for 17's and up, but appropriate for mature minded tweens. I will watch this one again!!

Kid, 9 years old Written byhsm3 July 6, 2009

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?

this was a very good movie but the story.... the story is sad. When the movie ended and the credits roled down i was already crying my eyes out. When i showed my younger 9 year old cousin the trailer for this movie she just didnt understand what the boy behind the fence was going through and treated it like a joke. But if she had sene the movie she would have sene how cruel pepole can be and that the holocaust was no laughing matter. What happened to these boys was OUTRAGING AND TERRIBLY SAD. If your child is 11 years or younger in age have them read the book before they watch this movie.After i watched this movie i asked myself one question.... HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?! but i never got an answer.

Kid, 12 years old Written byFallenxLeaves August 11, 2009

Shocking and Brutal at the Climax: But a Must-See

When I went to see this with my school as an eleven year old, I was terrified. I've seen a great deal of horror movies, but this shocked me to the core.
The climax at the end reduced me and several other kids in my class to tears. However, I would say it's a must-watch as issues so sensitive need to shown rather than ignored.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylilcheer April 18, 2009

see it no matter what. sad.

O MY GOD. this movie broke my heart. I was ballling. still am. Great movie, but if you hate sad movies like me, then don't watch it. :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( omg im crying. its a great movie you have to see it though.

Kid, 11 years old Written byblue.penguin_12 March 30, 2009

Bring a tissue when you see this movie

It is incredibly sad!!! There are two young boys who were meant to be enemy's became best freinds 'till life's end! Bruno an naive little boy who did not know he was a Nazis and Shmuel an intelligent little Jewish boy. Bruno makes a daring trip to Shmuel's side of the fence and he tells Shmuel "You are my best friend, my best friend for life" and that was true they were friends until life's end.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFreedomGirl March 26, 2010

Best friends for life. . . and after life.

I thought it was SO sad. . . . I wished that the ending was differen't, but that's what happened. . . I think people should watch this. . I know it's very sad, but that's what happened back then. People need to see these things to make sure it will never happen again. Believe me, I wished none of them got gased. . I don't care if they're jew, gypsy, white, black, hispanic. . . or anything else, I would have never stooped to putting inoccent people in consintration camps. . . I think it is so sweet how those boys became best friends, dispite differences. Sometimes it takes a child to show a grown-up how foolish they are. To think, the leader of that death camp's own son died. . BECAUSE of the death camp, because of the nazis, and because of him. I'm crying typing this, so I will stop for now. But I believe people should watch it, but at least 12 and over.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBeliefs-Wonder May 4, 2010

Wow, yet still people laugh about Jews. . . .

All I can say is, I'm so sorry. . It was an amazing movie and book, I cried at the end of both of them. What would I have done to save all of them. Anything. I would have done anything.
Next time I see anyone with a Nazi sign at school, I take it, I burn it. Unless its on their skin, then I'll rub it off their skin. They have no clue what it means, they think, but not really KNOW. Never EVER like the Nazi's, not after what they did.

Kid, 12 years old Written byBFF GIRL THATS ... December 12, 2009

one of the best holocoast movies in history!

this movie is one of the best holocoast movies in history! It tells a very unique story about 2 boys one german one jewish who are put together as friends but are seperated by a barbed wire fence. The fence isnt the only thing that seperates them Religion, nazies, the war that all seperates them as well. But there is one important thing that unites them: HOPE and of course friendship. During there adventure together there friendship grows stronger until nothing can seperate them. I recomend this to kids 12+.

Parent of a 14 year old Written bykalley11 May 21, 2009

how wonderful a movie!

this is a very good movie I wish there was no bad language though.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPoison Ivey December 2, 2008

Truly moving

I loved this movie so much! i look foreward to seeing it again. It was really sad how the Nazis treated the Jewish people. It was a violent film, for some people it might be hard to take in. I also liked the music. The movie was better than the book, and much more accurate as well. Whoever hasn't seen this movie- i don't know what you're waiting for! Get to the theaters now!

Kid, 12 years old Written byerraggarn98 June 4, 2011

Very, very, very sad movie!

In this movie they really get you attached to the main character " Bruno ". I like this movie because it shows that it doesnt matter what you are, it matters what you are INSIDE. Bruno and Schmaul were great kids who were innocent 100%. Its really horrible what the Germans did in the World War 2! Not suitable for kids under 12!

Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 23, 2011

Ah-Maz-ing!

It was such a great movie! I loved it with all my heart! But in the middle/end I had to turn it off. I cried because of what the little boy's father did to him and his friend! Its a positive message because the Bruno didn't care what Shultz looked like he wanted to help.

Adult Written bymuchkasmom November 30, 2008

A Must See!!

This is a beautiful, well made film about the Holocaust. It's advertised as a family film but young children will not understand some of what's going on. My almost 12 year old loved it although during our discussion she wasn't sure of exactly what was happening at the end. I think one has to have a bit of backgroud on the Holocaust.
Wonderful acting and a story that moves along keeping you on the edge of your seat all add to it's brilliance. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time.

Kid, 10 years old Written byEminemForeva8 September 11, 2011

Very Sad..

I felt bad for when Bruno, Shmuel, and the other Jewish men were gassed in that hut. No one deserves to be treated like that.. Oh, and really? A SHOWER?!?! How is THAT a shower?! Ok, *ahem* I'm sorry. Well, I didn't really cry at all. I still felt bad.. I HATE RACISM!! I really felt bad for mostly, Shmuel.. Poor, poor, boy. The gas chamber thing is still haunting me.. But soon after that, since in was 10:00 p.m. when I watched it, and it was supposed to end at 12:00 a.m., my mom woke up because of when Bruno's mom was crying. She turned off the tv ~_-'!!!! I watched most of it though.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 19 year old Written bydolalee December 20, 2008

Beautiful and Thought Provoking

I would recommend this film highly for all adults and the more serious minded kids 12+. Not for light-hearted kids without knowledge of the Holocaust. This is a very moving reminder of the tragedies of the Holocaust. It reveals each family member's struggle to make sense of what the father is a part of. A couple of violent acts are understood, but not shown. Anyone with knowledge of death camps will be moved, but not shocked.

Kid, 10 years old Written bybruno2k9 May 8, 2010

moving

When I saw the film, I was so unhappy for days after thinking about what people actually did to destroy a race. I found Bruno (which i didnt like the boy to be called as i am called) a 8 year old boy who's dad becomes the comendat (dont no if thats how u spell it) and moves the family nearer to where he works which was Auschwitz a terible place to be. Bruno likes to explore, and when he does he meets Schultz, a small Jewish boy who he befriends. When Bruno falls off his swing, another 'farmer' called Pavel helps him up and which Pavel later gets beaten which i think finished him off. Beause the next time Bruno see's a farmer working in his house its Schultz
and Bruno gave him some food which then says he didnt and the next time he sees him he lookes batterd. Also another soldier tells Bruno's mum what the smoke actually is ' they smell even worse when we burn them' he says, and the mum finally clicks what her husband actually doing. To make up for what he did th Schultz, Bruno helps him find his dad which was obviously killed in a gas chameber, but when bruno went in with the pjs on, his and Schultz's numbers are called and they are led to believe they are having a shower. they breather there last and are killed and thats when Bruno's dad finally realises what happened when he finds brunos clothes left by a hole he went through to help Schultz. another film to whatch if u liked this is shcindlers list (dunno how to spell that either)

Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieboy23 May 9, 2013

Boy In the Striped PJs

I think that this show "Boy in the Striped pajamas" I a very good show. It does sugar coat the holocaust a little but otherwise it is an ok view on what happened in the holocaust.

Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Best Holocaust Movie for Young Children

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very good, educational movie that I highly suggest for family viewing. However, I do not suggest showing the movie to children without first discussing the Holocaust with them so that they have a better understanding of the movie and the issues it discusses. There could be some slightly inappropriate content as far as language and violence, so it's important as a parent to view this movie first to make sure that you feel comfortable sharing this material with your child. In my opinion, it is one of the best, non-graphic, Holocaust films and a good tool to teach young children about the topic of the Holocaust in an age-appropriate way.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBieberFreakinFever December 29, 2011

ONE OF THE SADEST MOST MOVEING MOVIES OF ALL THE CENTURY.

I loved this movie. It was so moveing and so extremly sad and depressing. It tells and reveals a great deal about the holocaust and at the end the two main characters( which are two 8 year old boys) and other concentration camp prisoners are gassed to death. The end was truly heartbreaking and really opened my eye up to what the holocaust really was. Let me just say i am so glad that terrible war is over. R.I.P all you innocent jewish people. May something like this never EVER happen again.