All parent member reviews for The Conjuring

Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 July 19, 2013

GOOD CLASSIC HORROR IS BACK

This is a great classic horror movie... think back from when you were young watching The Ammytiville Horror movie. I really dont recall the once cuss word (the S word), but I guess there was one... but other than that no cuss words. The other words like d a m n, etc. are used, but thats more subjective if it bothers you. No nudity or sex (only two quick innuendos that you need to be old enough to understand), which is GREAT since hollywood thinks that it isnt a horror movie without orgies and drugs.
So even though it's rated R, it's really more for the terror than anything else... it should really be PG13... they got the ratings backwards... MOST of what passes off as PG13 now is filled with sex, drugs, curses, needless violence... MOST of todays PG13 SHOULD be more like PG16 or rated R. I took my wife and 12 y/o...BUT ONLY because I knew that my daughter was finally mature enough for this level of terror... I DEFINATELY WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN HER WHEN SHE WAS 11... she would have been too terrified last year... so you really need to know very well what level of terror your children can handle.

TO COMMOM SENSE MEDIA: YOU KNOW ITS REALLY STUPID THAT I HAD TO EDIT MY POST CAUSE YOUR PROGRAM WAS BLOCKING IT DUE TO MY "LANGUAGE"... I WROTE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WROTE AS YOUR OFFICIAL REVIEW ABOUT THE S-WORD WITH THE S FOLLOWED BY DASHES AND I HAD TO SEPARATE THE WORD d a m n!!! SO WHY IS IT OK FOR YOUR OFFICIAL REVIEW TO HAVE THOSE WORDS IN IT AND MORE AND MY REVIEW CANT HAVE THE SAME LANGUAGE???? MAN, TALK ABOUT TOTAL HYPOCRACY... DO AS YOU SAY AND NOT AS YOU DO???? SMART, REAL SMART! CHECK YOURSELVES FIRST THEN... BEFORE YOU BLOCK OUR LANGUAGE!
LIKE I POINTED OUT, I USED LESS OF THE SAME LANGUAGE THAT YOUR OFFICIAL REVIEWER USED.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byJonathon Stockhausen July 19, 2013

Finally, some horror that doesn't rely on gory violence, sex and language

Finally we have got a horror movie that is rated r only for its terror. The conjuring doesn't rely on swearing, gore and nudity for it to be truly frightening. They say sh_t once, but other than that, no other bad words are used. The is no sex, other than extremely mild innuendo. The movie is just classic horror brought to a modern level. Tweens should not watch this movie unless you believe that they are mature. The conjuring is the highlight of the summer movie series and is a must watch because its horror will scare the living daylights out of you. Any teenager can watch this as long as they watch it with a parent/guardian/ older sibling. Your child will probably ask if he/she can watch this movie. Decide on their age. I believe that only teens and mature Tweens can handle the conjuring. all in all, this movie is a great movie and is a great conversation starter for many movie fanatics.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bywatchfulguardian32 July 19, 2013

Scariest film that doesnt rely on violence, sex and language, a teen can handle it

This movie was mainly rated R for one reason... The terrifying, but amazing story. There is no sexual material and no curse words. Imagine it as a truly frightening PG-13 movie. Your child can handle this if he can handle a movie with no sex, language, drugs/alcohol, and just plain terror. The scary part of the conjuring is that it is based on a true tale taken place 35-40 years ago. do not let your child watch this if he is still a tween (10-12 yrs. old) Read a few more reviews before you let your child watch this movie. This movie is best seen at night but if you have a younger teen, seeing it during daytime or the evening is best. All in all, the conjuring is truly scary and does a good job, which is mainly scaring your pants off! I would give this movie a 5/5.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byarhudson0405 July 22, 2013

Know What Your Child Can Handle Beforehand!

I took my 12 year old to see it after reading a bunch of reviews and asking a friends opinion. It was more of a jump scare kind of thing. But my 12 year old is very cynical and tends to laugh off the scares, using logic to explain most of the things on the screen away. This movie would depend on your child's maturity level. It's not a movie I would take my 14 year old to see since he basically has the mental age of an 8 year old. This is a definite no go for him. But for a mature 12 year old or 14 year old who isn't sensitive to such things it's a good scare. But I'm normally an easy going mom that isn't bothered by language and gore. It's sexual things that I'll edit out.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byNolane July 22, 2013

Scary, terrific horror movie

Intense and extremely scary, this is an expertly made and executed horror movie. While the violence never gets too gory, the movie is so scary that it really does not matter. What makes the movie work, more than the scares, however, is the fact that all of the characters are well developed and sympathetic. The fact that some great acting is involved across the board helps as well. Not the greatest horror movie ever made, but one of the top ten I would say.

Adult Written byRarityfan August 5, 2013

Ed & Lorraine Warren in the house.

For decades ago a family moved into an old house by a forest. But suddenly unseen things comes up at night. Ed and Lorraine Warren comes by. The pair tells the family they can't escape the spirits that once lived there in the surroundings. Some of the highlights includes a doll. The sound and editing deserves an Oscar nom. Not recommended for kids under 15. Many scares comes with a possessed person. Bad language at times. Ed and Lorraine that is having a museum are helpful. But Lorraine is having bad memories, and in one scene we see her past. So the lesson is that ghost hunters are not Supermen, and that an exorcism can go wrong. Get this on Blu Ray when Halloween is around the corner.

Adult Written bywonder dove August 7, 2013

Loved it.

First of all, I am not really one for paranormal type stuff which is why I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity movies. However, this one seemed so interesting that I gave it a shot and I'm SO glad I did because it was highly enjoyable!! I cannot wait to purchase this on DVD. It's a perfect addition to any horror lovers collection and would be an ideal Halloween movie. I loved the characters, the setting, the fact it was based on a true story and the cast was amazing. If you're looking to scare yourself silly, this is it! Language is pretty tame with a few minor words throughout (no f-words or other harsh cursing). Violence is not too gory but very frightening with the death of a family dog, characters are thrown around the room, a possessed doll terrifies a child, a woman is knocked down a flight of stairs, smashing picture frames, yelling and demonic activity during an exorcism. Sexual content is very mild with affection between husbands and wives, a kiss or two, reference to sleeping together but nothing more. No smoking, drinking or drugs shown. Age of the viewer depends on the maturity level, content is strong...may cause severe nightmares!!! This is certainly NOT for kids. I'd say 17+ seems fair.

Parent of a 18 year old Written byTsion August 4, 2013

Creepy and Powerful Horror Movie

The Conjuring is one of the best offerings the horror genre has given audiences in a while. Director James Wan seemingly takes everything he's learned from his previous horror-movie efforts (Saw, Insidious, Dead Silence) and puts it to astonishingly good use here, creating a stunning if not perfect scary movie that is as emotional and powerful as it is frightening. Even if it doesn't send you home with nightmares (the "scariest movie ever made" hype is a tad overrated, I'm afraid) its meditations on faith, spirituality, and family with doubtless stay with you after the credits roll. The story revolves around (what else) a haunted house and haunted family that are investigated by real Catholic mediums Ed and Lorraine Warren (the movie is based on a true story and Lorraine Warren was a consultant on set). It seems a demon is terrorizing the Perron family, and the Warrens are their last hope at saving their family from terrible harm. The movie is rated R allegedly for being "too scary." While it's true that the movie has no inappropriate material to warrant the R rating (language and sexual content is negligible, and violence consists of solely disturbing images but no on-screen deaths or overtly violent imagery), I'm not sure the scares alone are enough to warrant the R-rating. The movie is frightening, don't get me wrong, but it feels much more along the lines of a strong PG-13 than R. Scary images include your standard poltergeists clapping invisibly and whispering in humans' ears. People are thrown around a room by a demonic presence. Threatening ghosts include a creepy little girl and boy, a mother who has (while possessed) killed her child and is shown holding a bloody knife, and a maid with cuts on her arms. A parent threatens his/her child while under the influence of a demonic spectre. Positive elements in the movie include the protagonists' unwavering commitment to their families, their faith in helping other people, and the Warren's devotion to each other and their daughter.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byMerrie August 9, 2013

Expertly crafted,Suspenseful, Well-acted and well worth the cost of a ticket-for tweens and up!

The R rating on this film was a ridiculous decision. I brought my 14 and 15 year old to see it. They loved it so much, we went back to see it again. My kids love horror movies and it is rare that a quality suspense/horror film is made that teens can see that is not offensive. The fact that this movie is based on a true story makes it all the more interesting. I researched the story along with my kids after we saw it and it turned into a bit of a history lesson. There is information about the era of witch craft accusations related to the story and also, the practice of excorcism, which is a fascinating part of history and continues today. This movie is well-acted and it is the subtlety of the the script and editing that keeps the audience on it's toes, cowering in fear in many many scenes. The family and Ghost-hunting team are also very likeable, there is no fall guy, or scape goat in this story; you root for everyone. Obviously, if your tween or teen is prone to nightmares, have common sense and do not bring them. If they cannot tolerate haunted houses at Halloween or other scary movie; this is not for them.It is a real shame that that there is finally a scary movie that does not rely on sex, bad language and excessive gore for cheap thrills and it is rated R. I recommend it ages 12 and up depending on scare tolerance.

Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Learn A Lesson, No Horrors For Kids

My two 10 year old's thought this movie was about trees growing, same as me but boy we were wrong and didnt know why it was rated R, until the movie started, my two 10 year olds little friends told them it was about trees, so we didnt look at any reviews or trailers, and we were the only parents with children. and when the movie started our kids freaked out and we only saw 30 mins of the movie before we left. thats a lesson to be learned. always check trailers and reviews. we went to our 2 childrens friend house and we go the friend grounded for a year. thats pay back for thinking we are in a tree movie that's for sure

Adult Written byncnolin1214 July 30, 2013

Overall--Not worth the time

There are scary parts, enough that it is not suitable for kids. There are much scarier movies out there though. I do not know, it is not as scary as I thought it would be. The woman does say the s word once. Otherwise, the main issue is that it still is scary. The father has some alcohol one night, but that is it. It is interesting that it was based on a true story and real people.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byGenevieve- August 22, 2013

The only thing is the frightfulness.

This is an amazing movie. I look my niece (11) and nephew (14) to see this. Some mild language was used but not like "The Heat". Violence was only the typical horror violence. The only part about this movie that Parents and Teens should beware of is the scariness and how intense this movie is. Anyone over 10 can handle this unless they're wimps, haha.

Parent Written bySha_nay_nay_ July 29, 2013

THIS MOVIE BE THA BOMBDIGGTY.ORG

This movie is the best movie next to mean girls. It really funny because the mom try's to eat her daughter. Lol.

Parent Written byizzycoffe September 21, 2013

SCARY good stuff!

The Conjuring is a real horror film, that features plenty of shocking moments and jump scares. Is it good? Definitely! Actually is one of the best movies I've seen this year so far... And can be called a horror classic. Is it for kids? NO, never , it's just too scary and disturbing for a child. Normally a teenager should be able to handle a movie like this, but parents... Be aware! This one could be even too intense for your teen.

Adult Written bychristian2011 November 10, 2013

Seriously scary horror film brings brilliance in terms of story and acting - combined with the classical horror genre. Definitely pays off.

Viewers should be aware that this paranormal-horror movie is based on a true story, as based on actual events which occurred back in the early 1970's directed to the Perron family. Real-life demonologists Lorraine and Ed Warren eventually become intrigued by Carolyn Perron, who describes these bizarre and disturbing occurrences happening in her home and is desperate to find the source. There's also a creepy backstory on the real-life doll known as Annabelle, a conduit of a demonic entity. The elaborate scare tactics are expertly devised and the previous cases which led this particular house to be haunted will disturb and mortify some viewers. The language is infrequent, only a few uses of sh*t and god**n. There's no sex, drugs or gore exposed in this movie - but it is rated R for the sheer volume of relentless and explicit terror shown throughout the film, and makes it even scarier since it's based on a TRUE story. Definitely not for the faint hearted, but horror fans will absolutely become infatuated with this one. It's great to see a classic horror film with a great background story and captivating performances by these talented actors, even the kids!

Parent Written byjeromewankel October 28, 2013

Worthable to watch

Entirely sweet and lovable. An old fashioned modern scary movie that actually works.

Realhostingreviews.in

Parent Written bymom232013 September 6, 2013

"The Conjuring" You'll never sleep without a light on again! ( and even that won't help you!)

Wow...SCARY as in...VERY. I have not seen a true scare- you -long -after- you -leave- the -theater movie since ,"The Shining" or "The Exorcist". This is a film about a family that moves into a remote farmhouse in Rhode Island and let's just say that they aren't the only ones "living" there. Things that go bump in the night...pictures falling off of walls... and a demon straight out of H**L are just some of the things that will leave you sleeping with the lights on. (I'm 48!) NOT for kids. Older teens and up. Violent (not gory) and disturbing, but truly a run- for- your- life kind of film.

Adult Written byWREN345 November 2, 2013

Anthoer great James Wan film!!!

Very very intense but awesome! The scariest scene for sure is the Exorcism and the transformations that happen. There is blood and very disturbing noises and atmosphere.

Parent of a 3, 5, 9, and 13 year old Written bythelibrarycat66 October 22, 2013

VERY WELL MADE MOVIE

I took my boys, ages 9 & 13, to see this in the theater. They both LOVED it. I did rate this for ages 12 & up, based on the "average kid". My 9 year old happens to really enjoy paranormal shows and books. I did my research ahead of time and felt that he could "handle" this movie. I was right. You need to know your child. We frequently watched ghost hunting shows and other such shows about paranormal activity, so the events in The Conjuring did not overwhelm him. And yes, I have received some flack from friends and family about it, but I'm 99% sure they haven't seen the movie themselves and are just judging by the media message of how "terrifying" it is. YOU know YOUR child. Make your decision on your gut instinct, not on what someone else judges to be right or wrong.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written bybridgeciaj October 18, 2013

Well done, respectful and scary!

I screamed (loudly) when I saw the trailer for this movie and knew I had to see it. My kids are at an age where they really like scary movies. My daughter (13) was scared, son (15) less so.
(spoiler) The Mom being possessed and trying to kill her children did freak my daughter out a bit (maybe that's a good thing next time I'm angry?), but no nightmares ensued. We really had a good time and talked about it all afterwards. I especially appreciated that the evil wasn't dismissed as having no power or something we can just dismiss. The Warrens' had respect for the evil and for God. The entire movie, while a fairly dark horror film about good battling evil and possession, has some positive elements: respect for God, church, faith, how good conquers with faith and perseverance. I also liked the relationships within the story, the marriages were positive during very difficult circumstances.
The scares were very well done and kept you on the edge of your seat without being gratuitous. I would put this up there with The Sixth Sense in the genre of horror films (vs. slasher or coed studded horror movie).