Parent reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas Poster Image

Not historically based

This is poorly researched fiction pretending to be about the Holocaust. As a teacher, what I find most upsetting is that, upon finishing this book or film, students generally express sympathy for "the little German boy who wasn't even supposed to be there." Through the addition of the propaganda video, students also express a belief that the German people had no idea what was happening in the concentration and death camps. The main idea that students seem to be left with is that it was so sad for the Nazi family, who lost their son even though he didn't deserve to be killed. What a terrifying and dangerous idea to leave with students or any age!
3 people found this helpful.

Very sad film

Its an excellent film but the ending is too shocking and heartbreaking for anyone under 16!

1 person found this helpful.

Very sad but my kids loved

Make sure your kid can handle this sad film. But it is not violent wahtsoever

My parents let me watch this movie at 8 yrs old

I had nightmares for at least 2 weeks after watching it and freaked out after learning I had to watch it again, for school, years later. If that’s not enough I also once made a joke while driving through some smoke from a wild fire that “it smells like Jews” (I was 9 or 10). I stand by the fact that I hate sad movies and avoid them at all cost. I also wouldn’t recommend ‘Braveheart’ or ‘2012’ which I am also traumatized by.

I have some issues with this.

First of all, there are some errors in this. Gretal would be in the Hitler Youth, and Shmuel would have been gassed immediantly at the camp. Even if they didn't do that to Shmuel, he would be working 24/7 and wouldn't have time to sneak away. An the ending was rushed. One minute, everything was a good structured, well thought out story. Then opps, they died. The end.

i think that it’s an amazing movie and that it should be an 12+ even tho it’s such a sad movie and has a upsetting twist at the end , it really educates the kids and even adults to realise and learn about how Jews got treated in theses concentration camps . it makes u realise how awful it is

A good conversation starter for one of the most difficult of topics

A very well made, engaging film with more than enough thematically to use for some good conversation - for example, the fact that Bruno's family are just 'normal' from his perspective and they seem perfectly nice and normal to us too, therefore how could they do such evil?

Not for the faint hearted.

Yes, obviously fiction but based on some facts. Gives you a sense of the nightmare that people with, Jewish religion, were exposed to and suffered just for who they were, not what they had done. Scary that the concentration camps and all that they stood for, were allowed in the first place. Scary that there may still be dictators and leaders that are capable of such brutality.

A heartbreaking launching point for an important discussion

I mistook this movie for another one recommended to me about a young German boy in the Holocaust. As such, I didn't really preview it before choosing it for my family. My almost 13 y/o boy and I were in tears at the end, and my sensitive husband was impacted pretty deeply. While the story itself is unrealistic, the movie provides a glimpse into the horrors wreaked upon fellow human beings that provides a good launching point for an important discussion about history. I think younger kids simply wouldn't get it. My son is in sort of that sweet spot where he is old enough to have understood exactly what was happening and young enough to have been deeply affected (if that makes any sense). One kid suggested parents screen it first without their kids; I think that's a good idea.

Empty, artless and gratuitously morbid

We know what happened during the Holocaust. There is no need to paste it on our screens in such a heavy-handed and obvious manner. This will disturb even young teenagers, and thanks to the simplistic script with its one-dimensional characters there is little to be gained from watching apart from visualization of the horror experienced by those unfortunate enough to be involved. Teachers take note - just because a movie is factually accurate doesn’t mean kids should see it. There is nothing to be learned here.